Poor Quality Year

Discussion in 'Trail Cameras' started by IowaBowhunter5, Oct 14, 2012.

1. IowaBowhunter5

IowaBowhunter5 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Now, for a farm that usually produces 5 140+ and 1 160+ bucks a year, this year has stunk. These are the only two bucks I've had on cam up to date. If you had two buck tags would you shoot one of these deer for your 2nd buck with a bow? Or should I let them grow. I'm definately saving my other tags for the rut and later. I mean they both only score prolly 70. Can't really tell about the scond one. Just looking for oppinions I guess. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. ksandman

ksandman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would shoot one of them, trail camera pics have shown good pictures and bucks for me but after 5 sits and 0 sightings this year.... Ya it has stunk.

3. JCraig

JCraig Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like a couple nice bucks!

4. youngfart

youngfart Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    For a Second Buck
    For a meat buck I would for sure,you can't eat antler.
    Rocky

5. sharpbroadheads

sharpbroadheads Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    it depends, ultimately its your decision. depends on what your goals are. if you want one for meat...sure, shoot one. however from your original post it sounds as if you are concerned with age/antler size as well....if that is the case I wouldnt shoot either. a commitment to only shoot older (bigger) deer means being willing to go without filling a tag rather than shoot a younger age class deer. if you are used to having 150 class deer on the property....letting a 100 inch deer go is a good way to ensure you still do in the future

6. DoubleLung

DoubleLung Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    On a property that sounds like it produces big deer I would pass. Expecially if your practicing deer management.

7. IowaBowhunter5

IowaBowhunter5 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys. I thought these were older deer with bad genes? I must be wrong. I'm not real good with agess. And I might take one as a meat buck. I figured I'd cull one if they were old with bad genes.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  8. timmy_ar

timmy_ar Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Not sure if genetics has alot to do with it this year. Everyone thought last years drought was bad, they were wrong. Crops don't even compare to last year. Same I believe will go with the deer. I had a huge 10pt on cam last season that I watched all the way til he dropped both antlers and this year all the pics I have gotten of him he actually looks like he lost mass. Same goes with some of our other deer. Just my .02