Target Shooting Problems

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by SwhackAttack, Sep 15, 2012.

1. SwhackAttack

SwhackAttack Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Im having a problem. Its like when i go to shoot i jump the trigger and jerk. Any advice?

2. striker

striker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A few things to try, you can draw your bow, aim and have a friend squeeze the trigger you just let him know when your on target but he doesnt say when hes pulling the trigger, stay focused on the target and keep your bow arm raised after the shot. Another method that I prefer is to stand very close to a large target, close your eyes and go through the shot sequence as normal keeping your eyes closed until after the shot agian keeping your bow arm raised after the shot. One other method is to draw and aim as normal focus on the target keeping the bow drawn stay on target for a good thirty seconds then let down your draw DO NOT SHOOT just draw, anchor, aim aim aim then let down. Do one or all of these things for a few practice sessions. Resist the urge to try to shoot a normal session at least until youve done this a few times then try a normal session thats starts with one of these drills first and see if that helps.

3. KyleLewis

KyleLewis Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like your afraid of something. If your afraid of hitting your forearm with the string get a guard until your more comfortable/confident.

4. infantryoif

infantryoif Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Squeeze the trigger slow. So slow that the actual moment of release should be unpredictable. This will prevent the flinching you're probably doing in anticipation of the shot.

Sent from my phone. Spelling was not a priority.

5. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    maybe lower the poundage of your bow til you get used to it. with less weight it's easier to get the right habits down. then increase your poundage when you get your muscle memory down. hope that helps!

6. Jtmoney2002

Jtmoney2002 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just seems like you need more practice, Take a deep breath before you shoot and relax and exhale as you *squeeze* the trigger.

7. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It's target panic. It is not easy to beat. Google target panic and you may find something that helps. It happened to the great Fred Bear even. I'm fighting it myself. You have to retrain your brain.

8. MassBow413

MassBow413 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    watch the arrow hit the target from when you pull the trigger, dont move

9. Doublelung1977

Doublelung1977 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Drink a six pack of bud lite. If your under age I don't condone or take responsibility for this comment.