bow hunting clothing

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by svu0312, Aug 14, 2012.

1. svu0312

svu0312 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am starting to bow hunt this year and I wanted to know what is the best clothing for a reasonable price that can be used for bow hunting. My current clothes make too much noise for a close range shot and I dont know if they have any sent protection. Please let me know what you use and my climate is mostly in the 40-80 range during bow season so I dont need the warmest gear. Thank you!

2. santibowhunter

santibowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use the new under armour scent control, long sleeve very light for hunting here in Mexico, red head lightweight pants, under armour base layer, under armour dead calm baclava all in realtree ap. very good for hot weather and just put on a jacket when it's cold

3. Jmcarlson6641

Jmcarlson6641 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a medium weight scent blocker pants and the scent blocker "outfitter" coat. I really like them them both! Just bought a light set of scent blocker for early season and for layers later in the season when the temps fall. I like everything I have but can't say I have tried other stuff to compare it to.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

4. LongIslandBowHunting

LongIslandBowHunting Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    scent lok full season, its very thin but still keeps you very arm, you can hunt in 20 degrees in dec. and 70 degrees in october. the bibs and jacket are the best. and its cheap only about 200$ for the whole outfit on cabelas.

5. Oklahoma99

Oklahoma99 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Only $200? I'm not trying to knock on you guys' clothing choices but to me $200 dollars isn't cheap. I think all of the scent control stuff gets WAY overrated. I don't see how cheap mossy oak camo at wal-mart is any different from overpriced scent control clothing. Properly taken care of cheap camo will do just as good or better. I wash them in baking soda and store them in the same stuff with a few cedar branches thrown in the mix. Never winded once last season, even when they were down wind. My stands are usually below 15ft also so if there was a time to get busted it would of been then. Not knocking on you guys but that's just my 2 cents.

6. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I agree the scent lok, blocker crap is a lot of hype and marketing...that said even without it 200 bucks don't go to far buying quality hunting cloths or anything else...If you can buy a quality pants and jacket for 200...scent lok or otherwise your doing ok.

7. Oklahoma99

Dislikes Received:
    Well really it depends on what you want. If a person just absolutely has to have one of those 2-in-1 hunting jackets with a ton of pockets, and camo pants that have 10 cargo pockets, then yes it will be creeping up towards 200. I bought mossy oak pants for $25 and a jacket for $30. I just don't see why people have to buy things that really aren't needed but that's just me.

8. Jtmoney2002

Jtmoney2002 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Carbon lined clothing only works for only so many washes and dry, Maybe 10 to 15 washes and drys till the carbon has adsorbed all it can and cant filter anymore of the air. A regular dryer only gets so hot and to regenerate carbon you need temps of 1500 to 2000 degrees and at those temps you wouldn't have any clothes. Id say focus on the wind, and controlling your scent with cover spray ,body washes , clothing wash. And itll be alot cheaper than the 200 pair of scent blocker pants and 200 scent blocker jacket that will only work for so long.

9. svu0312

svu0312 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for all the replies. Bow season opens up in a few weeks for me and I will start looking for the right clothing.

10. SOIL hunter

SOIL hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So you wear a pair of pants and a jacket for the entire season??? Do you sit all day? What temps do you see?

I'm not sold on the scent control stuff, but good quality clothes that allow me to sit all day comfortably in any weather is worth their weight.

11. carl marin

carl marin Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I've got the scentlok timberfleece in realtree ap and its great for mid to late season here in N.Y.I use scentblocker base layers and a scentlok beanie with rubber boots.I also bought a pair of bowhunting gloves by manzella and so far I'm impressed.I'm able to switch stand sites quietly and stay warm for hours while on stand in most weather conditions.Good luck.

12. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    sounds like most of the stuff i got this year. How early do you wear your jacket. will it be okay for early season in IL you think? i know it will be good for the later season just wonder how it will be in oct./nov.

13. Oklahoma99

Dislikes Received:
    Warmer temps I'll just wear a camo longsleeve shirt then depending on how cool it gets I'll start to add layers of cotton longsleeve shirts under it then when cold temps come I'll stack a hoodie and jacket on top of the other stuff. Late season morning temps get down into the lower teens. I'm honestly way too impatient to be able to sit in a tree from first light to dark. With the house 500 yards away I start thinking about a warm stove and food after about 4 hours of sitting :o

14. baja_blast1

baja_blast1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I use the red head leafy suit(50), camo gloves(4)and camo mesh mask(5). coming to about $60, not to bad but the leafy suit may make some noise. Just use some scent killer spray if your worried about your scent.

15. Boostjunkie1

Boostjunkie1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Wally World Realtree Hardwoods Green cargo pants and light long sleeve shirt... Camo gloves... Red Head Leaf Suit... All washed in scent free wash and stored in a scent free bag after spraying some cover scent on them. I never get winded due to liberally applying cover scent throughout the day while on stand. I also hunt 20'+ up in the air and try to monitor the wind. The Carbon clothing is a huge gimmick and anyone who does not pay attention to bodily cleaning.... deodorant.... cloths washing.... boots being clean and scent free.... and BAD BREATH... Your going to get busted big time!

16. nate

nate Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A leaf suit can be worn over anything and everything you already have, and it's cheap. If you're hunting in those temps you might not wear anything under under it :cool:

Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  17. brotherbadger

brotherbadger Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Buy out of season too. I picked up a $60 pair of pants for $12 last spring.

18. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    this ^^ i bought scent lok gear because i got it cheap i got a jacket and pants for about 170 when it was normally double that. so i got a good deal.

19. infantryoif

infantryoif Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I wear Russell Outdoors' APX series. It's a multi-level system, which is great for this MN bowhunter. I try to dress down as much as possible for the walk in, so having lightweight layers is important. Once in the stand I layer up, and their system is designed so that you can do so while sill wearing boots and such. Their outer layers have many pockets in very convenient places and they're made of a material that is very quiet. They also do not use any raw fleece on the outside, which from my experience is the worst fabric to have facing the elements as it is like velcro for plant life.

Price is pretty reasonable, bought mine at Gander Mountain. They stopped selling it there this year, though. Now they have a near identical copy in the GSX brand, which I'm thinking is Gander Mountain's own line. Looks like decent stuff also. Just sucks that I invested money into a layering system and now I can't go buy more when I need them.

Links to both:
    http://www.russelloutdoorsgear.com/APX-Hunting-Products/b/2927398011/ref=apx-level4-category
    http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=GSX-Mens-Core-Jacket&i=617671&aID=501Z8A&merchID=4006

I'm kind of liking the King's Mountain camo. Never saw it until just now. I probably would have taken that over Mossy Oak Treestand.

20. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I use Redhead leafy camo suits Realtree$50 and Mossy oak $50, the leafy masks $9 each, manzella warm weather gloves$14, Enduraskin base layer @BPS, long sleeve top$24 and pants$24 and balaclava $15. Grand Total $195.00 People that hunt with me say I disappear in the tree. You have two setups for early season (green leafy) and mid season(brown foilage) hunting. Here in the South this is all I need until November.