Shooting a deer at dusk ........

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Tony, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Indiana Hunter

Indiana Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I just do a simple test. Draw my bow back and if I can't see my pin clearly or whats in my sight housing I am done hunting or yet to begin. My eyes aren't the best anyways, usually this occurs about 20 minutes after sunset if I'm in the woods and not on a field edge.

Lighted nocks help a ton too, I've shot a few deer right before this time period and havnig a lighted nock was awesome!

2. MattDota

MattDota Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    this happened to me last saturday. right before dark a doe came in. i could still see my pin and through my peep. i could see where i was aiming and took the shot. i didnt find too much blood so we went back in the morning and she was less that 60 yards from the tree. if you dont feel good about taking the shot dont. you owe it to the animal to make a clean quick kill.

3. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt afternoons, but no where near as much as the morning. I just like morning hunts better. I think I've only killed 1 deer in the afternoon come to think of it and it was early in the afternoon. If the opportunity comes, I'd have to agree with everyone else in that I would have to be able to easily see my pins, the vitals, and see where the arrow hits.

4. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    How do they help? I know they look cool and maybe help with knowing where you hit but how do they help with aiming?:confused:

5. wags1

wags1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I like hunting brush, so its not so much as can i see the pins as it is can i see the small twigs around me? i have came out many times where i could see my pins just fine, but not the small branches, twigs etc.

6. jjnowak

jjnowak Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If I can see my pins and my target I will shoot. I don't really worry about seeing where the arrow hits. That always gets me in trouble as I tend to focus on watching my arrow versus concentrating on my sight picture.

7. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Never have I not saw my arrow In flight.

Use lanterns. Flashlights are nothing compared to that of a lantern. Not even close.

8. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    Same here for me exactly!

9. Muzzy Man

Dislikes Received:
    I start seeing my arrow on shots beyond around 25 yards or so... in bright sunlight... which is getting beyond what I will shoot anymore. Getting old stinks but I guess it beats the alternative...

10. scarps23

scarps23 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have no hesitation about shooting a deer towards dark as long as I can see the deer well and my peep/sight. As said before, I usually try to listen more than watch. I've always had an idea of what direction the deer went though from sight. If you can't see well enough to know which way your deer runs then you shouldn't have shot.

11. kthomas21

kthomas21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    "Use lanterns. Flashlights are nothing compared to that of a lantern. Not even close."

Really? I never thought about it. Any particular type of lantern? I was glad to start using the brighter LED lights rather than the trusty old mag lights. However mag lights make a great weapon if need be!

12. 00BigMattyC00

00BigMattyC00 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Illuminated sight and nock will give ya some time. If I cant focus on a tree at say, 40yds, I wont shoot and Ill pack it up.

13. LongIslandBowHunting

LongIslandBowHunting Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i wouldnt shoot a big buck at dusk just in fear of losing it, making a bad shot, and not being able to track at night. still i would rather not shoot any deer in low light because im scared of homeless people that wander around my parts, so for me a low light shot is a no no

14. janesburg

janesburg Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Dawn? Dusk? What some people think is dusk or dawn is subjective. IMO you can't use that. I go by legal hunting hours not what I might think is 1/2 hour before dawn or after dusk.

WI regs show to the minute legal shooting hours for each day. I've found its actually pretty close with its times being able to see to take a possible shot while sitting in the woods.

Of course in early season with the leaves still up I sit to legal closing time and then get out and walk to an open field and can still see good in the field.

15. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Agreed on the dawn dusk thing .... NY only allows dawn and dusk, so it is still light before its legal

16. Muzzy Man

Dislikes Received:
    Zombies???

17. LongIslandBowHunting

LongIslandBowHunting Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    hahahaha no but zombies would be scary too, where i hunt on long island there is alot of gangs, druggies, and homeless people, and on some of the properties there are temporary homeless people houses made from tarps and stuff, thats my biggest fear because i once got a homeless guy on my trail cam sooooo scary, i dont hunt that property anymore the guy looked like a warewolf/ zombie/ heroine addict!

18. L.I. BOW

L.I. BOW Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If I can't see my pins and the deer clearly I won't shoot. Especially if its last light and there's rain in the forecast. It doesnt have anything to do with being able to see where the deer runs off to. It's just not right to put an arrow in an animal if you can't make a clean shot. Learned that the hard way.

19. Indiana Hunter

Indiana Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Had this happen last night. Two does came in at last light, right at my furthest yardage I would typically shoot. They were up wind of me in a wide open bean field and had no idea I was there. Long story short, they got the pass. Just not worth it in my eyes.

Keep in mind I have to shoot a doe first to be able to shoot a buck. The urge is definately there, but you just have to wise up in situations like that. I respect the deers life to much to take a marginal shot like that. Trust me though, I want to put a doe down really bad! I feel like a better hunter though because of my decision. I slept easy last night by not having a wounded deer in the woods.

20. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Here's a couple links. This Is the one I have- http://www.coleman.com/product/delu.../2000004176?contextCategory=1010#.UFygGVGD83w

This might be my next one as I think It's one of the brightest ones out there- http://www.coleman.com/product/nort.../2000004422?contextCategory=1010#.UFyhKFGD83w

Beams are nice to have with too as you can look ahead much farther when tracking. We always usually carry a big beam with too.