To tight nocks??

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Sticknstringarchery, May 24, 2012.

1. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My new arrows nocks are pretty tight and while shooting the other day I got to thinking these things may be too tight. When I nock one, it clicks really loud.

To me this doesn't seem conducive to accuracy, tuning and def not forgoes for the serving.

Is this or could this cause tuning issue such as not being able to get a consistent tear?
    Could it cause accuracy issues??

If so, what can I do to fix it??

2. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would say a tight nock is better than a loose one.... I don't believe you need to do anything.

3. Hoythews71

Hoythews71 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Randy Ulmer does a video segment on a website (cant remember what one), and he discussed the effect of excessive nock pinch. It can make individual arrows fly different than others, but I cant remember the reason behind how it affects the arrow. He just widened the gap until the nock made a soft "click" when going onto the string.

4. D&T Outdoors

D&T Outdoors Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  5. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I started a similar post a while ago and I agree. A few shows talk about it but never give a solution on how to fix it.
    I think bending, cutting or sanding the nocks by hand would not be very precise per nock.

I was thinking I'd take my set of drill bits and and work my way up though larger and larger diameters by snapping the nock onto the drill bits till I got to a size that spread the nock open to the proper size for my string. That being where the nock wasn't so tight it would grab and turn to string. Just thinking this would make sure each side of the nocks are spread open evenly.

6. JJD

JJD Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I recently purchased a second set of arrows (6) to save as hunting arrows only. They are of the same Brand and type, but the new set is 1/100 kg heavier than the older and have different nocks. The old set are amber in color and connects to the string with a loud, audible click, the newer set are white and much quieter. I was going to set up my Chronograph and see if there was any appreciable difference in speed. However, with point of impact and group size being the same with both arrow sets, my guess would be, the exercise would be a waste of time. If there was a decrease in speed, point of impact would change. If accuracy were affected, I'd see an appreciable increase in group size.
    I too am curious as to how it effects the life of the nocking point on the string.

7. JJD

JJD Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Interesting product. Would be fun to see if they effect accuracy at the level I am shooting at.

8. bushnlo

bushnlo Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had the same problem with all the carbon express noc's so I went to my pro shop and talk to a really awesome competition 3d shooter that worked there and told me to use Eastons 3d super noc's.They snap on light helping shoot tighter groups with way less fliers at 80 yards.

9. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would not driill out or file the nock. The nock is the only place that launches the arrow. It needs to be perfectly square to the string to shoot its best. If you can hang your bow from a nocked arrow, it is to tight. If that is the case I would get different nocks or reserve the string with thinner serving. I have noticed that after a few months of shooting if I replace my nocks my accuracy increases. They must change from going on/off the string and getting hit by other arrows. That is just my opinion. I am just a backyard archer. I am not an "expert" like alot of people on here....I have only been "gear junky" for about 15 years and shooting 37.

10. Sticknstringarchery

Dislikes Received:
    That makes you more of an expert than myself. I'm going to look into having it reserved. I'm not quite ready to do that myself yet.

11. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You want the nocks to click on. They should be tight going on but loosen up once on.

If this is not the case you need new nocks or the string needs to be reserved with a smaller or bigger serving to get the desired fit.

The noise is easily combated. Just place a finger on the back of the nock as you press it on the string.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

12. D&T Outdoors

Dislikes Received:
    Give accunocks a try I know they will help anyones accuracy at any level, They are the best nock I have shot, hunting and 3-D as well as indoor spots

13. Sticknstringarchery

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you Tfox. They are tight going on but don't loosen up. What do you think about the accunocks?? I just checked out their website and am pretty sure I will be giving them a try.

14. D&T Outdoors

Dislikes Received:
    I think you will like the accunocks, Just try them and I think you will be convinced, When I switched to them I was extremely happy and accuracy at long range was superb

15. JJD

JJD Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Tried the accunocks,
    Quest Primal
    Carbon Exp Maxima Hunter
    100 gr field points

Slightly less noise, noticed even though I wear bilateral hearing aids
    Group center, up 1/2 " @ 20 yds
    Group size, no change @ 20 yds

I like'em.

16. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I checked them out a couple years ago and seemed like overkill and alot going on at the most important area of accuracy.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2