One More Female Archer Hooked For Life!!!

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by caddis74354, May 20, 2012.

1. caddis74354

caddis74354 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My wife Samantha, no make up, hair in pigtails, all business.

PSE Silverhawk, apex gear nano quiver, apex gear "bone collector" 4 pin UV lighted sights, limbsaver stabilizer coil, tru-fire hot pink release, and carbon express le' mystique arrows with hot pink fletching... If she doesn't kill anything this fall at least she's gonna look good.

Attached Files:

2. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That's awesome! Love seeing women and kids getting into the sport! Draw looks a tad long!

3. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's awesome!! My wife is involved as well. Not as much as me but it's fun.

Now you think she loves it at this point, wait till she shoots a bow that is set up just for her. Got to start them somewhere though. Mine started with a 1991 Bear Black Panther. Then a Bear Buckmaster BTR we had custom strings made for. Actually did that for both. Now she is having a BowTech Heartbreaker set up and will be shooting 3D some this season and next season. She's not much of a hunter though. That's ok with me.

Enjoy every second of it man!!

4. JJD

JJD Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Fun to share outdoor stuff with our wives, if nothing else, it helps'em understand where all those $$ go. :-)

5. Dogfish

Dogfish Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome. Glad someone is having luck getting thier wife into the sport. I still get the evil eye every time i mention the word bow. :argue:

6. The Amatuer

The Amatuer Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Some women wonder are we really in a treestand for hours on end. I read where a guy had that problem. He took his wife hunting and after two hours of peace and quiet she climb down from the stand and demanded that he take her home.

Problem solved.

With women that hunt just as hard as her Husband or boyfriend. We have to wonder will bag a 12 pt. buck while he'll bring in a 10 pointer.

Way ta go Samantha!! :tu::tu: Bravo Zulu!

7. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    X2 Love it!

8. caddis74354

Dislikes Received:
    This bow is a youth bow, the draw is set at 27". I measured her 2x and i'm pretty sure it's spot on and she says it's comfortable. She started out with a 35# weight and over the past few weeks has worked her way up to the full 55#, so proud of her. We are having problems with her arrows wiggling and going in at an angle. Any advice? I've watched her form and other than occasionally murdering the bow grip she seems to have it down.

9. Sticknstringarchery

Dislikes Received:
    Caddis, I'm not trying to start any sort of argument or debate here i promise. Ive had enough of that in the past on here but, I see a few things wrong that tells me the draw is at least an inch too long.

1. The nock should be about even with the center of her eye ball. It looks to be past the back of her eye brow.

2. She is leaned back and should be standing straight up.

3. Her arm looks to be pretty straight. Should have a slight bend.

4. The string is hitting behind her nose on her cheek. Should be close to if not on the tip of her nose.

Just curious as to how you measure her draw length??

Guys help me out and correct me if I am wrong on any of this.

10. jfergus7

Dislikes Received:
    Agree with all of that. Hard to be positive from just one picture but based on what I see I totally agree!

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

11. OHbowhntr

OHbowhntr Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Agreed as well, the elbow looks LOCKED out, and she's definitely appearing to lean back a little, and the string appears a bit further back towards her ear than would really be comfortable... Drop an inch maybe and inch-and-a-half, and it would improve her comfort shooting, and probably help her become more accurate as well.

Take it as advice, not criticism, it works much better. :tu:

12. BigStick

BigStick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yep, me too.

13. Dogfish

Dogfish Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Her leaning back like that more then likely means that her draw is too long. I disagree with the slight bend in the arm comment. Your arm should be straight.

14. caddis74354

Dislikes Received:
    Ha! I'm not going to be offended at all. I promise I will NEVER pretend to know what i'm talking about. I measured her finger to finger it was 67.5 and divided by 2.5 because my archery shop told me to. If there's a new or better way I'd love to know. So the wobbling of the arrows is caused by the placement of the nock? After talking to her about it she says her form was so stiff because I told her to hold still while I was taking the picture. lol. The first time I shot a bow was last year and everything I do I learned myself or what I've read on forums. I'm always grateful for pointers and criticism unless it's not constructive, like if I weren't so bald i'd shoot better! lol.

15. jfergus7

Dislikes Received:
    How is that not constructive? LOL. Pretty sure InDaWalmart and Dawg use that excuse all the time!

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

16. Sticknstringarchery

Dislikes Received:
    The measure wing span and divide by 2.5 is to get you in the ballpark. The best way is to measure with a draw length measuring tool. It looks like a recurve that has an arrow permanently attached and on the arrow has a measuring tape scribes in it. I thought my wife was a 28" and couldn't shoot the BowTech Heartbreaker. Well we measured her after checking out a couple pics of her at full draw and sure enough, 26". I did the wingspan thing too. Thing is she has long fingers (can kill a piano) which causes a false measurement.

I am somewhat concerned that is how they suggested to get the exact measurement and didn't suggest using the tool to get the exact measurement.

17. AntlerAddict

AntlerAddict BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    That's great!

18. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome!

Her form looks a little off but my form is absolutely horrible and I still kill piles of critters.... no deer dies just because you have great form. ;) (granted, it's something you should strive for)

As for wiggly arrows. I'm not familiar with her arrows or the spine. If she's using the same arrows from 35lbs to 55lbs, the spine is probably off. Or it could be the rest. (rest making bad contact or directionally off) Or hand torque... Or all three. I'd check with arrow spine first. I like slightly over-spined arrows rather than under-spined.

19. sharpbroadheads

sharpbroadheads Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome! Being with my fiance for her first deer was the best experience of my hunting career

20. OHbowhntr

OHbowhntr Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Opinions may vary, but nearly every archery instructor you'll ever encounter will tell you you're wrong. HOWEVER, with the right grip (a medium-high to high wrist grip) you can lock or almost lock your elbow out, and actually get pretty consistent shooting. But for beginning archers a slight bend is recommended.