Are there people who are a certain breed or class of hunter?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by jeffgothro, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Don't Poke the Bear

Don't Poke the Bear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I remember one time when I was growing up (I was about 16), before i started deer hunting, I was at my uncle's house in PA shooting a .22 out in the back yard at a few targets I had set up. I noticed a chipmunk stick his head up at the top of a wood pile about 20 yards away. I took aim and popped the thing. when i went to go look at my dead target i realized i didnt kill him, i grazed his head. He flailed and thrashed and fought for a breath of fresh air. I'll never forget that day, because it was the exact moment i was able to differentiate the value of a living creature from just another animal. I held the chipmunk in my hand until he died. I swore from that day on I would NEVER shoot another living thing unless I was going to eat it, or give the meat to someone that needed it. To answer your question, I will take any animal that i know for sure will be eaten. I enjoy shooting animals with my camera as much as my bow

2. Oldcarp

Oldcarp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ok,

Out west we shoot coyotes. They decimate a fawn and calf crop. Yes we sell the pelts and we have a bounty on them out here. I have never shot a lion but my son pursues them and I have went out with him and it kicks your butt. We need to keep the cats in check or our elk and deer get hammered. I have to be honest one day I will have a bear rug. I think seeing predators is cool and lets you know you are not the only hunter out there.

3. jeffgothro

jeffgothro Newb

Dislikes Received:

Not saying he is a bad guy, I dont mean anyone disrespect, just sayin I dont agree is all. A few here think I'm even trolling, I honestly dont have enough information about bows or hunting in general to troll.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  4. Krohboy

Krohboy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I find it as a challenge to hunt predators and that's what drives me to hunt them. With that said I have never killed a fox, and won't unless the situation is perfect for a full body mount. They are one of my favorite animals.

Sent from iPhone

5. brucelanthier

brucelanthier Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I kill fox, crows and, now, raccoons. I have no plans to eat any of them at this time although some I may feed to my dogs. Or chickens LOL :).

6. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Wait..... chickens eat meat??? :D

For the OP to say it is disgusting to legally kill predators .... pretty much sums up what he is trying to do with this thread ... I agree with Trevor .....

7. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Predator hunting is some of the most fun hunting I've done.

A mountain lion is tops on my list of my "next big hunt"

I also hunt bear, and would love to shoot a wolf or 10.

8. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If a coyote walked by my stand, I wouldn't hesitate to shoot it. Thats really the only predators we got here.

With all due respect, I think this thread is a waste of time.

Hunters are hunters. There are no different classes and the people that don't agree with hunting will throw everyone in same category anyway.

To say you don't like someone because they predator hunt is completely ridiculous. If you seen what predators do then maybe you would change your mind. Maybe check out some videos? In some states, predators are really hurting the whitetail, elk, moose and any other big game animals we love to hunt. We hunt not only to get meat or for the thrill but to control populations.

9. Cablebob

Cablebob Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    See but this is what makes this a troll thread. Coming on here with self-proclaimed Limited knowledge of hunting and stirring a pot to get a reaction. What did you hope to gain from this thread? that there are more people like you? Well you don't need an internet forum to figure out that if you talk to enough people you'll find one that agrees with you. I don't get the point of this thread.

10. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not a predator hunter, but I did stay at a Holiday inn last night!

11. brucelanthier

brucelanthier Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a plan for all animals I kill. For some of those animals the plan is to kill them because they need to be killed.

12. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think carnivorous animals decide which kind of animal they will kill so I don't either. As long as people are abiding by the law, I can guarantee you that animals kill more animals than hunters.

13. AZChokester

AZChokester Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have killed just about everything you listed. I dont have any moral dilema with it. Bear meat is one of my favorites. Only one lion and that was 30 years ago. Lots of coyotes, a few foxes and bobcats, most of which I sold the pelts for money. I have a funny Bobcat story from years ago.

14. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I kill whatever i feel like killing (legally).

That is all. It can change at anytime.

For example, i dont ever kill toads or frogs.

15. Lastoneout

Lastoneout Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's so good to hear I cannot understand why anyone would want to hunt reptiles. I mean they are just so beautiful. :p

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

16. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    Amphibians are pretty cool. But frog gigging is quite common. I just don't like flies and mosquitoes.

17. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    IE Woodchucks. And Coyotes. 2 things ill shoot and not partake on the dinner table.

18. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My friends and I went out on Saturday and shot over 500lbs of common carp. We didn't eat a single one... but we did bury them all in the garden so they'll be eaten by people in a very round about way. (My friend Ken did take his gar home to eat.)

:D

19. Gyle

Gyle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    As long as you have just cause to kill an animal and do so ethically I don't see a problem. But if you do kill something like a coyote give the animal respect. Don't just fling a reckless arrow at it because it kills deer. Make sure its a good shot to take. All animals good or bad in my eyes deserve respect.

20. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would welcome the extinction of coyotes.... Did I say that? :whip:

Maybe if the DNR would have let us kill them when they first showed up instead of protecting them... we wouldn't have more coyotes than we do deer and Turkeys now.