Farthest distance you can use one sight pin?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by KDORSETT12, Sep 22, 2012.

1. KDORSETT12

KDORSETT12 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just curious about how flat can you guys get your arrows to shoot? Whats the farthest distance your arrow travels before it starts to drop? I know arrow weight and all those factors will affect it.

Personally I get about 20 yards.

2. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It starts to drop right away. Use your 20 yd pin @ 2 yds. It'll shoot low. Sure guys can use one pin, out to 30 even, but they're not shooting flat.

3. KDORSETT12

KDORSETT12 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Doesn't the arrow go up upon release, coming in line with your sight, stay flat for a little bit then start to drop the farther it goes? I'm new to archery so I don't really know

4. Stikman

Stikman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Shoot your one pin at all yardages and see just how much your arrow drops. I shoot one pin to 20 yards. I shoot a Mathews Z7xtreme with a 418 grain arrow, with my draw weight of 66 pounds and my draw length of 28.5", I'm shooting real close to 280-282 feet per second. The faster your bow, the less drop you'll face provided you shoot a reasonable weight arrow.

5. LongIslandBowHunting

LongIslandBowHunting Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i can use my first pin out to 25 with no arrow drop.

6. AIM

AIM Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I can get 20 out of my bow. at 25 I'm about 1-2 inches low.
    And if you want to play around. Go back to 60-70 yards and shoot your 20 pin. You can dig your field tip out of the wood frame of the target like I had to.:lol:

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  7. jmbuckhunter

jmbuckhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Gravity starts working on your arrow as soon as it leaves the string. So no it doesn't go up. It may seem like it goes up because you have your 20 yard pin set to hit dead on. So your arrow goes above your line of sight and then drops back in to hit dead on at 20 yards. But I promise you it's only going up because you have your bow pointed up slightly. Your arrow cannot defeat gravity.

8. Cablebob

Cablebob Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm very comfortable shooting from 10 to 35 yrds with mine one pin sight. I have it in at 20yrds. just hold a little high at 35. But my shots are rarely over 25yrds.

9. Treestandsniper

Treestandsniper Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Parallax

Yes, arrow will always drop, the main cause of a low hit at very close range is the paralex effect caused from the arrow sitting lower than the the sight. Look at it this way; if the arrow is dropping, shouldn't a 20 yard arrow sit lower than a two yard arrow.

10. AIM

AIM Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    To throw something out there that I kinda have a hard time wrapping my head around. If you hold a bow 4' high, a rifle 4' high and a rock 4' high. Gun and bow are dead level pointed across a dead level surface. Shoot the gun, bow and drop the rock at exactly the same instant. All 3 projectiles will hit the ground at the exact same time. Regardless of different weights.

Flat trajectory is all about the distance an object travels over a given period of time.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012