What food or attractants do you use?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Spear, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I filled the automatic feeder with a 50:50 mix of corn and All-Stock Sweet Feed (ruminant meat and bone meal free), connected 2 deer paths and put a mineral block on the connector path, put out a crunch block and a mock scrape on the main ridge that the deer travel on. I took off work on Friday and everything seems to be all set for a long weekend of hardcore hunting. What kind of feed or attractants do you use? Any tricks or things you do to help your odds before a hardcore week/weekend of hunting?

2. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I used to put in a lot of time researching attractants and other methods for attracting deer, but perhaps the most useful information I've ever received about it was to not us any attractants. Simply put, a mature buck doesn't like new things and adding anything to his home will alert him to our presence. I took this advice and started seeing more and more deer on my sits. I'm not saying attractants don't work, because that would be a flat out lie. I just pointing out what I now do and it seems to work out well for the time being; however, I do live in IL and we are allowed (by law) to use bait.

I say put in the extra time scouting pre and post season, but the most important scouting is while you’re hunting this season. Good luck.

3. BShunter

BShunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Monster RAXX. Add whitetail magnet to whatever you are feeding and you will be amazed!

4. wolvenkinde

wolvenkinde Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I also avoid adding any new foods or minerals for attracting mature bucks...but for the doe harvest stands I use regular livestock salt w/minerals and mix in grape koolaid and suger. Also apples, corn etc and later after snow sticks/freeze up turnips. Otherwise I hunt the scrapes and main travel routes...use regular(not estrous) doe urine and buck urine.

5. Praetorian27

Praetorian27 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    We aren't allowed to use anything at all in NY. Only scents and calls. We can plant food plots for them to eat though...but there is talk among Encon officers of that being changed soon as well.

6. JCraig

JCraig Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    No bait in Maine, lots of guys set up near apple trees or grow food plots

7. nanook

nanook Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am thinking of using Code Blue's double drag rag while going to my stand have you guys used that at all?

I know selfbros was saying we can use bait in IL but I think its different on public land. I know we can use drag rags it would be nice if I could hang some doe estrous close by from what I was reading on the DNR site I don't think I can do that on public land.

8. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe I should have explained my situation. I actually only have an 8.5 wooded acre lot to work with. It butts up to an animal farm and other wooded lots but not much crop or opportunity for a food plot. What we do have is plenty of ridges and bedding area. I hunt the travelling routes and although we see deer, I have no choice but to do what I can to improve the heard and create a deer haven so to speak by putting out mineral licks, protein feed, mock scrapes, etc. Oh, and although I am not against any form of legal hunting, I do not hunt over a bait pile or anything simply because I just don't want to. I do however put these things on my property to get deer to travel my property more.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  9. RackHunter

RackHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Crop feilds surround my hunting area. No need to put out any food or attractants. Maybe some minerals on occassion.

10. REMYNGTON

REMYNGTON Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yep no baiting or feeding in RI either just scents and calls. Yet u can buy baits and feed at Walmart or ****ssportinggoods in RI. Lmao. Doesn't make much sense to me. But oh well, I don't think I would bait deer even if it were allowed. Just seems to take the "hunting" out of hunting. IMO.

11. Pro V1

Pro V1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Corn, apples, peanut butter & molasses.

12. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry I had a typo back there, in IL you can not use bait. People around my parts are finding that out the hard way by hunting corn fields that were mowed down instead of harvested.

13. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Corn, Whitetail Magnet by MonsterRaxx and Feeder Fire by Wildgame Innovations.

14. Bill2311

Bill2311 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    No bait in PA but for off season photos, peanut butter.
    Take off the lid and use two deck screws to attach it to a tree. Screw the jar back onto the lid. Take a sharp knife and cut out the bottom of the plastic jar. It will also give you good photos of squirrels and racoons.

15. oneshotonly

oneshotonly Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Corn and Sugar beets

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

16. luke/r

luke/r Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Cornfields, bean fields, turnip and rape plot.