DIY Mule Deer

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by bowhunter73, Jan 19, 2012.

1. bowhunter73

bowhunter73 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Trying to plan a mule deer hunt on public land if anyone has any recommendations of area in any state that would be greatly appreciated.

2. Itswhatwedooutdoors6

Itswhatwedooutdoors6 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I dont know much, but if it were me i would try and go to colorado. Lots of public land and licenses readily available

3. BigSarge1974

BigSarge1974 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have went on two in and near Pine Haven Wyoming. Quite a bit of public ground...I have a buddy that has cabins for lodging and a good knowledge about the area. I have taken two muley's out there and several doe muley's as well. Beautiful area and great lodging. Also a great area for antelope as well. Although this past winter put a hurt on the antelope there are several other area's fairly close. message me if you would like more info.
    Sarge

4. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Do you have any preference points and decided when you plan to go? This may narrow the available areas considerably. The following website is quite useful for draw odds in the west.
    http://www.hunterstrailhead.com/

5. SouthDakotaHunter

SouthDakotaHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    One of the big things you need to decide is what type of hunt/experience are you looking for?

Are you wanting to hunt remote wilderness area, back packing everything in, are you wanting to hunt fairly remote but yet have a road side camp - say on forest service ground, are you wanting to find a place that has a modern campground with electricity, are you wanting a city hunt - staying in a hotel every night??? How much pressure are you wanting to put up with? Do you want an over the counter type tag or what type of odds are you looking for when drawing a tag.... What time of year are you considering (early, mid, or late/rut season) Is trophy quality important? Would you rather have a great chance at a 130-150" buck or would you rather see fewer deer but have a chance at a 170-180"? Once you decide what type of hunt your looking for, it will be easier for you to narrow down your different options...

6. bowhunter73

bowhunter73 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Im looking for a good chance at a 130 incher or better but I'm not to worried about trophy quality I'd rather see a lot of deer. I'm willing to backpack a few mies to set up camp and I will go whatever time of the year is best. I don't have any points so I'm looking for a something around a 75% chance at drawing a tag. If you have any recommendations p.m. me.

7. northernredneck

northernredneck Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Like others have said it 's all what you wana do and how long you have to spend out there. Your best bet is probably Wyoming or Colorado where tags are a little more plentiful. And also look into getting an elk while your out there if you can find a nice package deal. Also are you planing on doing a complete DIY hunt or are you wanting a little bit of guide help?

8. SouthDakotaHunter

Dislikes Received:
    PM sent... Hope it helps you out. If you have any more questions, let me know.

9. tonycrossi

tonycrossi Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Colorado Mule Deer

If you want to hunt Mule Deer in Colorado, I will be going this year and you're welcome to join me. Email me anytime, [email protected]

10. LongIslandBowHunting

LongIslandBowHunting Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    sand hills of nebraska, my older cousin is an avid hunter out there only been there once and saw multiple big deer.

11. Ken6

Ken6 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey South Dakota Hunter

I would like to hunt Mule Deer. Do you have any suggestions.?? I would settle for an average Buck. I was born in North Dakota, and lived in Sully Co, South Dakota for 3 years. I have Antelope hunted in SD - shot 3. I hunt Whitetails here in Ohio now. thanks for suggestions. - Ken

12. SouthDakotaHunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Ken,

I lived right next to Sully County for several years.... If you want, shoot me a PM about what your looking at for a hunt and I can try and give you some suggestions...

13. Ken6

Ken6 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Where did you live? I lived in Onida. I am just looking to get a nice Mule Deer Buck - doesn't have to be a trophy at all. Would like to hunt early. Bow or Gun. I have shot 5 SD Whitetails but never got a chance at a Mule Deer Buck. I can't figure how to PM you, my email is on my profile. Thanks. Ken

14. shootlong

shootlong Newb

Dislikes Received:
  15. Ken6

Ken6 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the tip, I sent for the info.

16. CObowhunter

CObowhunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Colorado tag's are by draw, but there are alot of good unit's that don't require many point's. I hunt 2 unit's that only require 2 point's for non-resident's and we see big deer every year. There are some sleeper unit's for big buck's that are over looked by most hunter's. Everyone want's to hunt the central part of the state where all the record book buck come from, but we have just as big of buck's in our unit's.

17. bowhunter73

bowhunter73 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Headed to Unit 12 in Colorado at the end of August I can't wait!