Maybe I should rethink this

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by AIM, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Vendetta

Vendetta Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Harness = best $100 I've spent in hunting. I know if I fall asleep I'm safe. I know if the stand fails (because they do), I'm safe. The only fear I have is the tree falling over.... and well... I feel pretty safe in my harness. I am strapped in before I leave the ground, and stay strapped in until I'm back on the ground.

2. ohiobowhunter35

ohiobowhunter35 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I would have to agree no matter what kind of stand you have u should were a harness. I to use the 20 feet up harness with the quick climb and it is great. I would say this is the best harness for climbers so you dont have to keep moving strap up tree.

3. d16efhatch

d16efhatch Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    x2......i couldn't imagine not being able to see my family just because i "felt safe" without a harness.better to be safe than sorry.

4. RackHunter

RackHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It would probably be in your best interest if you wore it. Theres so many things that can go wrong. I wear a harness even if im hunting in a stand that is 8ft off the ground. You never know....

5. OHbowhntr

OHbowhntr Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've tried a couple, don't like them, feel restricted, and opt out of them. I hunt out of climbers mostly, occasional fixed position stand. I know everyone SAYS they wear them, but I highly doubt that all of you who are saying you wear them, wear on EVERYTIME out.... There was never any such thing as a harness that I knew of when I started bowhunting, and people get hurt doing everything from going to the bathroom to sky-diving. The bottom of my stands WON'T slip away, because it's tied off to the top of my stand like it should be.... IF that happened to someone, it's their OWN fault for not having it set up right in the first place... No offense to any of you who've fallen out of a stand, but I just don't see how it happens except with knuckleheads who fall asleep in their stands, and if you need a nap, stay at home on the couch.... I STAND the entire time I hunt, and I don't sleep while standing, I've spent many thousands of hours in treestands, and am yet to have an accident, I'll continue to roll the dice. There are other riskier things that people do... I had a guy tell me that I shouldn't "stalk" with an arrow knocked, because "one time some guy fell on his arrow and died!!!!" Sorry, that's another insane risk I'll take, as it's just not that likely in the overall realm....

I'm all for safety, that's why I tie the top of my climber off to the bottom of my climber, and pick tress that are climber friendly as far as bark qualities, size, etc...

6. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah:( I don't wear one on my Ladder stands with railing but my concern is more the climbing up and down the ladder. Unless you're using a safety line the harness is useless until you get up and clip yourself in:(

I may make some safety lines for these stands. I hate it when you guys start making sense:)

7. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Agreed, We do put to much trust into old weathered straps that hold out stands up.

8. NY Bowhunter

NY Bowhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I must say I agree. Not bragging (or probably not even right), but 24 years without one and never had an accident. Frankly I dont really see how one would happen. Plus I hate the restriction with wearing one. I'm carefull going up and down and pay attention with every step. Never came close to falling asleep in a stand either.

Do people wear safety harnesses when using an extension ladder to hang Christmas lights?

9. Cablebob

Cablebob Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You you spend 4-8 hrs hanging Christmas lights? does your adrenaline pump while you hang Christmas lights? It's a bad example. However, Everyone has a right to wear one or not. Good luck to everyone and regardless of your choice be safe.

10. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Its real simple, wear a harness.

11. NY Bowhunter

NY Bowhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ever see Christmas Vacation? That's how I roll :rock: lol

12. ohiobowhunter35

ohiobowhunter35 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I tie my climber together also but 2 years ago i had my foot platform snap about 15' up (weld broke)thank god i had my harness on. I think that fall would of hurt. I not over the limit of stand nor did i leave stand out in weather. To each his own tho at least im going home to family and not the hospital.

13. JustDad1520

JustDad1520 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I bow hunt and ride motorcycles. I choose to wear a helmet even when in a state like SC where they give you the choice. We all have the choice to wear a harness or not. I choose to wear one no matter what kind of stand I'm in. For me the benefits far outweigh any negatives for either.

14. AIM

AIM Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My wife's adrenaline gets pumped when I hang Christmas lights. Does that count?:D

15. AIM

AIM Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'll admit that I am likely the poster child for what you should NOT do while hunting. I'm for sure not advocating unsafe practices. It all just seems a bit mild compared to what I do every day at work.
    Climbing extension ladders with arm loads of tools. Hanging out of man lifts 30+ feet up.
    Had to remove a bell from a church tower atop 6 sections of scaffold. (for the record. That scared the begeezes out of me)
    Again I am not saying that I am right or that anyone else should follow my lead. I was just curios if I was the only idiot out there.

16. ALL4HUNTIN

ALL4HUNTIN Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    When harnesses were bulky and uncomfortable.. I elected to NOT wear them in ladder stands.. Now the whole family does.. Even if it is a ladder, things can happen.

Now, we do lighten up a little.. I take a thick rope and tie loops at the end of both ends.. I climb to the top of the ladder and wrap it around the tree pulling one loop thru the other giving a safety loop at the top. Now you can climb the ladder, and hook right up.. Safety harnesses are so light now, no reason not to wear one.. Most ladders, I have safety lines ging up so you are secure from the ground up and back down..

17. awehrmann

awehrmann Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My family means too much to me to be lazy and not wear a damn harness. Be mindful and just wear one!

18. Parker70

Parker70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt with a paraplegic and know what he has to go through every day. I'll take my chances with the harness when I leave the ground. I don't want to spend the rest of my life needing someone to pick me up and down from bed. It's a hard life on the person and their family.

Just a few weeks ago a friends dad was hanging a stand and a weld broke sending him to the ground. Thankfully he's not paralyzed or dead, but he's unable to go to work now and he will have some big bills from the hospital after all the injuries he sustained.

19. RugerRedbone

RugerRedbone Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I build bridges for a living and am in a harness all day everyday, but have never worn one hunting. I hunt out of climbers without a rail and typically climb over 20'. I've never felt it was necessary until this year. I haven't bought one yet and considered using an old one from work but it has too much metal to clang around. I'm headed to Ohio the first of Nov. And its the first item on my "need to buy" list. I understand not wearing one I just feel I've pushed my luck far enough.

20. Lastoneout

Lastoneout Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't wear a harness. 90% of my hunting is done from my climber. When I put up hang ons I plan to use one. Not that it makes a difference.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2