Flooring Question

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Sswpriz, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Sswpriz

Sswpriz Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am thinking about redoing the floor in my kitchen from laminate to the new Allure Ultra vinyl plank flooring. I have read quite a bit about it online and it seems that either you love it or you hate it, 50 / 50 ~!!!

Has anyone here had any first hand expeerience with this floor that is sold by Home Depot ?
    Did you install yourself ? I can tackle that part myself, I am pretty handy around the house.

Just wanted to check to see if anyone here has actually used this material...the planks that click together like laminate, not the glue strip planks.

2. flstnhd

flstnhd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm happy with mine. I installed it in my basement bathroom. Waterproof. Looks great. Easy to install. After trying a utility knife or hand shear/tin snip (as recommended by the home depot person) I ended up using my table saw to cut them.

3. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Keep us filled in... I want to know also.

4. Black-ice

Black-ice Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Did it in my trailer house and loved it, Moved a year ago and used it in all 4 bedrooms and whole basemet. Easy to install, i allso used my table saw for long cuts and chop saw for leangh cuts, put a small tooth blade on and cut slow.

5. Sswpriz

Sswpriz Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Did any of you have any problems with the planks "locking" together or coming apart after you installed the planks ?

This seems to be a common problem for many people on some forums that talked about this material.

6. Sswpriz

Sswpriz Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Finished putting in the floor. Looks great, wasn't really that hard, I did 120 square feet in my kitchen, along with tearing out the old laminate, cutting and trimming out around several doors in about 12 hours. I just need to get some trim back on.
    As far as cutting, for straight cuts, I useed my utility knife, scored it about 3 times and it snaps off like they said. For making cuts for around doors and such, I found that my jig saw worked really well.
    You do need to make sure that these planks "click" together as they say, I had a few that it took me a few times to get right.