Best binoculars for $500 or less

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by TJF, May 11, 2012.

1. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am currently using a 10x42 Nikon Monarch. They have had a few years of alot of hard use and are starting to show it. From deerhunting, shedhunting to scouting... I use them all year long. I need the best binoc I can get for $500.

What is it ???

Tim

2. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Oh and it has to be 10 x 42 or bigger. It is open here and I need to see far !!

Tim

3. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    They are $100 more, but I was simply blown away when I looked through a set of Vortex Viper HD 10x42! I honestly could not tell a difference between these and Swaros, they are amazing.

I can't justify that much for binos with the rate I use them. I use a set of the 8x50 Vortex Vultures which are amazing, especially for the money...but they don't hold a candle to the Vipers when it comes to clarity.

4. santibowhunter

santibowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The new nikon pro staff 7 are very good and also affordable I recommend them strongly

5. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Red fields for about $180.

6. gummy034

gummy034 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Last edited: May 11, 2012
  7. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ask Justin what he has, his rocked

8. SouthDakotaHunter

SouthDakotaHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've been using Alpen's for years... They have really taken a beating and still work/look fantastic... They have a great warranty too... "No Fault, No Problem Lifetme Warranty - No questions asked, no problem - no store receipt required".

These are a little bit better than mine (but still only $350 at Amazon). The ones I got still looked better than glass that cost over twice as much - IMO...

http://www.amazon.com/Alpen-Wings-Glass-Prism-Binocular/dp/B00233U74Q/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_5

9. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Vortex Talon HD in 10X42 or spend a little more and get the Vortex Viper HD.

10. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I totally agree. I just ordered a pair. They are AMAZING!!

11. Themsah

Themsah Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Leupold Acadia $200.. cant beat em.

12. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The problem with these threads, is that no one is subjective and thinks that whatever they bought is the best. I can't justify expensive glass for my uses, but to suggest any of the <$300 binos in the same breath as the higher end models indicates one of two things: You are biased (rightfully so spending your hard earned money) or you have never looked through more expensive glass. The difference is amazing, and if I ever used binos enough I may make the splurge. For now my Vultures will do just fine, but I'm certainly not naive enough to think they are the best out there.

13. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Spot on. A $200 pair of bino's can't even begin to hold a candle to a $500 pair... If you are set on a budget ($500) spend that, and some more. That being said... Vortex Talon HD's or the Viper HD's. Hands down the absolute BEST warranty in the industry and some incredible glass.

14. brucelanthier

brucelanthier Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  15. Themsah

Themsah Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Tembry makes a good point here. "The Best" doesnt always mean "the ones you own". I think the best test of optics, is low light situations. Just about any bino will do the trick on a sunny day, but how do they perform at dusk? I suggested the Acadia's which I do not personally own but have used extensively because my hunting buddy has a pair,they out perform my way more expensive nikon's in low light. THey are almost like having night vision.

16. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This may be true in general but there are exceptions to every rule.

I know back when I was traveling shooting tournaments that I had two guys I traveled with. One was sponsored by Nikon and the other was sponsored by Optilogic. My friends $350 pair of Optilogics were BY FAR better than the $1000 Nikons at bringing out the lines on 3-d targets in all lighting conditions.

This has been a few years and that is not comparing what they would do at a 1000 yards spotting game. But you can't just make a blanket statement that just because mine cost more they have to be better.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

17. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I agree, I was more talking within a brand. As you climb the price ladder there is a discernible difference between models for sure.

I'm just not a Nikon fan to begin with so your story brings me joy and no surprise! Lmao

18. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I like the cheap nikons. Atleast for the price point. I have a pair of $100 nikons that are great to beat around but no where as nice as the top end stuff out there.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

19. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good glass is expensive. There is absolutely no way around it. I have a pair of Leupold Gold Ring Glasses that I absolutely love and work well for me. They were "expensive", at least to me in the 450 range. Now, I have an uncle who has a pair of the high end Swarovski's and those things blow my Leupold's away. The difference? The quality of the glass and coatings on them mostly.

Regardless of brand, buy the best you can afford. I used to use cheap glasses years ago and decided on year I was going to buy a higher end pair, in my price range. I was astonished how much clearer they were, especially in low light and how much easier they were on my eyes after using them all day. I also found that I used them more while in the field.

20. Trevor Olson

Trevor Olson BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    I have used Vortex Optics for several years. For the money they cant be beat in my opinion. I have the Diamondback 10x42s and the Viper 10x42s and I love them both! If you dont mind the weight but want the upgraded glass, the Talon HD's are a tough pair of binos! Vortex Stands behind their products and I stand behind them.