Comparable Packs to the Badlands 2800

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Camper1, Jun 30, 2012.

1. Camper1

Camper1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Current (6/10/12) Melbourne Australia, soon to be
    Hey all, ive just had over $2k worth of my gear stolen :sad: nevermind all character building

but i need to replace it slowly so im up for opinions to see if i can go better, first question is, is the a good (in your opinion better) pack than the badlands 2800?

It would be great to hear from people who have some experience with the pack, generally im a gear pig, i want a pack that is that size but has the ability to carry more, thanks

2. Antler Eater

Antler Eater Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am probably not the best candidate to answer but since you are not getting a response here is my two cents. I have a little experience with a Badlands pack but from my research here are three that I feel are better. Google Kuiu, or Mystery Ranch, or Kifaru. I believe any one of these three would be better if you are hauling heavy loads.

3. Camper1

Camper1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hi mate, thanks for your response its welcomed. I had a look at those brands when i first decided on purchasing that size pack and ended up going with the badlands 2800 (except the Mystery Ranch).

Ive gone back over their sites and had a look and i just cant see it. I mean, the badlands has an unparalled warranty that see's you having a pack for life. The zippers are turned the other way so they are mostly covered from mud and things that might get into them. The zippers are the quietest in the industry, the zipper tabs have a grip that allows you to get them open with gloves on in the cold and they dont make a sound, they can also be tucked away so they dont move once the zip is done up. The material is quiet and strong, it has a partial water repellant and they also have a complete full cover which pulls out of the top and goes over the entire pack in heavy rains. Its got a pull out gun stock and easy to get to external pockets, pockets on the hip holsters and a place for a handgun to be easily tucked away either side, not to mention is cheaper than most of those packs.

Sorry for speaking out loud, its just that the largest pocket can be shrunk significantly when all the other pockets are full which id wish theyd allowed more material for but it is an extended day pack so im probably being picky.

Its good to be challenged though, im still interested in maybe a brand that i havent compared it with and or any other info on comparable packs that people love, cheers Doz

4. bohica

bohica Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Im a big fan of food bag's, iv had a lot all for different purposes with my career in the military. Mystery Ranch makes outstanding bag's. Best iv used by no doubt, but they are vary vary vary expensive. Eberlestock makes some good bag's and the pricing is affordable and competitive. If you want a bag that doesn't necessarily have to carry a bow but just gear, check out blackhawk.com they make tactical military and LE gear. I got one of there assault bag's and is great for carrying gear. The one I have is od green but I know they come in different color's. Gregory makes some good hiking/camping/bag's so you may want to check them out as well. Kifaru was mentioned they are pricey but not to bad.

5. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm new to all this but I just bought the badlands 2200 but my other was the Tenzing, which I think make some really great bags also. Check them out. I also haven't heard Kuiu mentioned here.

Sorry to hear about your gear being lifted:(. May the culprits quickly maim themselves with you stolen gear:)

http://www.tenzingoutdoors.com/
    http://kuiu.com/

6. MechDoc

MechDoc Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry for your loss...Damn Thiefs. You can check out http://www.tenzingoutdoors.com/ their products have good reviews and the owner is a member on here.

7. rickmur

rickmur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  8. Antler Eater

Antler Eater Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    No worries mate!

What works for one person doesn't always work for someone else. I feel that the frame on the others adjusts better for heavier loads. No big deal.

Sorry about your gear being stolen..

9. Camper1

Camper1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    yes your right about that, we all have different needs, and regarding the frame you may indeed be right, thanks for the links it was great to take a look at them and compare, id never heard of mystery ranch so that was great, cheers Doz

10. Camper1

Camper1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the advice gents, i took a good look at the tenzing website and wow! they have by far the best website i have ever seen, extremely user friendly and they also have a very informative youtube channel which present their packs very well. If only other brands presented that good it would have saved me a considerable amount of time.

They have many of the features that i really like in a pack and many that are similar to the badlands range which is great.

I decided to purchase another Badlands 2800 at this stage as i really like the side by side and huge bottom pockets design with all the features similar to the tenzing packs, the warranty on the badlands is also a factor into my decision. Thanks again for all the advice, much appreciated Doz

11. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I have a couple different Badlands pack, and personally haven't found a pack yet that I like better.