Rage two blade broadheads

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by twigg267, Jul 24, 2012.

1. twigg267

twigg267 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I had a rage open in mid air causeing me to loss a nice deer last year. My fault for haveing old O rings. Anyone else having problems with rage heads?

2. VA_Bowhunter

VA_Bowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Haven't personally had experience with them but I remember hearing a bunch of people talk about having to replace the o rings in mechanical broadheads quite often. Some people say o rings are cheap and they don't let it knock them out of mechanical broadheads and some people just stick to fixed blades.

3. gene hurt

gene hurt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Have switched from rages due to the o rings. I like a cut on contact so I have switched to NAP mechanicals.

4. Rutin

Rutin Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Curious how you knew the broadhead opened in air? I shoot the same head and by the time I release my arrow, its smacking the intended target. Im hesitant on if this was the real problem or didnt it hit a small twig, ect. Either way this has been a HIGE fear of mine and has almost sent me back to shooting a fixed head again. Last year as a precautionary measure I put small orthodontic bands (for braces) on the top of my blades to keep them closed until impact and it worked great.

5. NCRemington700

NCRemington700 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    South Carolina... Fulton Co, IL in November
    I was just about to ask the same question...how do you know it opened in mid air?

6. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have been shooting Rage Broadheads ever since they came out and I have not had this problem. I go through all my broadheads and make sure they snap close around the O-Ring. If they don't I replace the O-Ring and if that don't work, I replace the blades. I have only had to do that twice! I am not a big fan of the O-Ring, so I take extra measures to make sure they are in good shape. I am switching to the new 2 Blade Extreme this year due to the new Shock Collar.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  7. Straight Shooter

Straight Shooter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The rage opening in midair was NOT the problem. I have stood in the yard and shot a rage with both blades open before the shot into a block with a white piece of paper over it. There was no erratic flight and both blades did what they were supposed to do going into the target. Multiple times. Next, I opened only one blade. same result. No erratic flight. Both blades fully deployed. Then I opened both blades and pushed them forward before the shot. No issues. The rage debate will probably never be settled. But, if guys think changing an O-ring is the reason for changing broad heads, then they are probably not paying attention to other aspects of their hunting as well. I have shot 28 in a row with a rage 2 blade without losing one deer. But, then I practice and pay attention to details...Just sayin'.

8. twigg267

twigg267 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    rage open on impact??

It could have been a small twigg. arrow flight was perfect into chest with very little penatration.

9. bohica

bohica Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    How can you say the broadhead opened in flight? Sounds like poor shot placement to me, you didnt say if you hit the deer. But im pretty damn sure if what you said did happend that means the blades were expanded which in turn just turned your mechanical broadhead into a fixed, which in turn with a good shot would mean a kill. Kinda busted on this one dude, you made a bad shot and now your blaming it on the equipment instead of owning up to a bad shot. Not trying to start a fight but come on man dont blame the equipment.

10. twigg267

twigg267 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for your input tough guy!!

Do you have anything to add about rage heads or are you just a blow hard? if you would read it says deer was hit perfect in the chest without much penatration. This will be my 37th bow season. I only wanted some simple input. But thank you for being that one in every crowd Mr. perfect *** hole.:evilgrin::evilgrin: Bohic

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  11. twigg267

twigg267 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks sharp eye

Thanks for your input sharp eye!! I think i will look into the new blades also. I've killed a few deer with the rage heads with awsome blood trails and clean pass through. This just blew me away because it was a broad side shot dead center of chest. Should have blown straght through. Good luck to ya!!!!

12. twigg267

twigg267 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    open shot

It was the only thing i could think of. deer was in wide open,broad side and i hit him in the chest. I would expect a blow through and i only got 4inchs of penatration. 25 yards with a 65lb draw and i'm 100% sure i didnt hit the shoulder. It sounded like i hit him with a blunt. Thanks for you help.

13. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Perhaps, as a new member, you might think about calling out members on this site, especially if you are looking for input or advice. Just a thought.

As far as the rage, I can't say I have experience that problem. I shoot the 2 blade rage.

As far as the shot, you didn't really give much information. How much penetration, was the deer quartering to, away, broadside? Did it hit a little too far forward and catch one of the leg bones, or the scapula? Did you have a clear shot with no obstructions? What type of bow are you shooting, whats your draw weight and length, and what's your arrow weight?

It's easy to blame the equipment, but generally, that plays only a small part.

14. twigg267

twigg267 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks skywalker. Just thought an old bow hunter could ask a simple question.

15. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My issue with Rage was the ferrule durability, not the flight. I used dental rubber bands on the front to insure the blades didn't deploy.

My other issue with Rages are that to many people shoot them without thought to the proper KE required to consistently get pass though. What's you setup?
    '

16. bohica

bohica Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Actually your original post said nothing about the shot, just you blaming the mistake on the equipment. Your right I didnt see your second post saying vary little about the shot. Like I said not here to fight, I do enough of that where im at right now.

As to the broadhead's, its hit or miss with rage either you love them or hate them, I have them but havnt used them yet but will be using them this season when I return from afghanistan. There is one member here I forget his name who may have posted all ready but has taken I think 28 deer in a row, with no problems. Some people have had ferrull (sc) problem's but rage has now came up with something to counter that. Now they have the chisel tip's which look vary promising to fix that problem which is what I have bought. Dont be a **** on here no one was a **** to you. We call it how we see it, if you cant take constructive criticism then you probablly shouldn't be on here bud.

17. rknierim

rknierim Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've never had a problem with them. Wish the blades were a little more durable, but that's not that big a deal. I've only had 2 that weren't pass thrus, and one hit a twig and the other I made a bad shot. Both deer were recovered tho, so it was a learning experience. My whole family uses Rage 3 blade. Don't give up for one bad outcome

18. Drop_Tine5214

Drop_Tine5214 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My guess would be that you hit the shoulder, it may not have looked like it from where you were, but many times what we see and what actually happened are very different in that split second. I have used Rage's many times and have never had a problem with them opening early, however I did switch from them from a lack of full pass-throughs. This can be explained though because I have a short draw length and a 60# draw weight. Even so, every deer I have shot has piled up within 100 yards of the stand. If I ever go back to Rage, I think I will try the 40KE. I think if you have enough power, stick with them.

19. randy3003

randy3003 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a friend that uses rage exclusivly and has had this happen while practicing. His solution to the problem has been to replace the bands every year. I personally shoot swackers and have as of so far have not had one open up pre contact

20. CofC

CofC Newb

Dislikes Received:
    The guy just jumped on him for asking a simple question and made some pretty big accusations about his shooting abilities, thats all he was sayin