New bow need help with sights, rests, releases

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by clannagael, Jul 8, 2012.

1. clannagael

clannagael Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I bought my first compound bow back in '95 -a Jennings Laser Star, woohoo. :)

After messing around with it for about 8 years I bought a nice Horton crossbow and I've hunted with that since about '05. Crossbow hunting is nice to fill the freezer but it's just not the same.

Maybe I should split this into 4 different posts....

Yesterday I stopped at my local shop and ordered a Hoyt Rampage XT Long Draw. Of course I had to order it, I'm almost 6-4 and I need a 31" draw. :) In any case I have about 3 weeks to learn what I need to learn to before it gets here so I'll be able to pick out a rest, release, and sight. Obviously things have changed _a lot_ since I had my compound in the 90's.

Based on reading reviews and a little bit of educated guessing here's what I'm leaning toward:
    • NAP Apache rest
    • Hoyt Carbon Pro sight
    • Release: ???
    Please feel free to add opinions, anecdotes, etc.

Release

I spent an hour (seriously) looking at releases today and without actually using them I can't make heads or tails of the advantages or disadvantages of them. When I had my compound I shot fingers until the last two seasons I had it when I bought a cheap tru-ball release and shot it without a loop.

So, what's the pros/cons of hook, double operating jaw, single jaw, jaws that are split in the middle vs. jaws like the Scott releases. I'll be shooting with a loop.

Sights

From what I can tell they're all pretty similar with respect to the pins but I see an advantage to the carbon for keeping weight down. I also like the enclosed/protected pins. From what I saw at the shop today I just didn't see any obvious disadvantages of the Hoyt Carbon Pro.

Also, what is rubber attachment between the cables and string for on some peeps? I'd prefer to have just a peep served in the string but I don't really know what the rubber tubing is for.

Rests

I started thinking the Ultra Rest might be the way I wanted to go but I've read a few grumblings as well as some positive things (not dropping when letting off). On the other hand I haven't seen anything but rave reviews on the Apache. I'm have no interest in a shoot-through like the WB for several reasons: noise, hard on arrows, etc.

Opinions, links, etc. are welcome.

Thanks!
    Dave

2. aaron21

aaron21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i like the ultra rest. the tru fire hardcore is a very good release, also the scott sabertooth and silverhorn.

3. Ryno_25

Ryno_25 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    i like the ultra rest have shot it for a few years, great product.

4. Adamant2010

Adamant2010 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    QAD HDX rest and truefire hardcore release is the way to go!

5. BOWDADDY64

BOWDADDY64 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The hose is on the peep to turn the peep to face the target at full draw, most of the newer bows out today have little to no creep in the string, so a tubless peep like a a G5 meta will work and be a heck of alot quieter than squeaky humming hose lol, and as for releases I'd look for something with a rotating type head or that has a strap attachment, so as to not place any tourqe on the loop or string. You mentioned the Ultra rest not dropping, the ONLY time they do that is if they are improperly installed, which I think would be hard as they come with a instructional DVD on set up. Although you will find the occasional PRO shop with a "I'm a PRO" mentality that will install them wrong! Happened to me :lol:

6. okdeerhunter

okdeerhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Site anything spot Hogg is awsome peep go tubeless true peep or g5 release any shop worth calling them selves a pro shop should have demo a demo of just about every release they carry or let you try out a release to see what fits you I mean your getting a whole new set up. Good luck with the new bow

Sent from my hand held hunting device

7. LongIslandBowHunting

LongIslandBowHunting Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    if ur not looking to go crazy with money but still get quality, i use a tru glo 3 pin sight, a whisker biscuit rest, and tru fire hurricane release

8. Kramer

Kramer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on your new bow. Make sure you shoot a few releases before you buy. Like ok said, any reputable pro shop should have some demo's for you to try out.

One little thing I've noticed on sights is that different people like different diameter pins. If you pick out a fiber optic illuminated type of sight, it is much harder to change the pins out.

Good luck

9. huntsitall

huntsitall Newb

Dislikes Received:
    QAD Ultra rest is a sweet rest... those who grummble should set it up correctly and see how they feel then. As for sights your spot on with the Hoyt Carbon Pro. Release wise its really a personal choice... go with what you are the most comfortable with.... I use a Scott Mongoose but True Fire and True Ball also make good releases.

10. clannagael

clannagael Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I did have my eye on the Ultra Rest. I admit that I'm attracted to that sexy packaging like a crow to tinfoil. :)

11. Adamant2010

Adamant2010 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    As far as your peep goes...I personally don't use one...i just use a small kisser and work on having a consistent anchor point!

12. twillcox

twillcox Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    when you buy a release buy one with a buckle not velcro. First off it is quieter and you can make it the same size every time. This makes everything much more consistant.

13. xsc9621

xsc9621 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    the nap apache is awesome. i just got it and my groups have gotten so much better. from 25 yards i have to aim at different points of the target otherwise i will rip of my fletchings and damage my broad heads and nocks. it was so easy to tune. i just got it out of the box served it in and used the tool less adjustment to centre shot it. i have had no problems with fallaway speed. one thing to keep in mind is that it needs to be high enough food ur vanes to pass the provided rubber rest that sticks onto ur shelf so the arrow does not make a noise when drawing back.

14. chart33

chart33 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have the apache. Great rest for a good price.

In terms of releases bass pro shops, cabelas, or any pro shop should let you test them.

Have fun accessorizing!

15. frantzracing0

frantzracing0 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldnt shy away from a whisker bisket. They are not hard on arrows like you may think. And with proper fletchings such as blazers the wb will have no effect on it. At most 3-5 fps slower but to me thats a very easy trade off considering the wb's ease of use and no hassle/worry when in the stand

16. clannagael

clannagael Newb

Dislikes Received:
    So, I finally got my rig all put together and setup. Been practicing in the backyard for a week now and I'm very happy.

Here's what I went with:

• Fuse Carbon Interceptor with Micro-adjust
    • UltraRest HDx
    • Truball Beast II
    • 3/16 peep

With a 31" DL at 70 pounds and a 30" shaft it seems l'm right at a 300 spine arrow. After talking it over with a guy at my shop I went with 340 Easton Axis arrows 30" carbon to carbon. The length is perfect. I don't seem to have any problems so far. Don't expect to, but we'll see.

Thanks for the advice and input.

Dave

17. ILLUSION HUNTER

ILLUSION HUNTER Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The NAP Apache rest is a great rest, and comes with a great price. Releases are tricky there is so many different styles best thing to do if your able to is try a few and see what feels best. I like the ones that fold back tward your wrist, its a cool feature that keeps them out of the way.

18. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    For rests I would look at the apache and ripcord code red. Both are priced better. I have the ripcord and in 2 years and thousands of arrows it has been 100% flawless. I've never had an apache but I have yet to see any negative review whatsoever.

For releases, try them out. Be sure to try the strapless type also (thumb release). I have a truball and I'm not a real big fan of it. The fold back portion is sweet but it's not a comfortable. That is for me though. I also have a cobra that is awesome, but it's so unreliable. It got wet and coroded. Also the strap is wider than the buckle. The pin comes out of the 360 swivel. however, the swivel portion is fantastic.

With a sight the bet thing to do is to just write down everything you want.
    For example. Me: 4 pins, all .010, metal housing, light that shined vertically downward onto the fibers, lost camo... What I came up with was the G5 rock sight. It had everthing I wanted and was relatively cheap.

The tube is to ensure your peep is straight. Some people use and like them. I'm not a fan. I think they reduce the light into the peep, get in the way and are just more hassle than they're worth. Again, in my opion.

The best thing to do is to just do your research. There are so many products out there. Set criteria as to what you want, then you can narrow down your choices.

Good luck and have fun. If you have any more questions, this website is sweet!