Anybody else not interested in Rifle hunting?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Afflicted, Jun 28, 2012.

1. WiRutJunkie

WiRutJunkie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have slowly phased out my rifle hunting over the past few years. As others have stated it is more of an opening day family tradition rather than a serious hunting trip. Im have been fortunate enough to kill some nice bucks the last few years so that also takes some of the "pressure" of reverting to the rifle. I am going to Manitoba this fall for a rifle whitetail hunt though. The two main reasons that I am going rifle and not bow is lack of shot opportunities (abeit quality opportunities hopefully) and the fact there bow season coincides with mine in Wisco and frankly Ive got as good or better deer within my grasp here.

On another note though I think we have to tread lightly when discussing a topic like this. I feel that sometimes it can lead to a division in the ranks so to speak and gives fuel to the Anti's of the world. We have to remember we are all hunters and users of the resources and we must stick togethor. I have in the past found myself resenting gun hunters and I try to remember that they are just trying to enjoy the outdoors like myself. I know some would love to bow hunt but do not have the time it takes to put into it so they use a gun to up there odds in the time they do have.

Im done with my mini rant now!

2. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I get what your saying. I'm not hating on rifle hunters at all, at the end of the day we all hope we kill something. Rifle may even be more humane if we want to go that way. I was just saying I'd rather work harder for the kill, if that make any sense:)

3. wags1

wags1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I started bowhunting in 1969 .I used to do a lot of quail hunting back in the day, squirrels maybe 3 times a season. haven't owned a gun in possibly 35 years, haven't shot a gun in close to 20 years. do I have anything against firearms? ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!!! I just enjoy the experience of hunting anything with archery equiptment, simple as that!!

4. Bonedemik

Bonedemik Newb

Dislikes Received:
    love my bow ,no rush quite like it, but when gun season comes in my cva apex comes out

5. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Rifle season always starts early Nov in MN and I just continue to hunt with my bow.

6. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I love to hunt deer ... period ... there are parts to all seasons I enjoy .... killing ANY deer has gotten easy ..... now it's time to set out to limit the targets more ... no more yearling bucks for this guy ... I have killed enough of them and they are the easiest thing to kill for me ...

I have more land to hunt this year ... it should be fun :)

7. SouthDakotaHunter

SouthDakotaHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm pretty much bow only, just don't have much desire to rifle hunt anymore for deer, elk, antelope,etc... Do pick up a gun for things like pheasants, waterfowl, gophers, prairie dogs....

8. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Freakin compromiser... :bash::moose:

9. VA_Bowhunter

VA_Bowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I may occasionally rifle hunt, but it's usually no more than 2-3 days out of a season. I'm a diehard bow hunter. I used to be all about a .270 bolt action Savage rifle, but every since I've invested in the AR15 I don't think I'll ever use another gun. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love rifle shooting (I'm ex-military), but I'd rather hunt and shoot bows. I own tons of guns though. I have 4 deer rifles, an AR15, 2 shotguns and 6 handguns. My wife has an AR15, two rifles, 1 shotgun and 1 handgun, so we are pretty big on shooting guns, but we both prefer bow hunting.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  10. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I love all forms of hunting. I should probably say most.

I love grouse hunting with the spray shooter. I do love the gun deer tradition that Wisconsin has. I just love hunting.

11. SouthDakotaHunter

SouthDakotaHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You know though, I would like to try goose hunting with a bow sometime :-) Think if a guy put a brushed in blind with corn stalks on the edge of the landing zone in your deeks it would be very possible by letting them land and then just shooting them out of your blind like a turkey... Would have to be the right field/cover setup with birds that aren't too spooky and would still be tough, but would be fun trying!

12. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Hunsucker posted a video pf him and the HB boys hunting geese in a corn field .... they got a bunch! Missed a bunch too! Looked like a great time ....

13. sycamoretwitch

sycamoretwitch Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Some of us (me) haven't been bow hunting long enough to use a bow in all situations. For instance, I have been turkey hunting about 5 times in my life - this year I killed my first turkey with my Browning Maxus that was handed down to me by my grandfather when he passed away in September. I wanted to get a turkey kill with a gun before I tried it with a bow - I think this represents (what we all know) that it is no doubt easier to kill an animal with a gun than a bow. But if it wasn't for gun hunting I would have never been introduced to hunting in the first place, it's the only form of hunting I really ever knew as a kid growing up.

14. Illinoishunter102

Illinoishunter102 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Disagree with you. I understand that harvesting and animal with a stick & string may be more difficult vs. a firearm but that doesn't mean shooting one with a gun is a breeze... I know several guys who have gone years without harvesting a deer, let alone a mature one with a gun.

I do both types of hunting. I mean my dad and I invested in guns for that purpose, might as well use em.

15. Camper1

Camper1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Current (6/10/12) Melbourne Australia, soon to be
    I love guns and all sorts of weapons but it wouldnt be a contest in the choice of bow or rifle, id chose the bow. If its to continually fill the freezer then you do what is necessary if the bow doesnt suffice. I love the stealth of getting in close and taking the animal quietly. I dont like a big boom sound that scars everything off or tells everyone where you are, just that click of the limbs and cams and the quiet smack as the arrow finds its mark. The animal scarcely knows whats gone on only to lay down quietly and give up the ghost.

When i see pics, vids or trophies of animals taken with a rifle i always appreciate them more when someone has taken them with a bow. Have to agree with the OP.

16. JJD

JJD Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hunting in all forms can be challenging, it depends what personal limts & restrictions you place on yourself. I believe many folks grow in the sport, some never get past the filling of a tag being the total sport. It's why I've decided to take a crack at bow hunting, looking for a new challenge.

If it don't turn your crank, don't bother.

17. USarmyMP

USarmyMP Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Midwest Ohio and anywhere the army sends me.
    I only use a gun to hunt small game. Take the kids squirrel and rabbit hunting. And take my GSP out for some birds. Everything else is done with a bow. Period. Havent touched a gun in about 7 years to big game hunt.

18. Oklahoma99

Oklahoma99 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    After I took my first little buck with a bow, rifle hunting just seems too easy. It's not as fun to me.

19. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    X2. That's where I'm coming from.

20. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I am first and foremost, a bowhunter. I don't even think about picking up a rifle until the week before the annual rifle season here in PA. If I still have a buck tag, I'll shoot my gun a few times and head to the woods. But, I really only rifle hunt because its that time of year where family and friends get together at camp. It's just a lot of fun having everyone around. Usually, if I have a doe tag, I'll just take the gun for a walk, with no intentions on pulling the trigger, or better yet, take one of the kids and try to score their first buck or deer.

I do on not like to gun hunt anymore at all. But, I'm not an elitist and I don't look down on those that love it.