SoyBeans

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by shawnuk2k, May 3, 2012.

1. shawnuk2k

shawnuk2k Newb

Dislikes Received:
    so i have this nice plot, disc up and already have soybeans germinating, is it to late to possibly mix another seed to he make it a beneficial plot and help with over grazing?

file:///C:/Users/Shawn/Downloads/Foodplot.jpglp

2. shawnuk2k

shawnuk2k Newb

Dislikes Received:
    here is the site of the soy beans

Attached Files:

3. PCOutfitters

PCOutfitters Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well that depends on what you want to plant I guess. Biologic offers a good variety of food plot additives that are pretty much a throw and go type of seed that are made as plot enhancers, pretty much what you're looking for if I understood your post correctly! I'm planning to add their brassica additive to one of my plots later this summer actually.

Here's a link to their additive seed options http://www.plantbiologic.com/searchadv.aspx?SearchTerm=additive

If you're looking to plant now I would suggest either the Chicory or Alfa Clover blend. Just check the forecast for rain, spread the seed on top of the soil the day before, and you should be set!

4. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm thinking it would have to be something taller than the soybeans and that would grow faster, because once the soybeans canopy, I think you would have a hard time getting anything to establish.

5. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Hmm...buckwheat grows fast but would eventually be overtaken by the soybeans...and only good feed in summer and into very early fall.....if you think the soys will be destroyed you could try getting peas or oats going but it may be too late. Perhaps not...but I'll be honest what could it hurt to try? <--Unless we're talking a lot of acres.

6. shawnuk2k

shawnuk2k Newb

Dislikes Received:
    well, i have went and sprayed another 15 acres, preparring to plant more soybeans, my 2 acre plot is at the 2 leaf stage, coming up great on a broadcast method out of a seeder. im still wondering if i want/need to put anything with my beans. but i may just let them stand until brown , then go over before season and plant my clover/rape/ winter peas. so i guess its just trial and error now. lol. im so excited to see the response on the soy beans, i have and electric fence handy if things get out of control on grazing

7. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Is this the 2 acre plot? What are the dimensions on it? From the picture, it looks like a 1/2 acre plot at most.

I only ask because I notice a lot of guys guessing at how big their plots are and they are usually a lot smaller then they think. Not saying you did that, its just an observation I have made.

8. Treehopper

Treehopper Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think 2 acres will make it to fall. Deer will eat it up.

9. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

Yeah I agree. Take your Length in feet X Width in feet and divide by 43,560 to calculate acres.

For example a 100 yard x 100 yard food plot (300'x300') is just over 2 acres. Think about a football field square. 2 acres may be bigger than you think.

Last edited: May 9, 2012
  10. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    That is correct Brad. Also, one acre is 208'x208'.

11. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I hope I am correct because it's what I do for a living. ;)

12. shawnuk2k

shawnuk2k Newb

Dislikes Received:
    yea, its a little over an acre, so we have discussed electric fence until well established, its on a 40 acre farm, that we will be making other plots with soybeans, corn is grown about 10 miles from us, so im hoping the beans will be ok. if not, guess we can re-disk and put out some white clover mixed with other stuff

13. Illinoishunter102

Illinoishunter102 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    10 miles is a good distance. I wouldnt rely on the deer feeding on the corn 10 miles away. If the deer find your soybeans, they will tear it up.
    I myself an planting two micro plots that both total about a quarter of an acre. Yeah, they're tiny but im surrounding both with a plot protector tape, and not to mention both plots are surrounded by lush alfalfa and clover fields all around me.