Jumped a buck at my stand

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Hoythews71, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Hoythews71

Hoythews71 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wasn't able to hunt the first week if the season, and I was finally able to head out this afternoon. Get to the base of my tree and as I'm getting my outer layers on, a nice 130-140" buck bounces out of the thicket 40 yards away. Hes not hauling *** out, but hes not stopping to see whats going on either.

This spot has always had the look of a bedding area, but I have always seen it be used as a transition zone to stage before hitting the corn fields close to dark.

You think he is already over educated? I'm going to keep hunting this spot today and maybe tomorrow too, but do you think he's coming back to bed here again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. NebraskaDeerKilln

NebraskaDeerKilln Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My guess. Probably not till dark when he knows its safe.

3. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Another way to think of it is like this.....now that he knows it is a tactically safe bedding area, why would he leave? He picked you off, escaped danger, and wasn't threatened or trailed by you. He will be back.

4. bowsie15

bowsie15 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    When that happens to me I have my grunt handy and give a few quick ones I've actually had deer come rite back in. I've had them stop in their tracks just gives them some doubt in their head on what made that noise and not danger. And I think he will be back if you bump him again tomorrow got out of the area for a while.

5. Hoythews71

Hoythews71 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thinking the same things. Thanks guys.

Also, this is the second time I've jumped him here. I did a little walk with my 3 year old to check on this stand back in late August, and we jumped him then too. Probably try it again real early tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk