Sitka Gear

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Justin Hushbeck, May 20, 2012.

1. Justin Hushbeck

Justin Hushbeck Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey I'm in the market for some new camo and I was wondering if you guys thought Sitka gear was worth the money for bowhunting in Missouri? Thanks.

2. Heartland Hunter

Heartland Hunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Yes I love mine.

3. jeffacarp

jeffacarp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've heard and read nothing but great reviews on all of sitka's offerings. I opted for the slightly cheaper under armour gear. However, someday when I do a serious pack hunt into some crazy terrain with variable weather conditions, Sitka gear is what I'll be investing in.

4. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Here's my opinion on the subject. I'll start of by saying that I own well over $1000 in Sitka gear, it's fantastic. If you never plan on hunting anything but WT in Missouri I would look elsewhere. You can stay warmer and spend a whole lot less. Sitka was originally designed with the "hardcore" western hunter in mind... Lightweight, tough, rugged, and multi-climate. Yes, they have a deer hunting line, but it is my personal feelings that it is unnecessary for treestand type hunting.

When you get out west you need extremely durable, articulate, and adaptable clothing.. Sitka delivers. In the stand, I prefer more of a fleece and wool variety, but I get cold easy.

If you were ever heading west for elk, antelope, mule deer, etc.. I would certainly invest in Sitka Gear, after all it's an investment, not a purchase. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it for the deer woods, I just feel money can be better spent.

5. Trevor Olson

Trevor Olson BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    I like the product but feel its not for me. There are other offerings out there now and layering systems for less money. Do I think they are better than Sitka, no, but I feel the product is a tad over priced. I may try True Timber's new layering linup now that they partnered with Lost Camo.

6. Justin Hushbeck

Dislikes Received:
    I can't decide between the new Real Tree Under Armor gear or Sitka Forest. I do plan on hunting out west for elk, mule deer, and antelope, because I'm from there, but I think I would be better off with the open country pattern for those types of hunts instead of the forest. Anyone have comments on Under Armor?

7. Backcountry

Dislikes Received:
    If you were to go with the Sitka I would get the Open Country pattern no matter. It works just fine in the trees and on the ground. I have a few pieces of Forest and quite honestly regret buying them. Not a fan of that pattern., just too dark for most applications.

8. Ruff

Ruff Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Predator Camo is coming out with a new line to compete with Sitka. Don't know any more than that or if it will be available by late summer. But love their camo.

9. Justin Hushbeck

Dislikes Received:
    I don't have a lease or anything because I'm just in college so I'll have to do public land for a bit until I can find another place, so I'm not sure how the light or dark the canopy would be for where I'm hunting. I am a big fan of the look and feel of Sitka though. I'll give the Predator Camo a look too, Thanks.

10. Backcountry

Dislikes Received:
    Never been picked off in my open country in dark swampy draws with elk and in darker ponderosa trees with deer. The forest pattern just ends up in to many dark blobs. The open country does a great job of breaking up your outline regardless of your backdrop color.

11. Justin Hushbeck

Dislikes Received:
    Alright, I'll keep that in mind.

12. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Great patterns, I have both Forrest and the open country. The quality is top notch yet its a bit pricey...that said don't pay full price. With some searching on line you can find most of it on sale...I have about 10 articles of clothing and two packs...great stuff

13. Antler Eater

Antler Eater Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a number of different Sitka gear products. I do think it is better suited for out west, however I think it is WAY over priced for what you get. I was also surprised to see the "made in China" tag on it after spending all that money for it. I wouldn't pay full retail price for it.

14. Justin Hushbeck

Dislikes Received:
    Ya I'm starting to think that I could spend the extra money that I'd be spending for pricey Sitka gear on a stand and other stuff and get a cheaper alternative like under armor.

15. jeffacarp

jeffacarp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That sounds interesting! I've been wanting to try some of there stuff

16. elkhuntinut

elkhuntinut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I own and have many pieces of Sitka Gear...but be sure to check out Kuiu as well...

I picked up some Kuiu last year and absolutley love it. For the layering, rain gear, and packable gear my choice is Kuiu. For the heavier garments Sitka will be the choice.

17. Justin Hushbeck

Dislikes Received:
    Idk if I could bring myself to buy KUIU. My dad tells me how great it is, but it isn't really for me and the hunting I plan to do....plus I'd feel ridiculous in that pattern haha.