Shooting an Elk straight on. Would you?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Afflicted, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I saw Curt Wells from Bowhunter TV shoot a nice Elk that was facing him straight on. I guess the elk piled up right after the shot and he went on about that being a good kill shot on an Elk.

Is that for real and would any of you take that shot? Everything I read says that's not a kill shot.

2. brucelanthier

brucelanthier Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would not take that shot on elk or deer but there seems to be some that would. I like to have a large margin for error and shots like that leave little room for mistakes.

3. bz_711

bz_711 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  4. Rutin

Rutin Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    NEVER would I take that shot! I had a solid 160 class buck id been chasing for 3 year at 30 yards with a hard quarter too and I wouldnt take it! I even have video of him from my camera as I sat in my tree 30 yards away waiting for the shot! All i got to do was film this deer until a dump truck scared him back in the corn and game over!

[​IMG]

5. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I tip my hat off to you bud, much respect. I haven't faced that type of buck in that position yet, but I pray I do the same thing as I refuse to risk that much on such an awesome creature.

6. Shoobee

Shoobee Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you are accurate enough to hit the heart, head on, then such a shot with archery would work.

Otherwise at best you would only be penetrating one out of five lobes of the animal's lungs, and therefore it could run away a long ways, before it finally succombed to death, similar to a gut shot.

A head-on or tail-on shot with a bow is something I would not take with a bow.

No problem with a rifle, as long as you aim for the heart. And do-able with archery if you can hit the heart. But the heart is a small target, smaller than a grapefruit, and it's not easy to hit.

I would rather wait until the animal is broadside or quartering, so I can get both lungs and at least 2 lobes at once with the shot.

7. Afflicted

Dislikes Received:
  8. Afflicted

Dislikes Received:

Wow. Spectacular Buck.

9. Chiro_Archer

Chiro_Archer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I remember that episode as well. I have never hunted Elk yet, but it is DEFINITELY on my to do list. I remember him commenting on that shot as well saying there are specific conditions to which you can ONLY take that kind of shot, I believe he said the elk has to be 15 yds or less from you, standing still,etc. Definitely not saying I would take that shot, I just remembered the episode once I read the post. I would be waiting for more of a broadside shot personally or a quartering away. But to each their own I suppose. I am still learning alot but I know that if I feel "iffy" about a shot I am not going to take it.

10. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Most guys on this site have the mentality of looking down at animals from a treestand. Elk hunting is different. On ground level a frontal shot for a large elk or moose provides as big an opening as most quartering/broadside shots on deer. That said, it would be a gametime decision for me, as I don't know if I would honestly take the shot or not

11. Shoobee

Shoobee Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Some things it is best to decide in advance, with visualization. Because in the heat of the moment it is going to be really hard to think straight.

12. Shoobee

Shoobee Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    At 15 yards I can hit a squirrel. So a heart shot would be a piece of cake that close.

13. Tyler86

Tyler86 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Elk have big hearts, a head on shot wouldnt be very negligent. Theres quite a bit of room for error, Ive seen it done and done it myself. If you think you can do it then just decide if youre willing to, thats the only real issue. I think taking a shot in some windy conditions would be more ethically questionable than a head on shot at an elk 20yds away or less.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

14. Chiro_Archer

Dislikes Received:
    This is true about the treestand hunting for me Shoobee, minus 3-D thats how I have learned to hunt so far. I am still young in this lifestyle for hunting so I am still learning alot,but I can't wait to be able to go out and stalk an Elk. That will be the trip of a lifetime for me, just listening to them bugle on shows sounds incredible.:rock:

15. Dogfish

Dogfish Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would without question up to 40yds after that i might not depending on shooting conditions ( wind )

16. ATbuckhunter

ATbuckhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Most people wouldn't take that shot on a whitetail with a bow let alone an elk. With my deer rifle i would take that shot all day but not with a bow.

17. ATbuckhunter

ATbuckhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Most people wouldn't take that shot on a whitetail let alone an elk with a bow. On the other hand with my deer rifle i would take that shot all day but not with a bow.

18. Afflicted

Dislikes Received:

Your right and he talked about the spot to aim for which was the center where the color change is.

I just thought it was gutsy for a TV show but I'm sure he felt it was a kill shot.

19. Afflicted

Dislikes Received:
    What is that straight on shot hitting? Heart. Lung. Spinal cord?

And if the elk is looking straight at you is he more apt to jump the string?

20. Chiro_Archer

Dislikes Received:
    Yea I remember him mentioning right where the color of the hide was changing, I am pretty sure he mentioned that is was a heart shot, but don't quote me on it. Definitely a gutsy move in my opinion for TV but he must have known what he is doing, or atleast hoped he did haha