Team 15 Official Thread

Discussion in '2012 Deer Contest' started by SouthDakotaHunter, Aug 25, 2012.

1. nhbowhunt

nhbowhunt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    way to go dl nice doe this weekend i spent 15 hours in a tree stand and saw not one deer and found out a farm i have been hunting for 32 years the farmer this year let 7 other guys in and one put a stand 75 yards from mine so we have been doing some scouting i am going to pull my stand from the farm and move it this week to 100 acres of posted land we can hunt

2. Junior

Junior Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Nice doe DL! Opening weekend for me was not a total disappointment. Saturday morning walking into the stand, I think I bumped half of the countys deer population...although one unseen 'deer' made the little hairs on the back of neck raise up...it was paralleling me as I walked in...made me a little nervous as I recently saw a wolf not too far from my hunting site! Saw a small fork or 6 pt buck about, or at least parts of him Saturday. Sunday morning proved a little different as I had just settled into the stand, and could hear a deer approaching. Darn thing stood directly under my stand and circled around me for about 20 minutes scavaging acorns. Too little light to see if this was my nice 8 pt buck or not. Don't believe it was though...(makes me feel better to say that even if may not be true!) The season is young, this week is suppose to be cooler and scattered rain showers in WI. SHould be great for some movement...now if work would just understand how important this hunting thing is!

Safe journey, shoot straight, and until next time, happy hunting!
    Junior

3. DoubleLung

DoubleLung Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Tough break Pal... Sorry to hear that (on both accounts)!

On the bright side it's always fun scouting a new piece of property!

4. NC_Bowhunter

NC_Bowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That sucks man....Gotta hate that but maybe this other piece will be the ticket...Good luck hunting the new place!!

5. NC_Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Gotta hate that moment when you have no idea what is walking right under you....Could be a world class buck for all you know....That is when I need a light switch lol.....

That is too funny about work and the importance of hunting....I cannot get it thru my bosses head either lol....

Cough Cough I think I a getting a fever boss........lol

6. nhbowhunt

Dislikes Received:
    thanks guys i am sitting in a new stand tomorrow we have a storm pushing through tonight so hope they will move after the storm

7. DoubleLung

Dislikes Received:
    Well.... I'm switching gear's this week fella's, I'll be in the U.P. of Michigan chasing black bear. This will be the first time in a tree with black bear on the menu so should be interesting.

My best opportunity is on a small 1/4 acre food plot I put in this spring, who knew bear loved clover so much!?

I'll let you all know how that experience goes and hopefully I'll have some pictures and footage to show off!

8. DoubleLung

Dislikes Received:
    How many of you have planted your own food plot before and what did you plant? I'd love to hear what you thought of the experience and if it produced any results...

This year I planted 'Frigid Forage' Clover and some rape. My food plot fortunitley took off this year after a very dissapointing 2011 attempt. Unlike the rest of the country, up here in Northern Michigan we have had ideal growing conditions since early spring.
    plot2.jpg plot1.jpg

9. WIHoytHunter

WIHoytHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Last year I just planted some Thro and Grow and it actually turned out very nice. This year was a different story. I didn't have time to do anything with the baby but I did get out a few weeks ago to plant a few rows of turnips I got from the local Co-op. I have big plans for next year. I want to make a bigger plot w/ Frigid Forage Big n' Beasty and plant a Plot Screen on the side I walk into my stand. Hopefully it get done. You're plot looks nice.

10. GmBlows9

GmBlows9 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Last year we planted Turnips but where we planted them was hard to get to in the summer so when it came time to spray them we couldnt get back to them an the bugs killed them I have hunted over turnips before an mid to late season it is great the deer love them.

11. Junior

Dislikes Received:
    I planted corn one year...squirrels, turkeys, and deer loved it, but hard to see anything from the hang on stand. Was easier to see from the platform box blind...over all did alright. Last year planted a mix of turnips, rape and soybeans. I have never seen so many deer and deer tracks in one place! It brought in the deer and turkeys, but it also brought in the predators which follow the deer and turkeys...The yotes ended up getting some of the young 'uns, so population there seems to be down a little bit this year. Giving that area a break. We did plant some type of throw and grow this year which appears to be a mix of clover, rape, and grass. It looks very lush right now. I think the deer are still checking it out as there is not a whole lot of activity in that area yet, but I'm certain they will come...

12. DoubleLung

Dislikes Received:
    Junior, sounds like your a pro at this! :) My goal is to some year have a soybean field with corn, I hear that it's hard to establish soybeans with less than 4 acres because they just get destroyed by the deer and other critters. How many acres did you plant your corn and beans in?

Good Luck with the throw and grow... I'm sure it will get hit hard in the fall!

13. DucksUnlimitedHunter27

DucksUnlimitedHunter27 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Looking good guys! Looks like it'll be a good season! Just a few more weeks and I'll have 3 or 4 days to chase the deer around. More excited then you know.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

14. Junior

Dislikes Received:
    Far from anything near expert! LOL I did about 3 acres with the soybean mix...although the beans were hard to keep the deer out of, they still kept coming back, and that was certainly the important part! I've heard of other people planting their soybeans and placing an electric fence around them until the beans get going & its time to unveil the beans to the woodland critters.
    Happy hunting!

15. Junior

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck! The anticipation of hunting always makes me feel like a kid the night before Christmas!

16. DoubleLung

Dislikes Received:
    Who's in the woods this weekend?
    ...Good Luck Hunters!

17. nhbowhunt

Dislikes Received:
    dl good luck to you i will be hunting this weekend 2 new spots

18. WIHoytHunter

WIHoytHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I finally get to hunt this weekend!!! Goose and deer, what a weekend.

19. nhbowhunt

Dislikes Received:
    wi my son has been doing well on goose hunting i mite go out sun morning for them our duck season starts on oct 2 can not wait ducks in the morning deer in the afternoon good luck this weekend

20. NC_Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That is the best thing to do for your small plots. You can buy and Gallagher or Non Typical Solutions fence package to protect these small plots say an acre or less. A guy here in NC did this last year and killed 4 trophy bucks here in NC!! You just don't lay down 4 mature in one year here in NC. It is so hard with all the big woods we have to put the together a pattern and hold trophy bucks. He kills good bucks every year. He will take a one acre bean field and fence it off. Then a week or two before the season he will open a section of fence and place a feeder with corn in the middle of it. Where He puts the feeder and opens the fence of course is withing bow range.....

BTW Double Lung your plots looks great!!