Scentblocker

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by RAH5216, Sep 25, 2012.

1. RAH5216

RAH5216 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I know there are varying theories about the effectiveness of this stuff, however for those who use it, i have a question.
    I have recently bought a new scent blocker suit that does not have a detachable carbon liner, it is built into the material.
    My question is, do you all use cover scents such as HS earth scents on your scenblocker clothes?
    At my camp, I ride a 4wheeler to get where I park and then I typically spray down liberally with HS earth spray and coon pee before I walk into the woods. Once settled in my stand I typically spray everything down again.
    Will using earth scent on my carbon suit, mess it up?

Thanks

2. LongIslandBowHunting

LongIslandBowHunting Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    too expensive, great quality, and intergration of the harness is cool, and i really like the knobs you twist to tighten it up, but still with all those great features its rediculous in price

3. montec

montec Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I read an article once that stated that air had to be forced through the carbon for it to work as designed so I couldn't answer that question.Possibly,if you were to use the earth scent on your Scentblocker suit,then ride your ATV,you would forcing the air through the carbon but it would be backwards. I would say the carbon would "load up" with earth scent. Personally,I would wash your Scentblocker in an approved detergent,then use only un-scented scent elimination sprays.

4. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    When using any carbon-based clothing you do not want to use any sort of cover scents, including both the Earth Scent and Coon Pee that you mentioned. You want to use standard scent killer spray to eliminate odors on the outside of the jacket.

Activated carbon works like a sponge to adsorb odors, both from inside as well as outside the garment. So anything you spray on the outside that contains scent is just filling up your carbon sooner than necessary.

If you truly want to take advantage of the suit you purchased, make sure to always store it in an air-tight container (I use plastic dry bags), only get dressed once you're in the field if you can, make sure you toss your suit in the dryer for about an hour after every 2-4 hunts, and wash it every 6-8 hunts.

5. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If you really want to use any liquid cover scents or wafer cover scents just us like tink bombs and hang them up somewhere. I don't have carbon activated scent controlled clothes but am slowly making that switch (price wise). I do use silver anti-microbial base layer though.

6. DropTine249

DropTine249 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I want to smell invisible when I enter my hunting properties. I hardly ever use cover scent, anymore. I try to keep it as far away from my odor eliminating carbon gear. The carbon is canceling out your human odor, if you use a total body system. If you've treated, washed, transported, handled and stored your gear correctly, never allowing it to contact anything that has not been washed and spray, and, without first washing and spraying your hands, it will have no odor on it.

So, if it has no odor on it, you've taken care of your breath, showered with scent eliminating soaps, used full body scent deodorant, you dont need cover scent.

Once in a while I will spray the bottom of my boots with cover scent, once in a while. I also run Ozone filters. I have the Scent Lok closet that is stored in a scent free shed I have on my property. I also have 2 giant Ozone filters that run in that shed at all times. I spray the entire shed down (walls, ceiling, floor and contents) with a few bottles of Primos XP (unscented) every once in a while, as well. Inside all of my clothing bins, closets and so on, I run small Ozone Filters. My gear has NO odor.

My vehicle is also sprayed down and cleaned with Primos XP, I run an Ozone filter inside of it. I wear regular clothes that have been scent washed and stored in a rubbermaid drawer system in my room. After I shower, I wear these clothes while driving to my property.

I dont get winded ! I dont need cover scent.

If you're wearing scent blocker, you dont need (or want) cover scent.

7. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Your set up sounds exactly like what I hope to some day have...the scent shed is precisely what I desire...cash and wife only thing holding me back haha! I used to use cover scents all the time, but more and more I've noticed better mature buck movement when I focus more effort on trying to make the smallest scent print possible (meaning no cover scents). I'll occasionally throw some apple spray on my boots if I'm making a risky walk across some trails but only like you once in a great while.

8. ArcheryAddict21

ArcheryAddict21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i read a study about cover scents before and how they were tested with dogs to if they could find you or not. Truth about them is is they put out an unnaturally pungent smell which allowed the dogs to find them much faster practically running to them. This is obviously going to put deer on alert, though you may not smell like a human, they are very aware of their surroundings and know when its not normal. So its best to just stay away from cover scents all together.

go with some scent killer with your carbon suit and youll do just fine. The most successful hunters are the ones that are undetectable. so dont create a smell, eliminate it!

9. DropTine249

DropTine249 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yea, it's a pleasure to have. I have 2 sheds on my house property; 1 stores the quad, food plot seed, corn, and other stuff. The other, is my hunting shed. I spray down everything that enters it and I did my best to seal it off. Keeping those Ozone filters running is a major part of my scent control.

Within my shed, as I stated above, I have a Scent-Lok fabric closet that I bought online(more so because its seal from outside odors. I do not recharge the carbon lining within it). I store all of my carbon packs, Scent-Lok and ScentBlocker gear inside this closet. I keep fresh baking soda inside, as well.

I also have a fabric closet that I bought from WalMart. It's not sealed, but, it zippers up pretty tightly. Given the fact that my shed is relatively scent free and that I run an Ozone filter inside this fabric closet, as well, I am confident that it aids in keeping any foreign odors that may enter my shed from contacting the gear. Again, fresh baking soda kept inside

I have a rubbermaid drawer system within this shed, as well. It has 3 drawers. I use this as a "staging" area for my gear. I will place gear that I wore, say on an afternoon hunt that I intend to wear again in the morning, on one shelf and place a small Ozone filter (I have 10 smaller Ozone filters and 3 Large ones, 2 of which are in this shed) in the drawer(s) I have the staged gear in. I let the Ozone filter kill whatever odor may have attached itself to my gear, until the next hunt. Also, baking soda on each shelf.

Now, I only do the above if the gear wasnt soiled with sweat, blood, or anything else.

I have large rubbermaid bins where I store my boots. Fresh baking soda in each and each pair of boots has their own Scent-Lok sacks(these little sacks that absorb all of the odor inside the boot). Now, I dont know if they actually absorb the odor, but, I sprinkle baking soda in each boot and spray the outer portion of the boots down. The sacks really just help to absorb moisture. I air my boots out outside on my fence. I spray them down really well and let them air dry. Then, I spray them a little again(very little) and do the baking soda and scen.t lok sacks, then, place them in the bins with an Ozone Filter

In my closet in my room, I have another rubbermaid drawer system. I also have a large Ozone filter running in this closet at all times and I have small Ozone filters for the drawers. I also keep fresh baking soda on each shelf. I have drawers for scent washed shower towels, base layer and thermal bottoms, base layer and thermal tops, socks and so on. I also have a drawer for regular, casual clothes(usually some shorts, t-shirts, sweat pants and sweat shirts). All have been scent washed and I wear these to my hunting property, and, get dressed once there. I also have cheap sneakers, sandals and cheap walmart boots that I have sprayed down like crazy and subject to Ozone filtering that are stored in a small rubbermaid container in my closet.

With this "system", I can wear my Scent-Lok base layers, thermals or whatever I may be wearing under my outer layer, that particular day, from my bedroom because I have the barrier of scent washed casual clothing over-top that I will wear while I drive to my property. This allows me not to have to strip down nude when getting dressed on the farms in the dead of winter.

Everything I wear will either be washed or subjected to Ozone filtering after the hunt has completed and I am home, depending on the soil level. I have a separate drawer system in my room closet just for this task.

I always shower with scent free soap (not hunting specific products, though). I go to walmart and buy fragrance, perfume and odor free body soap. I mix in a little Primos XP and this is what I shower with. I use Arm & Hammer unscented deodorant(its under $2 a stick, sometimes cheaper on sale when they have deals, compared to $5.99 or something for dead down winds under arm deodorant). I also use a body lotion deodorant on the rest of my body from Scent Shield. I have a little sealed pack that I store all of my hunting hygiene stuff in thats kept in my bathroom. I keep a lufa(however you spell that, tooth brush and my soaps/lotions in it). I brush my teeth with baking soda.

My car, prior to the season, is cleaned with scent eliminating products and I constantly run Ozone Filters inside. I spray it down every day, just a little bit.

Now, I have done virtually NON of this, this season because it's a freaking JOB and I really dont have time to hunt this year because of my work, studies and our family firm obligations. However, when I'm full-swing into hunting, this routine of mine keeps me confident. I know that I can go anywhere, on any wind and not get winded. I've shot some of my best bucks while they were standing DEAD down wind. I also had a beautiful 130class 5.5yo 8 point at 6 yards, DOWN WIND, while hunting a ground blind last summer. He was not a target buck of mine, so, I chose to pass him, but, he hung out for a long while, never getting nervous until I decided to snap a photo with my phone as it was getting darker and forgot that my flash was on.

My brother and my friend did a lot of work on my properties, prep, food plots, etc, etc and I told them I would pass this buck for them (they both really liked him and I was on a few much bigger deer). It was amazing to see a mature animal not wind me while being THAT close.

I owe a lot to Scent-Lok and ScentBlocker, but, any gear will work with the way that I treat it.