Spine shots

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by LongIslandBowHunting, Sep 28, 2012.

1. jemcmichael

jemcmichael Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I accidentally spine shot a doe a couple years ago. I dropped her on the spot and she kicked and made a bawling sound that was absolutely horrible until I got another arrow in her. I will never ever purposely try to take a spine shot. To try to shoot a deer in the spine is sick.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

2. MattR

MattR Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with most here about even thinking of asking such a question. Personally I would rather try to throw a big rock at a deer to make a kill before taking a spine shot.

Long Island...Maybe you should just lasso the deer instead of trying a spine shot. Better odds at throwing the loop over the head than hitting the spine. Just remember to hang on tight to the rope if your lasso attempt is successful.

3. redz

redz Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I must have missed the part in hunter ed where they said go for a spine shot! Not! ;)

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2

4. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yes it is real tough to watch. I guess if a buck I was hunting hard or a monster buck came in and was right under me and if he passed me I wouldnt have another chance...I might take the straight down shot. Is it a situation I hope for...heck no. But I think I would have a hard time watching all my hard work walk by me. But no, never aim for the spine, never try for it, and never be proud of it. The goal is always double lung or heart...or both! I wont judge anyone for doing it...just dont know how you can watch that. Happened to me last year, and it was tough to see. she dropped at the shot and my arrow hit spine. Thankfully my second shot brought a quick finish. But, because she was quartering towards me, I also caught gut on the second shot. It was that or watch her suffer longer, so I feel I did right. But, it wasnt pretty, clean, quick enough, and def wasnt a proud moment.

5. bowsie15

bowsie15 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    All of these guys stories of hitting the spine by accident should be enough to convince everyone not to take the shot. If you are a sportsman which we all call ourselves, why would you even think of putting an animal through that. It makes me cringe to think of it.

6. JDhom

JDhom Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I consider myself a sniper i want to gut that animal and see my broadheads out line in its heart if its not a heart shot im very disapointed with myself. One shot one kill! If your ok with that shot man do what you do but its not an ethical shot.

7. Finch

Finch Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nope, I'll never take that shot intentionally. One of the bucks I killed last year was a spine shot. The moment he dropped in his tracks, you'd think I'd been overwhelmed with joy but watching that buck suffer for 5 minutes was friggin terrible. I still thought I had caught vitals so that's why I waited 5 minutes....which seemed like an eternity when the downed deer is 27 yards right in plain view. He kept laying there kicking and trying to get up. I climb down, put another arrow in him, and then proceeded to stab him with my knife in the heart to try and hurry up the process. It sucked. I would never intentionally put a deer or myself through that again.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  8. LongIslandBowHunting

LongIslandBowHunting Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    never said that, and if you want to talk ethics i really dont believe losing a deer and also letting the meat rot off ur buck to be ethical just sayin... :busted: so ethics are the least of my problems if i decide to shoot a deer with my bow then im gonna shoot it, wether a single lung spine or heart shot, so an ethical deer kill is just a bonus to a hunt.

9. nagyiii

nagyiii Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    WOW, did I actually just read that? You should have you hunting card revoked. You are far from ethical!

10. MattR

MattR Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Quit sniffing the buck urine!!!!!!

11. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    easy fellas...lets play nice. I think the boys are getting tired of locking threads...

12. Rampaige

Rampaige Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You're an idiot. I hope you get banned for trolling and even more so I hope you get winded every hunt this season for the deer's well being. You are the kind of hunter that plagues this sport.

In case you aren't aware, I aimed for the vitals of my deer and only caught one lung. I searched for that deer for a day and a half. I didn't give up even when the blood trail disappeared. I put on almost 4 miles searching under every laurel bush and waded knee deep in a swamp where I finally located him. I dragged that deer back to my truck, almost 700 yards, back through the swamp up ravines, and through the thicket all to try to salvage any meat I could. I could have just cut the rack off, not tagged him, and made it much easier on myself. I think there is little question in my ethics.

13. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Dont let em get in your head bud. You know the truth and the people that matters know the truth.

14. WiRutJunkie

WiRutJunkie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wow......I guess it takes all kinds, pretty sad :(

15. VAhunter

VAhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Exactely^^^

16. Carl77

Carl77 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldn't ever purposely make a spine shot, nor would I suggest it. The ethical way of hunting is to make the best shot you can, providing you are given the opportunity to make a clean shot which means you may just have to pass on a deer. Your goal as a hunter, is to make a clean quick kill. Not paralyze a deer so it has to sit and spin around on the ground for an hour, not have to follow up with another arrow, although sometimes neccesary. If I'm not provided a clean shot, I will not take it. I learned the hard way. Good luck to those of you who've already began hunting and to those poor souls who live in Illinois like me, chin up, Mondays only a couple days away!!

17. VAhunter

VAhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Long Island your comments are sick.

18. Cablebob

Cablebob Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    :DHey guys! what'd I miss?...:jaw: WTF! nevermind...:throw:

19. Oklahoma99

Oklahoma99 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Rampaige, deer will be lost, but at least it happened while trying to take an ethical shot. I respect you for working your *** off for that last buck you got, and so does everyone else. Don't let idiots like this get in your head. We know you learned from your experience, but when it comes to idiots like this, you can't fix stupid. Idk what would possess a person to even think about attempt shots like this nut is talking about. Obviously he hunts for nothing but the kill instead of respecting what God has blessed us with. By the way I'm going deer hunting this weekend with a pellet gun if anyone wants to join.

20. bowsie15

bowsie15 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Nicely said Oklahoma