Release shooters

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Schultzy, Apr 5, 2009.

1. in da woods

in da woods Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've only had it happen once, and that was mechanical failure of the release. The bearings inside finally wore out. The first time I thought that I was at fault, but after 2 more time aiming at the ground, it fired off as soon as I puut pressure when drawing back.
    Any thing other than that is operator error. Whether the triggger is too lite, or touching while drawing. You should never have your finger infront of the release when drawing, it should be behind the trigger to prevent such an accicdent.

2. boonedog

boonedog Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    20 years shooting releases. Winn Free Flight and Scott. Never happened to me.

3. NY/Al

NY/Al Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Never in my 6 years of shooting bow and arrow have I had my release trip on me. Ive been using the same tru-fire hurricane buckle the whole time...

4. NY/Al

NY/Al Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Never in my 6 years of shooting bow and arrow have I had my release trip on me. Ive been using the same tru-fire hurricane buckle the whole time...

5. inplainview

inplainview Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've only been at it a year, but I have yet to have my release fail as well. I shoot a cobra release because it was all I could find that I could dial down to the size I needed. I keep my index finger in top of the release until its time to let go.

I have however seen release failure, and I dont know if it was the user or the mechanics.

6. Southernboy

Southernboy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I accidently hit the trigger on the draw the first time I shot one and lost an arrow....I put my finger behind the trigger now and have never had the problem since.....on it "being hard on their fingers"...I think that is because the new bows are so short the angle of the string from the nock to the axles is sharp and would be uncomfortable and seems like it would be kinda tight for a clean release...I shot fingers and tabs for years...until I reentered archery w/ modern gear.

SB

7. KEITH D

KEITH D Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Happened to me once while practicing a long time ago, but it was an accidental trigger touch. It happened when I moved my finger from behind the trigger to the front. Scared me so bad it never happened again.

8. Brknarrow

Brknarrow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    no issues here - been using a release for more than 20 years

9. Gr8atta2d

Gr8atta2d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I see plenty of instances where a bow has gone off prior to "wanting it too". But it's always shooter induced. Usually the back tension shooters.

I've never seen a release just let go on it's own. My Tru-ball (the ONLY release I've ever owned, I don't mean the brand..I mean the actual release) has only had one issue of that happening and a part wore out. They fixed it free.

10. Ga Troutman

Ga Troutman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I to belong to this group!!!