It's my fault...

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by j.cannon26, Oct 3, 2012.

1. j.cannon26

j.cannon26 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    My 8 year old is addicted to hunting, started him at age 5 with a 243 and he killed his first deer at 6. He killed 2 more a 5pt and doe at age 7. So he has turned 8 and I bought him a bear archery apprentice he can draw 40lbs and shoots 85gr muzzy's. He can hold a good group out to 20yds so I plan on trying to get his first bow kill this year. My son is a straight A student, But he wants to play other sports but won't cause he says he will miss to much time in the woods. Anybody else have this problem? I guess i'm not helping it any or his mom either cause she wants me to buy her a bow.....

2. rkloehn

rkloehn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Can you get him involved in off season sports? I think what you are doing is great, just need to balance both. Keep up the great parenting!!!

3. j.cannon26

j.cannon26 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    In the off season all he wants to do is fish, or after deer season small game hunt or phesant hunt.

4. Praetorian27

Praetorian27 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That's great...but be cautious putting all his eggs in one basket. People change as they grow, and if he decides he wants to try sports later on, he'll be way behind the 8 ball with the other kids. Trust me...it happened to me! Besides, a little time away from the woods can be a good thing...he'll be extra anxious for next season!

5. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You let your son shoot a 5 pt? But, you made fun of BigRedOak for having a "little immature buck" in his avatar and spouted off about QDM as being the only way to hunt. So, maybe there are times that its okay to shoot small bucks???? Interesting.....

School activities will do a lot more to improve interpersonal skills that he will need in the real world for the rest of his life. Our kids were strongly encouraged to participate in sports, etc. for that reason.

6. jemcmichael

jemcmichael Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Baseball would be a great sport for him to take up. It's pretty much completely opposite of the deer season. Plus, it's my favorite sport.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

7. Praetorian27

Praetorian27 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Totally agree!

8. Chiro_Archer

Chiro_Archer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Track n Field would be a good option also, it will just take a lil time n balance, but in my opinion you sound like you are doing a good job trying to help him out

9. j.cannon26

j.cannon26 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Yes I did let my son kill a 5pt because of the deer's broken leg no reason of letting a deer waste off to the coyotes. I said that QDM should be practiced by more hunters for a quality hunting enviroment for future generations to come. So what's your point fletch920? If you have any issues with post I have made in the past message me, this post isn't about you crying to me about something I said you don't like. Have a great day.

10. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That went as expected. I figured it was either lame or was a mature deer without potential. Ofcourse....

I will save the PM to explain to BigRedOak about QDM and why he should be ashamed of his deer.:evilgrin:

Good luck to your son with his interpersonal skills.

11. jlucas1991

jlucas1991 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    you have to give him the speech about how he can hunt his whole life, but he can only play competitive sports when he is younger... and he will regret not playing when he gets older and realizes what he missed out on.

He can still do both, but this might be a perfect opportunity to teach him how important time management is.

12. VAhunter

VAhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Baseball. Greatest sport. In the spring!

13. lansea56

lansea56 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I played competitive sports my as far back as I can remember. I would definitely encourage your son to pursue sports if there they have an interest. I played played basketball and soccer from age 6 through high school and then continued to play soccer through college. There was a lot of traveling for soccer throughout country the entire year. Needless to say, I didn't get the opportunity to begin bowhunting until I finished college a few years back. Some years that we advanced in the ncaa tourney I missed gun hunting in WI. as well. While it was difficult to not be in the woods, my time playing athletics truly has been extremely beneficial in where I am today. It opened a lot of doors, and allowed me to meet some great people.

Long story short, I still found times throughout the year to go hunting, fishing, and work at the land. While it was tough to miss some years in the woods, I now have the rest of my life to go hunting at my own will. The memories gained by missing some time here and there was definitely worth it.

14. midnighthunter

midnighthunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was the same way as a Kid. I did both. I did sports after school and during the week and hunted on weekends. If I had games on weekends I would hunt till game time and then left game back to the woods. I was gone from 4:30am till 9 PM every night. Loved every minute.

15. CaptainC

CaptainC Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I will trade ya straight up.

Be glad that he is an outdoorsman. Unless he is super great, organized sports will be of little value in the future. Rejoice, hunt and fish and take his mom too. Sounds like heaven to me.

16. nate

nate Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It would be best to be a well rounded person.

17. JDhom

JDhom Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Whats the problem take him his buddys and his momma and have a blast!
    Sounds to me like you got it pretty good!