Base layer for the cool mornings?

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by grizzwald22, Sep 20, 2012.

1. grizzwald22

grizzwald22 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I layer for warmth, I don't like bulk, so I am looking for base layers to invest in for warmth.

What are some good brands for a base layer that provides warmth, but does not add bulk or limit movement. Does Under Armour ColdGear keep you warm while sitting still in the stand? Is it worth the money or is better to go with something from like Patagonia or NorthFace, or a generic brand. What do you guys use for base layers and what is your experience on staying warm on those cool fall mornings?

2. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't like UA cold gear. It doesn't seem to keep me that warm unless I'm moving.

I'm a big believer in a wool base layer with cheap fleeces as an alternative.

On real cold mornings, I'll wear wool shirt, 2 thin fleeces and my normal light hunting jacket worn all season. Works well for me

3. infantryoif

infantryoif Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I don't like under armor layers, either. I tried their compression stuff during my deployment to Iraq and I didn't like it. I actually felt colder with it on. I haven't tried other compression-style base layers since but I'm assuming I'd have similar problems. That being said, other soldiers enjoyed wearing them.

I personally wear fleece or cotton waffle-type under layers. None of them are particularly designed for hunting but that's because I don't wear them as an outer layer. They are muted colors, though.

I always wear a camo shell that offers wind protection and just layer up/down what's underneath. The Russell Outdoors APX series has been great for me.

4. bowsie15

bowsie15 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Last year I tried the cabelas polar fleece. This is legit best stuff I have worn so far. I read the reviews on it and there wasn't one bad review. It's a little pricey at about $40-50 per item but well worth it in my opinion. On a 30 degree day I wore the polartec and just my light weight camo and I couldn't belief I was not cold. On a really cold day one more layer might suffice !!!!

5. grizzwald22

grizzwald22 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the tips, this morning I tried my UA cold weather gear I used to play ultimate frisbee in the northeast, and it is not very effective while sitting still. I am definitely going to look into fleece or wool base layers, I will check out the cabelas polar fleece next time I am in the store. I am also gonna invest in some good warm wool socks, cause once my toes get cold, it is like the rest of my body is cold.

6. iahunter11

iahunter11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i use and love the scent blocker mid weight wool... tek4 base mid weight wool by scent blocker and then outter is timberfleece 360.... where it all in nov and dec and some in jan in iowa..

7. dcbowhunter

dcbowhunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    A wool base layer is way to go. Merino wool is warm and also helps with scent control. Cabelas makes one as does scent blocker and Sitka.

8. Indiana Hunter

Indiana Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The cabelas brand polar tec series is a great line. It is usually priced cheaper too and at the end of the season you can get it dirt cheap. I have 2 uppers and 2 lowers of the artic line.

They do a great job. I wear this, paired with a flanal upper and then top it off with my full season scent lok jacket. With these three items I can hunt into the high 20's and be warm. With the same temps on the bottom I usually just where the polar tec bottoms then covered with my full season scent lok pants. Stocking hat, good wool socks, 1500 gram thinsulate boots, and a nice hand muff and your good to go!

One thing I have learned with base layers over the last couple years is to wear them looser, rather than skin tight. Once I started buying them on the bigger side I stayed much warmer. The extra space creates warmer air and lets it cirrculate a little.

9. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    x2 on the scent blocker tek 4 series. Good stuff, and I got it 30% off at Gander just before gun season last year. Warm, quiet, dry, and no issues getting winded (I probably go overboard on the scent control gear but every bit helps.)

Also, my new secret weapon for foot warmth is those $9.99 gray 80% wool redhead socks they sell @ bass pro with the "Last hunting socks you'll ever need" slogan. I don't know about that, but they're good enough that I bought 2 more pairs this year. Used them for first time last season, and it was the warmest my feet ever been without sweating.