How often do you talk hunting?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by buckeye, May 14, 2012.

1. Oldcarp

Oldcarp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Im sort of lucky I guess. I have 4 boys and one Daughter. Three out of my four boys bow hunt. I also fish and duck hunt. Are Bow hunt ends in Sept. The duck hunt opens in Oct. So I get the best of both worlds. I do like to listen to all the stories and have been known to tell a few myself. I have learned the first liar dosnt have a chance:busted:

Most of the people I hang out with bow hunt or fish so it does come up a lot.

2. jmbuckhunter

jmbuckhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My favorites are the guys who say that they saw a 12 or 14 pointer running through the woods at 80 yards,

This stops a lot of my conversations as well. How the hell can you tell how many points a deer has running through the woods, or standing still at 300 yards for that matter?

3. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hunting talk is rare with me these days. Even talking archery on here and other forums is rare lately. There is only a few people I talk hunting with. One guy, archery and hunting is about all that comes up when we are talking. My brothers, well, I talk it with them here and there but, not often at all. Where I work, there is no one who hunts or shoots. They often ask me about it. I am a little more open about the archery aspect than the hunting.

4. Oldcarp

Oldcarp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If your in the timber that is tough. Here in the west we have a lot of open mountian sides. So a lot of our hunting is spot'n'stock. I guess what Im trying to say is we glass a lot. We do have stands by elk wallows. If a Buck or Bull is on the run its hard to judge what it would score :deer:

5. gri22ly

gri22ly Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I never talk hunting anymore. I find it real hard to find someone to talk hunting with, even on all the hunting forums, lol.

6. CrabClawDude

CrabClawDude Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thats all I know to talk about but I probably talk about it too much:(

7. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for saving me some typing,,,This goes for me as well!

8. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Not much. However, I finally started working a job where some of the guys actually hunt and don't think you are a barbarian if you hunt. I pretty much limit my talk of hunting to my family.

9. fatsbucknut

fatsbucknut Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I talk hunting to a decent amount of people just to hear what comes out of their mouths. Lots of bad info, ideas, ethics, etc. out there. I only talk serious hunting to one buddy and my dad.

10. D&T Outdoors

D&T Outdoors Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    24/7 I work in an Archery shop as a tech!

11. Shoobee

Shoobee Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hunting usually comes up at the archery range every time.

Hunting never comes up at work, nor do I bring it up.

I talk about archery at work, sure, since often after work I head straight to the archery range.

I tend to emphasize the classic history of archery however, and my college training from an Olympic coach.

I am also known at work for swordfencing, since sometimes after work I head to a swordfencing club.

So they view me at work as into the classics.

Whereas most of the rest of them lead boring lives, work, home, kids, pay bills, buy cars, etc.

12. HuntingBry

HuntingBry Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I talk hunting and bowhunting in particular with my close knit group of hunting buddies. We share stories and techniques and bounce ideas off of one another. Those are the only ones I share any great detail with. If someone I meet starts talking hunting with me I will listen and usually enjoy hearing what they have to say, but I don't share a whole lot. Maybe it's from being from PA where I don't trust a lot of other hunters. Usually while they are talking I can quickly tell if they are knowledgeable or as Scott put it a "moron." If they know what they are talking about I'll chat and enjoy the conversation and hope to pick up something I didn't know before. If they are the latter the will get a lot of forced smiles, head nods, and "hmms" as I look for a polite way out of the conversation.

I do enjoy talking hunting, but it does seem to be something reserved to doing with my closer friends.

13. chiefsfan58

chiefsfan58 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I talk about bowhunting alot myself. I got a new bow last year. I'm on a mission. If you can hunt it , I want to get one with the bow. I don't rifle hunt for deer though

14. PABuck_HNTR

PABuck_HNTR Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

Glad to help ...'Crick

15. LongIslandBowHunting

LongIslandBowHunting Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    talk about it when ever where ever, since its my favorite thing to do, and its all i wanna do i bring it up un most every convorsation

16. hornhunter

hornhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    365 day,s a year !!! Is there anything else to talk about ?

17. Camper1

Camper1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Current (6/10/12) Melbourne Australia, soon to be
    I talk bowhunting and gear a lot with my main hunting buddy who loves it as much as i do, otherwise i speak with my wife and close friends about it now and then.

I also speak a little about it to those ive introduced to the sport but who dont hunt atm, share my hunts, experiences and the meat as much as i can.

I also take opportunity to speak with others about it who dont know anything about the sport, or to correct wrong perceptions and missinformation. I see myself as a defender and advocate for the sport and take it as my duty to ensure the 'anti's' feel uncomfortable at educated and bold responses to their silly views. If that means a dinner is distrubed or someone gets heated so be it, but a fair hearing from both sides without extreme anti views attempting to intimidate people i dont often tolerate.

I dont talk whitetails as of yet as i have no idea about hunting them atm but would definately be someone who listens and asks a lot of questions of people in order to learn as much from them as possible.

If i was someone who was disseminating incorrect information it would be nice to have someone correct me rather than walk off and leave me believing it, but i do understand that most are too full of pride to receive correction so many would walk away rather than attempt to correct.