Advice on looking for land to seek permission to hunt, and the best way to ask?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by brianaleksivich, Oct 9, 2012.

1. brianaleksivich

brianaleksivich Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Title says it all. I am starting to look for land to hunt (rest of this year and future). Where do I start? What to look for? How to ask? Any advice or a point in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Brian

2. SouthernMDArcher

SouthernMDArcher Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I usually do property searches if I see land that I would like to hunt. It usually tells you who the property owner is etc etc. As far as asking for permission, I generally just knock on the door, introduce myself and ask. Problem I have encountered is most say no because they have allowed others to hunt in the past and they took advantage of it, invited other folks to hunt, did not share the harvest etc etc.

A little advice, if you drive up to a farm right after deer gun season and the Farmers tractor has several fresh bullet holes in it, it is best to just turn around and leave)))) Speaking from experience, most land owners judge us by our peers (other hunters) and when they are plugging holes in his equipment, wellllllllllllllllllllll....................you get the point.

Dave

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  3. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My buddy runs ads in local news papers.

4. I Dream of Fall

I Dream of Fall Newb

Dislikes Received:
    If you know the person, come bearing gifts. If you don't know them, strike up a conversation and ease onto the subject. You'll get a lot of no's nowadays, but be nice and you may get a yes or two. Always treat their land like it is yours and after the season try and treat them to something that they may like i.e. soda, food, etc. Share the meat if they like it and always tell them how greatful you are to them letting you hunt there.

Last year I talked to a neighbor about shed hunting his property and looking for a buck that I didn't recover in the fall. (Yes, it was a giant, and I still have nightmares about him. :throw: ) We talked for a good 15 mins. before I brought it up. He said yeah go ahead and actually gave me giant side off of a deer we named Casper that his dog had brought up in his yard. A week later i brought him a couple twelve packs of pepsi because I heard he liked that.

Just be cool about it. If they say no say thanks and if they say yes make sure it's worth their while.

5. Lastoneout

Lastoneout Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I tell myself every year I am going to do more door to door, but I never do. I'll acquire land here an there from people I work with, friends, family members, people I meet at work etc. From there ill branch out to neighbors introduce my self tell them I hunt so an so property I see it as a line of credibility if they see you are a responsible hunter an have this relationship with a fellow neighbor I believe they are more inclined to grant you permission. Of course it also helps to have a general idea of that neighbor before you go knocking on that door.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

6. brianaleksivich

brianaleksivich Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Great advice guys. If you are doing door to door do you pick the spots by driving around or scout online first? This is such s great help.

7. bowsie15

bowsie15 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Offer to do work for them sweetens the deal!!!