How far do you take scent control???

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by dstever66, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Usually I use scent free laundry detergent, scent free soap, shampoo, scent-free deodorant, scent free lotion. I put my outer layer of hunting clothes in a scent tight tote and don't put it on until I get to my hunting spot.

But early season I get all sweaty walking in and using the climber so I'm not sure if it really does any good.

Late season, I get tired of feeling all dried up so I use regular shampoo, conditioner and real lotion.

2. ATbuckhunter

ATbuckhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I wash my clothing every hunt, wear scent away spray and play the wind if i can.

3. midnighthunter

midnighthunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Scent killer body wash & hair wash, scent free tooth paste (horrible taste). Wash cloths in scent blocker carbon wash. Dry in a carbon dryer bag. I will wear my base layer with plastic rain suite to the truck. (Will get dressed outside truck before stand.) Will spray down 2-3 times.

4. RugerRedbone

RugerRedbone Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Baking soda for clothes and hunt the wind. That is all.

5. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Scent-A-Way soap, shampoo, deodorant, field wipes, dryer sheets, field spray, and laundry detergent on all my hunting clothes. I also use a scent containing bag and change into and out of my clothes in the field. I also make sure to use only towels and washcloths that have been washed in scent free laundry detergent. I also only hunt the wind that is right for the location. This may sound crazy and a lot of work (which it is) but I think that it is worth it.

6. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    O yeah, forgot to add. I use the scent a way body soap/shampoo when season starts. I use it every day. Not just on days that I hunt, because the smell of regular soaps and shampoos can linger on you for days, even if you think they are gone.

7. redz

redz Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Scent killer laundry detergent if I get sweaty, then I leave em outside with my boots. Scent killer body wash and spray. Then I just use Tom's of Maine scent free deodorant.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2

8. KyleLewis

KyleLewis Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Scent control is always a hot topic here on the forums. It is essential but there are so many ways to do it effectively. I myself buy the detergent, bodywash/shampoo, deodarant and field spray. IMO I have a better chance of seeing deer because I leave less scent behind on my way to my stand and hopefully less around my stand. On the other hand I went hunting last year one day after work wearing my spare clothes I kept in my truck. Non-camo and more than likely smelt of scented detergent. I saw more deer that night than I ever saw in one sitting. Plus I was on the ground!! So I think hunting the wind correctly is more important but the more scent proof you are the more room for error. If you can afford it I would atleast use the detergent and the field spray.

9. Rampaige

Rampaige Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Anything that is going to come in the woods with me gets treated with either detergent, Scent-a-way soap, or wipes. I use scent free laundry detergent year round, also so there is no scent in my washer or dryer. I usually wash my clothes after every other hunt or so, unless I sweat a lot. Then I wash them right away. If I hunt a back to back morning/night I'll either wash them, hang them out to dry, or wear a new set depending on time and sweat.

I don't brush my teeth before I hunt. I eat apples. The acids in the apples supposedly kill the odor causing bacteria. Sometimes I'll swish with baking soda and water but it tastes awful. I've been debating getting some scent free moisturizer because the soaps dry out my skin and my skin gets oily which I'm sure is a huge source of human scent.

10. Lastoneout

Lastoneout Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This but ill use spray scent killer . When or if I sweat or all day hunts

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

11. tburgee

tburgee Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i can't afford all that junk... play the wind.

12. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    IF I shower before a hunt I use regular soap. I don't do anything special but hunt the wind the best I can. I also will wear rubber boots when It's still somewhat warm out. I try not to touch much of anything on the walk In and out from my stands.

13. CrabClawDude

CrabClawDude Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  14. NebraskaDeerKilln

NebraskaDeerKilln Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Small farm next to my hunting spot. I know the owner real well. I jump out and walk in the cow crap from a min. Same boots i wear every day at work in the country building powerline.

15. MattR

MattR Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    For footwear, I use my shoes that I wear on the atv when out mud running. They are full of grease and oil, also ripped in a few spots that my socks are showing through the sides. I wash my clothes in regular detergent and yeah they have the UV brighteners in it. I wear military surplus camo pants mainly because of the extra pockets for storing things in such as a flashlight and grunt call. For upper body, I wear a flannel shirt with majority of it blue in color, then some shades of grey and red in it. I do wear a camo baseball hat that probably should be washed. I use regular scented deodorant and wash my hair with regular shampoo. If I have any type of scent control system, that might include not eating pork and beans, cabbage, or anything the night before I head out hunting that might make me fart really loud when out in the woods. Yet that would be more in the "Noise control" category. I even bring my smokes out with me and have one while hunting. To those laughing, I mainly hunt from the ground and use natural surroundings to break my outline up. Behind my stand is a very rocky field with a huge rock wall/fence that a mountain goat would be proud to climb. Tonight I had just put out a cig and here comes 6 does all in the field I was set up by, all within 40 yards of where I was sitting..... On the ground. At one point I had one doe standing a mere 10 yards in front of me and did not even notice me there. I kept quiet since I did not want to harvest any one of these does tonight. There was a small buck in the neighbor's field and was hoping he would have wandered over by me. The does casually walked over to the field he was in and ate from the leftover corn that was just harvested. Not one single deer even noticed me there or even tried staring me down to get me to move.

Hunting the wind is the biggest factor. Would they have winded me if they walked downwind of me or the wind would have switched direction? Yeah more than likely.

I will admit I do use some scent control when peak rut nears since the dear are almost on all sides of me because I use my ladder stand at that time. I do not go all out like most do though, I like to keep my hunting budget to an affordable level for myself.

16. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I love it!

17. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This. Is good stuff. I use everything, because I can.

18. MattR

MattR Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Not sure if you all think I was joking. I wasn't joking. That is what I wore and the events that took place while out hunting. Was basically stating that if you set up according to the wind, scent control is not needed to see deer close up. Not saying scent control wont help you either because if the wind would have shifted, they would have ran like crazy.

When I was younger, back when Scent Lok suits were the hottest and newest item to have. I used to buy almost everything I could to be "scent free" and with all that equipment, I was not seeing any more deer than I am now. I have more money in my pocket now too. I hunt for meat, and learned to use the wind to my advantage most of the time. My freezer always sees fresh venison in it each year, so I must be doing something right.

19. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I start using scent free stuff a month before season. This season I switched to the Tinks Btech line and seems good but real test will start next week.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

20. peakrut

peakrut Facebook Admin

Dislikes Received:
    Same here and I even spray down the seats inside my car.