Worth the $??

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by Jake/OH, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Jake/OH

Jake/OH Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So I have two clover plots that because of this terrible drought that we have had are almost completely dormant, only a few plants are green. This past weekend thanks to hurricane Isaac we got about 1.75" of rain and this seemed to green up a lot of stuff and the plots seem slightly better. I had previously decided to throw in the towel on these plots for the year because the clover seemed done for but now I was wondering if it would be worth my money to buy some fertilizer and spread it on there to see if they could be worth hunting over this fall. Good idea?? Or is it too late and I'm just wasting my money?

2. gutone4me

gutone4me Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would do it for sure. Right before the next rain !

3. jake_

jake_ Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    spread some 0-0-60 if you can get it. Can you get in there to mow it? I take my zero turn mower set all the way up in my clover plot. But basically mowing it you are knocking back the taller weeds before they go to seed and giving the clover a better chance to grow/out compete the weeds.

Frost seed it(feb/march when the ground is thawing/freezing) next year and hit it with a grass killer herbicide if you have a grass issue.

I am coming from the same situation as you. My clover looked burnt up. I broadcasted some brassicas into it and they are doing ok. Got some nice rains and man the clover really bounced back. I mowed it just to knock back the weeds and the deer are back browsing in it again.

Good luck.

4. rybec2

rybec2 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    YES........The clover will come back like gang busters when it getts a little rain and some cooler temps. how old is the clover plot? and has it ever been fertilized ? If you have never fertilized that 100% i would do it.My clover was brown almost all summer and we got that same rain with a few other smaller rain storms and my plot is bright green !!!!!!

5. ILLbowhunter

ILLbowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Fertilize it and watch it blow up again. Gotta love clover!