Treestands?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Dalton Karl, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Dalton Karl

Dalton Karl Newb

Dislikes Received:
    What does everyone swear on? Muddy? Lone Wolf? Gorilla? etc... , let me know what you use and what the Pros are of why you use it! Thanks

2. WiRutJunkie

WiRutJunkie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use either a Lone Wolf Alpha and Lone Wolf sticks or a Lone Wolf Sit n Climb 90% of the time. All Lone Wolf stands are super light, quiet and built in the USA. Honestly, when I am in one I feel a lot safer and solid than any other stand Ive ever used.

3. Southernboy

Southernboy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I picked the treewalker.

Love it.

Light, roomy, comfortable and solid.

SB

4. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not all Lone Wolf's are made in the United States. They were in China for a while and now are back. So if you want one thats made in the US look for a new model. I am going to buy a Lone Wolf this year. They cost a lot but I have heard nothing but good about them.

5. jsnole

jsnole Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Look at the Millennium stands as well. Solid and you can sit all day in one.

6. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I second the Millennium stands! They are amazing and light. Sooooo comfortable. All day sure are not a problem at all. You'll feel so comfortable and safe, you find yourself reach for the remote by habit a few times lol. And if you are looking for a climber, you can't beat summit. I don't like lone wolf myself. They are so small, I never feel safe and all day sits are not something I would do on that tiny seat. Millenniums are not cheap, but cheaper then lone wolf and in my opinion, better in every way.

7. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I agree 1000%. I bought my first Millenium M-100 Lock-On Stand a few months back and I love it. I have sat in it a few times already. Easy to hang, EXTREMELY COMFORTABLE and very quiet. If you buy one, you will love it.

8. OctaneRudi

OctaneRudi Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i use a lone wolf sit and climb whic i love 450$ and a ****s sporting goods ladder stand which is ok too 60$

9. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a couple of summit vipers, and some not even sure of the names hang ons. If the tree allows I love my summits.

But I really want to try some good lock ons soon.

10. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I buy so many for different leases that I basically look at price then comfort and so I'm always trying different ones. Comfort meaning comfortable seat, large platform with foot rest, maybe a back rest and even armrests if I can find one.

11. Rutin

Rutin Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    LW all day everyday but I do own two Mellinium hang ons for rut hunts when I know ill sit all day. Def the alot more comfortable than LW but no where in comparison to quality of build and quietness

12. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm currently getting a new Lone Wolf SC Wide setup for this fall. So far, I really like it. The only cons to the Lone Wolfs are the small platform size and expense. Everything else can modified to fit your needs.

I used several Summits through the years as well and can't complain at all about them. Light, sturdy and comfortable. The larger platform is a bonus as well.

13. dj-skyy

dj-skyy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    for an all day trip, i prefer my summit bushmaster (aka viper ultra) from cabelas....for a short morning/evening hunt of 3-5hrs, any of my cheaper biggame & rivers edge ladders/hangons will do....since they're already on the tree, less crap to carry anyways...

14. DVFD236

DVFD236 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Summit Titan. A little bulky and heavy but when your laid back with comfort it makes it worth the haul.

15. jsnole

jsnole Newb

Dislikes Received:
    This is the climber i have as well. Cant beat the room and comfort of a Summit Titan for a climber.

16. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well I'll be the odd man out, I went with a muddy stand. The larger one. I purchased it very late in the season and didn't use it to deer hunt since I wasn't an expert at setting it up.
    I did use it twice for coyote hunting. The pad on the seat it extremely comfortable.
    I also carried it while shed hunting just to get used to navigating woods. We went probably a mile and it was never too much to carry and I'm not in amazing shape.
    There are a couple oddites to them. They don't have shoulder straps, yet, I talked to them about this and they said theirs were junk so they quit offering them. They said later this year they would be complete on a new design for them. In the mean time I just got a cheap shoulder strap set off amazon.com.
    Also, you need an extra strap to hold the sticks to the stand. Actually works out because I just use it to hang my pack in the tree and I use the strap on the way in to hold my outerwear.

Lastly, the sticks are downright awesome. I like them A LOT better than the lone wolf. The pegs are on both sides and is much safer and easier in my opinion. Their rope system works fantastic also.

Also, their harness is great quality. It has a ton of options, is light and comfortable. It also has pegs to hold the sticks as you climb, therefore, if you're good, you only have to go up the tree once and not come back down.

For all my stands around the house I have a variety. These are typically el cheapos with ladder sticks. I'll take them down for a month or two just so the tree growing doesn't ruin them.

I have a climber but I really don't like it. I constantly feel like it's going to fall off the tree. Also, in the woods I hunt i found myself constantly hunting a tree instead of the deer.

Shop around. Take your time. Talk to the manufacturers. Muddy was at the deer expo here in Indy and after talking to one of their guys I learned a ton about setup, carrying and some tricks.
    Study the terrain you'll be hunting. Maybe a climber will work for you and you'll be comfortable. The millineum stands are a big hit and look awesome comfortable. I may look at one for my main home stand.

Good luck, let us know if you have any further questions.

17. Bonedemik

Bonedemik Newb

Dislikes Received:
    summit open shot , summit razor , sniper ladders , comfortable and stable

18. MechDoc

MechDoc Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    As far as climbers go I love my Equalizer. Their website is under construction but you can check it out this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mI1GAsNAHHs

I use mostly ladder stands now and any brand will do.

19. MassBow413

MassBow413 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    summit openshot pros:great movement and lightweight.

20. jeffacarp

jeffacarp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I own muddy's and big games. I prefer the Big game boss XL's just because they have a large and roomy platform for me (6'4'' and 260 pounds). They are cumbersome and heavy while hanging, but once the stand is set I love it. My wife prefers the muddy's because they have a more comfortable seat.