Hung a set and just didn't go right!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Sticknstringarchery, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I hung a stand this evening and nothing went right at all. I used a 20' stick and just could not get it to go right at all. It is about 15' up which I am fine with but, from the start it was a pain and from the first strap I wrapped around the tree missed by about an inch. Then it sucked from there. No where near as smooth as the last few sets. Top that off with right before I was done and in the tree looking out and around, there is a trail I couldn't seen that cuts right through this patch of trees. Good? maybe, then again I just sweated my *ss off and walked right over it several times. I was not happy with any of it. I got it hung and just left it and went on to the house. I'm going to hunt it as I do all sets at least once and see how I feel on a sit.

Anyone else ever had a set like this and how did it go once you hunted it?

2. Cablebob

Cablebob Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    LOL!! YES! while walking to the tree I fell down a hill...after making a huge amount of noise, and covering everything in sight with human scent I could only hang the stand at about 12'. I hunted that stand 1 week later and missed a mature doe and shot the young doe that was with her. It will be okay. Give it 4-5 days to settle.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  3. ILLbucknut

ILLbucknut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Are you hanging 2 stands? By the sound of your post, your were only hanging a stand.

4. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah time will fix this. You'll be fine brother.

5. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I know usually in the first 5 mins whether or not I'm gonna like the tree I picked. This year for the first time in many years I am happy with my set. I took my time thought everything through and it worked out the best I could ask for. Too bad I can't say that everytime. :lmao:

6. Sticknstringarchery

Dislikes Received:
    By rut I will have 5 up and probably 4 climber trees. Then a few still sit spots. I usually have 3 done a few weeks before season. This year I have a new job. This has been a blessing financially (thus the 5 instead of 3) but, I have not been able to get stands hung like I usually do.

To answer more directly, I have 2 done now.

7. ILLbucknut

Dislikes Received:
    Thats not what I was asking. I have 15+ stands and thats what I hang... stands.
    Unless your hanging 2 stands in 1 tree, your hanging a stand not a set.

You sound like you watch to much damn TV.

8. Straight Shooter

Straight Shooter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Give it a few days and the scent factor will be fine. Some of the biggest pain in the neck sets I have hung over the years turned out to be the best ones! Good luck!

9. ALL4HUNTIN

ALL4HUNTIN Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thats what was nice about hanging some stands last Sunday.. It rained 3 times washing our scent from the woods !!! That sure was nice !!

10. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I hang a "set" of climbing sticks and a stand.....

11. Swampthing

Swampthing Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hung a stand this weekend and sweated my a$$ off all over the place. Then proceeded to jump a buck on my way out. Also fell in the river, which is mostly just black mud at this point, and cut my hand with a saw. I'd say you did better than I did.

12. rizzo999

rizzo999 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I was thinking the same thing when I first began reading the post then realized it was a single stand in a tree he was hanging. All of these hunting shows have negatively influenced the way that we speak regarding hunting. Another one that bothers me is when I hear people state "I just smoked one". Really? You brought your smoker out to the woods to cook that sucker right here....awesome! I have never seen an archery killed deer "smoke", but have seen plenty of "steam" come out of a gun shot deer during cold weather. Maybe that is what I will begin yelling. "I just steamed one"!!!

OK, back to the topic at hand. Yes, I have hand way too many issues in the past hanging stands. I found a great tree to set-up in a very narrow funnel about 10 years ago. Unfortunately, that tree was a hawthorne tree. By the time I finally got my stand about 16' in the tree I had lost (probably) 2 pints of blood! That was not the worst part. Right around Halloween there was a strong wind storm that came thru and took a limb from a neighboring oak tree down. The limb perfectly destroyed my hang-on stand, which at that time was my only one as I had mostly ladder stands. I never got to hunt that stand. The landowner passed away shortly after and the tree-hugging kids posted the property.

13. englum_06

englum_06 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I hang a "set" as well when I hang a "set" of sticks and stand. Just one stand. It's still a set.

Jesus, I can't believe were criticizing a guy over calling his single stand and sticks a "set"... Which it is...

14. englum_06

englum_06 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hanging my SETS has gotten much easier as all I hang anymore is a 20' stick. I don't mess with hanging the stands anymore because I'm just packig my lone wolf in on my back and climbing up the pre-placed 20' stick ladders. Much quicker and efficient when it comes to hunting those trees that I know I'm going to be in multiples times.

15. Sticknstringarchery

Dislikes Received:
    Dude? Are you seriously wasting your time trying to make me sound stupid?? And we all wonder what is wrong with the hunting community. Guys like this may be a good place to start looking.

I actually got the terminology off here somewhere. I don't watch many hunting shows at all. Don't even get the channels to be honest. It sounds like you must to know what terminology they use.

I have to say your post was extremely humorous!!

16. ILLbucknut

Dislikes Received:
    As was yours.

17. tylerhnick3024

tylerhnick3024 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

Not sure why a phrase such as "smoked one", especially when it's clearly not used in a literal sense, grinds your gears so much. Using your logic, apparently the landowner's kids literally hugged the trees you were planning on hunting from

18. Fisherman19

Fisherman19 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think you will be fine. Last year I went out and climbed my SET up a tree. For some reason I could not let get the arm bar of my climber to grab the bark of the tree once I got up there. I thought I had it secure only to have crash down on the base twice. After the second time I figured I had successfully let everything in the woods know I where I was. So I went home and drank coffee. Thank god for my safety harness

19. Tim Ainsworth

Tim Ainsworth BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    Agreed completely, he got the point across no matter if he called it a set, pair, platform,stand,perch,or even banana. Does it really matter what he calls it?

On a different note, I think you will be fine sticks, get out there and knock em dead!

20. Sticknstringarchery

Dislikes Received:
    I'll be going to get another SET next week. Set of sticks and hang on. I was out and about and found a nice looking area with a bunch of deer droppings under a couple white oaks. Guess I will SET up there as well. Maybe I will actually hang a SET to film at this one.