Wrist release vs.thumb release

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by bowsie15, Sep 22, 2012.

1. bowsie15

bowsie15 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    How hard is the transition from a wrist release to a thumb release. I have a Scott wrist release now and was thinking of switching to a thumb. I just like the idea of the release staying on the bow while in stand rather than being secured to my wrist. I seem to accidentally hit it on the stand every time.

2. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Wasn't hard for me at all. I was also shooting better instantly :tu:

3. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I made the transition a couple years ago. It took me about 20 shots till I was comfortable with it. I'm sure it takes different amounts of time for different people, but at least for me, it was a very quick and easy switch. I would definitely recommend a thumb release. I was in the same boat as you, liking the idea of one, so I gave it a shot and never looked back.

4. OKhunter

OKhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just made the transition from a trufire wrist release to a trufire thumb release and I love it. You can hold your wrist in a much more comfortable position. I feel that there is a huge difference in accuracy with the thumb release especially at 30 plus yards.

5. WiRutJunkie

WiRutJunkie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Easy for me too. I switched because I had an issue punching the trigger occasionally. Since I switched two years ago problem solved. I use a Carter Chocolate Light and love it.

6. OK/Sooner

OK/Sooner Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I bought the edge 4 finger. Took maybe 10 shots to get use to it. Def glad I switched!

7. rknierim

rknierim Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I switched to a thumb release this summer and couldn't be happier. It was well worth the money. Check on ebay, I got a good deal on there.

8. DropTine249

DropTine249 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I switched from a wrist release to a back-tension release a few years back. It wasnt all that difficult. Slight adjustments needed to be made to the bow and that was it. I picked up on back-tension and the associated release execution, immediately (had good coaches).

I still shoot a wrist release when I practice, from time to time because I always have one in my pack as a back up, but, I choose to hunt and shoot with a back-tension release as the consistency, confidence and control is much better, for me.

After only a few days of shooting a back-tension release, I was confident and comfortable enough to hunt with it. I did, however, end up not killing a giant buck (same buck, 2 separate times !!) because of it. At the time, I was shooting a Stan Shoot-Off (thumb style back-tension). I was in a ground blind and had a beautiful, heavy and mature buck come into the plot. As I went to draw on him, I must have clinched my hand around the release causing it to fire. I was not even at half draw, yet. The deer bounded off.

A few days later, different field, same buck. He comes out into the field and offers me a 60yard shot. Again, probably being focused on the distance and buck, I accidentally triggered the release during the draw and sent the arrow into the stratosphere.

I no longer make this mistake, but, it is something you must consider. If I had been using a wrist strap, that deer would have been dead on the first hunt.

9. ajax

ajax Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    How does the thumb release improve your accuracy? More consistant anchor?

10. redz

redz Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    X2. I liked it better right away, plus I think it really helped improve my anchor.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2

11. redz

redz Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Forgot to mention that it made drawing easier as well :)

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2

12. bowsie15

bowsie15 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good to know drop tine that's the stuff I was worried about getting used to it. But from you guys are saying I'm definitely going to get one and try it out any suggestions on what to by????

13. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm old school, I still use finger tabs.

14. McDAccountant

McDAccountant Newb

Dislikes Received:
    That was my experience as well. Also allowed me to increase draw weight several pounds...not sure if that is the case with anyone else though.