Anyone use Military style camo instead of traditional real tree mossy oak etc....??

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Maleko, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Maleko

Maleko Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Been using real tree with a light weight Ghille over 90%of the time. LOve the Ghille

Since the main reason of came is to break up your out line, Why not use the Military style Bdu's They are alot cheaper to buy. Was thinking about the multi cam pattern this year, thought? or something maybe darker.
    Will most likely have the Ghille on . Just thinking out loud here.

Lets see any pics you may have with Bdu style camp in the bush.

Thanks

2. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have used the chemical suit in army green with great success in the past. IMO,it is a great pattern for breaking up your outline.I don't have any photos other than an after photo.The pants were under bibs at the time I took the deer but you can kind of see how they would work.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
  3. striker

striker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was thinking of wearing military camo also. I was setting some trees with a friend who was wearing some pants like the ones in tfox's photo, he was ahead if ne on the way in and I was pretty surprised how well he blended in. I use predator camo that I love but the military stuff kinda looks like the same open type pattern.

4. Iowa Veteran

Iowa Veteran Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I used to use a MOPP training suit. You can buy them in camo pattern relatively cheap compared to some of the other stuff. They work great for hunting but will leave that charcoal film all over your clothes. None of my BDU's fit me anymore, so I packed them away.

5. okcaveman

okcaveman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    When I could find bdu's that would fit me, they were all I wore hunting and I never had a problem getting busted

6. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yea, i took my suit out of the package right before going into the woods. Came out completely covered but it worked great. Had several deer around me that day and some even walked my trail. Had some look right through me and never once got busted.

I've been looking for a green camo pair for a while and all i seem to find anymore are the desert patterns or solid colors.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

7. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Wouldn't you know it, just tried again and found them with my second click. :rolleyes:

Great price and if you want a true carbon suit that does lock in scent, best on the market.

http://www.armygear.net/ag/store/0020a.html

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

8. Soonerbldr

Soonerbldr Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I was watching a hunting show and they were talking about all of the real tree, mossy oak etc... But they are only good for part of a season depending on where you are. They were talking about a guy walking from a hunt camp wearing real tree and he looked like a black blob after about 30 yards because his camo did not blend in. They were advocating the Cabela's outfitter camo because it is like the old military camo pattern in muted colors. I bought a set of MARPAT forest bdu's for this season. When I was younger I used old school camo washed in scent blocker and had bucks walk right up on me.

9. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm thinking of going with wool pants and wool flanel shirts. But that might look funny since I don't shoot trad.

set from my electronic carrier pigeon

10. CILhunter

CILhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've used my Woodland BDUs for early season hunts and they work great. Always figured they would, since they worked in the woods when in the Army.

11. USarmyMP

USarmyMP Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Midwest Ohio and anywhere the army sends me.
    I was thinking about using our Multicam pattern for hunting before I even deployed. then when I got to see our camo in action, Im sold. There were times when we were hunkered down that I could not find my Soldiers. I had to yell at them so that they would move so I could see them. I will use it mainly as an early season through octoberish pattern. Once November hits, Ill switch to my Sitka gear.

12. michael_pearce

michael_pearce Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    i told my brother to use his.
    The digital patt is great.
    You can also use a leafy suit over it.
    They have some cheaper ones at bass pro for about $50

Sent from my LG-E739 using Tapatalk 2

13. Chiro_Archer

Chiro_Archer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just watched a whole YouTube video series on building your own gillie suit last night, I am definitely thinking about making a project out of this

14. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I was in AF Reserve for a long time and have plenty so that is what I usually wear. I have also killed plenty of deer in blue denim overalls, with a tee shirt on too. Camo is a tool that helps conceal us but nothing beats stealth, good stand placement and careful wind control. Not saying camo isn't good... just that it won't make-up for poor hunting basics, no matter how well it hides us.

I remember reading articles by Chuck Adams before he went so commercial.... He wore almost nothing but jeans and flannel around the time he completed his "Super Slam" and would even challenge the thinking of people relying on camo to improve their hunting prowess. Remember those guys do get paid to endorce products. Military camo is just fine.

15. REMYNGTON

REMYNGTON Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have hunted for years with the military style BDU's.. they have always worked great for me. My father is a retired MP so when he retired he gave me 3 full camo BDU's uniforms and a heavy duty layer able camo BDU's coat.. (couldn't beat the price either lol) love them they work awesome. I do have some mossy oak clothes and gear aswell but the BDU's are just as good and effective in my opinion.

Nock em down, Drag em out!!

16. bohica

bohica Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    bdu's are ok, multi cam is the only thing worth a damn

17. rcowan

rcowan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I wear BDU's and even wear PolyPros underneath. My Rich Uncle gave them to me so the price was right :-) I would like to find some tiger stripes but the surplus store here doesn't carry them.

RC

18. FullTimeKiller

FullTimeKiller Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    In my opinion the new camo patterns from sitka are amazing, my friend showed me a pic of him in the sitka optifade camo gear and i honestly couldnt see him in the rocks he was sitting at, he was quite a ways away but unreal how the sitka pixel style camo blends in. I seen a video on the sitka camo and they were explaing how its harder for animals to see pixilated style camo, i tried to get it to show on here, but couldnt find it. And i guess thats the reason sitka switched to the pixilated style of camo because it must really work, because when they first started out they had just the normal huntin camo.

19. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I use my MARPAT bdu in early season because it's usually warm, or at least has been around here for last couple years. They work pretty good and I've even used the desert MARPAT coyote hunting in snow, prolly not as good as all white but gotta be better than realtree ha. Got it pretty cheap only cost 4.5 years of my time ha.

20. Krohboy

Krohboy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I wear Opidefade and do wonderfully.