What is the biggest buck you've ever let walk?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by OKbowhunter, Mar 4, 2010.

1. bigbuckdown

bigbuckdown Guest

i was in the stand and doing some rattling when this big bodied 9 pointer upper 150's came strolling in and turned broadside about 35yrds away on a little ridge and i didnt let the arrow fly b/c of the wind and he looked about 2 or 3 yrs old a 12 yr old boy shot him when rifle season came in and it broke my heart i'm still sick about it

2. bigbuckdown

bigbuckdown Guest

he looks delicious

3. slick814

slick814 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    never have let a buck walk while bow hunting.... but then again, never seen a buck while bowhunting, so I don't know if I could do it regardless of size.

4. hillrunner

hillrunner Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have the rack off one that was found dead. I took video of that buck while gun hunting that season.I didn't realize it when I was taping him but he was badly wounded. He scores 137. Thats probably about the biggest I've let walk.

5. Treehopper

Treehopper Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    About 6 years ago let a 150 ish 10 walk. No mass at all but great tine length . I thought it was a young deer with a TON of potential. Never ever saw him again after that.

6. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Basket 8 point.

7. madkins

madkins Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    2 year old 8 pointer. I got his girl.

Sent from my iPhone

8. Meathunter

Meathunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I let a 4 pt walk once

9. SouthDakotaHunter

SouthDakotaHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Early into some trips on out of state hunts I've passed a few in the high 130's.... But a deer like that in my home stomping grounds is getting an arrow every time....

10. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've let a alot of 130's walk. A few 140-150s. 1 150+ animal that had a busted G2.

11. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I let a 120's buck walk several years back because he was just outside of my "comfortable" shooting range.(About 55yds uphill). His rack was not impressive, but he had the Biggest body I have ever seen on a buck in the Southeast. Easily 250lbs on the hoof. He had a black looking coat and his belly was almost dragging the ground. I am guessing he was 7-8 years old. My Dad jumped him on the way back to the truck. Hunts me to this day I didn't take the shot. But, I don't want to wound a deer and not recover him. I NEVER saw him again!

12. wags1

wags1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    153" 10 point years ago. at that time you were only allowed one buck and i was hunting an 8 point that i had seen the day before out of the same stand. 10 pt. walked by me twice that morning following a doe. long story short,10 pt. killed during shotgun season that year. i never saw that 8 again that year, but got lucky the following year on him. he grossed 161 and netted157 6/8.

13. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    High 120" main frame eight with split brow tines, I think he was a 2-1/2 year old, as far as I know hes still alive and would love to send an arrow his way this season!

14. rizzo999

rizzo999 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I passed on the one (first pic with the crooked tine on the left side) below opening day of WI 2011 bow season at last light 'cause i thought it was a doe that had just entered the thicket I was on the edge of all evening. Never saw him again :sad:

The "hoss" buck I bumped TWICE walking to my stand after work. I finally figured out where he beds and he was never to be seen again by me. A hunter on the bordering land took a "nice" buck, but I never heard how big or saw any pics. I'm assuming it was him 'cause I never got another pic of him. Of course, every single pic I had of him was during the nighttime anyways. :violin:

MDGC0613.jpg MDGC0503.jpg

15. jackflap

jackflap Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    He was at least 165" the day "I let him walk" because the shot opportunity was marginal. When I ultimately killed him later in the season, he scored 131", LOL.

16. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I let a 145-150" buck walk by this past season at 10 yards, I sat there and looked at him for 20 minutes. I had just shot a doe not a minute before, I sat down and heard him grunting his way up the draw. He wandered around smelling where the doe had left a blood trail, and smelling the arrow (with the green Nockturnal still glowing right before dark).

17. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I passed a lower 150's 3 1/2 year old buck I named the Split Brow Buck. Knew he was going to blow up into an awesome buck. Here is a pic of him at 4 1/2. I did not see him last year :(

[​IMG]

18. ILLUSION HUNTER

ILLUSION HUNTER Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I let a 6 pointer go by once early in season. Where I live it is rare to even see an 8 pointer I have only shot 2 one in my profile so anything bigger than a 6 gets an arrow :)

19. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    120's twice last year. One in Wyoming at 20 yds because it wasn't quite light enough and another in Kansas because I had just seen a 160 class deer 20 minutes before.

20. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It sure makes you wonder where the hell he went?! Since 2007 there's been 2 bucks I never did get to see the next year that I saw the previous year. It bothers the heck out of me on what happened with these 2 bucks.