The Great Crossbow Debate

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Bowhunting.com Staff, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Keep in mind that their ability to sell tags and makes money is what solidifies our abilities to hunt. Tag sales drop, money stops flowing, and all of a sudden we're in trouble. The more money we put into the pocket of the government, and the multi-billion dollar hunting industry, the more we are protected.

2. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Justin, very reasonable responses and well thought out. I agree.

Bruce, you've picked on me before and you're doing it again. What are you, the BH.com playground bully? ;)

3. brucelanthier

brucelanthier Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    More importantly, they have to manage the animal population. If they are trying to sell more tags it is likely that enough deer are not being killed to keep the carrying capacity where it should be. Here in MD we keep losong hunters and the deer multiply like crazy. This season I get unlimited doe tags, an increase from 36, but it doesn't cost me a dime more. They really don't need to sell more tags to make more money, just raise the price of the hunting licenses and tags.

4. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I have noticed a trend with the debates on crossbows, both on here and off of here. Those that are against allowing crossbows use the words "I" and "Me" a lot. Those that are for allowing them use the terms "We" and "Our." It's pretty telling.

5. Meathunter

Meathunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

As long as a hunter is enjoying themselve and furthering the sport through conservation and common sense, I don't care what the shoot.

6. UPbowhunter

UPbowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Stating your opinion in a civilized manner isnt attacking fellow hunters. If you write an article on a debatable subject dont expect to not have people state their opinion. Thats not picking on the writer, or fellow hunters. If you write for feild and stream only a few people will send in a letter, on a website everyone will comment one way or another.

7. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    For those that want X-bows to have their own season....... what if they want Nov. 4th through Nov. 13th to be their season?

Personally, I like the current Wis. stand on X-bows....... old or injured only.

8. muzzyman88

Dislikes Received:
    I think the best comment on this so far, for me at least was by Justin.

"If it gets kids out in the woods hunting and not playing video games or getting in trouble, then its a good thing".

So here's a question. This is not related to the current conversation topic on the xbow debate.

If a guy kills a record book buck with an xbow during archery season, should that be listed as an archery record or a separate xbow record? Just curious on the responses.

9. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    SCI has the only fair and modern scoring system. They have categories for Rifle, Muzzleloader, Handgun, Bow/Arrow and Crossbows. P&Y is outdated.....SCI rules.

Here is the Typical Whitetail Records for the Midwest.

http://member.scifirstforhunters.org/members/RB/view_topten.cfm?specID=M98

10. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Bruce, to say MANY compound bow users don't mind shots of 75+ yards seems like a gross exageration to me

11. muzzyman88

Dislikes Received:
    Yep, I totally agree with the SCI rules being better. But, if you're going by the SCI rules, Bow/Arrow and Crossbow are separate. Why? Aren't they both "archery" by modern standards? I believe the point of the original article in this post is that crossbows should be allowed and considered archery equipment. Not being argumentative, just trying to inform myself and stir lively conversation here.

12. brucelanthier

Dislikes Received:
    It may be but, from what I have seen on these and other forums, it is only a vocal minority that disdains those shots. Many others say "If they are comfortable with the shot who are we to say it is not a good shot".

13. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would also prefer crossbows only be legal for indviduals that are disabled during Archery season. I am not opposed to them being used by anyone during rifle season. It favors my agenda. No other reason than that...

14. brucelanthier

Dislikes Received:
    Rifle, handguns and ML's are firearms. If they wanted to lump everything together then,as you are implying, they should just have and archery and firearms records. But, really, perhaps they just want to recognize records for different weapons. It could be just that simple.

15. dukemichaels

dukemichaels Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    SCI is no Buckmasters.. now there's an honest organization..

While SCI drools.. Buckmasters rules.

16. SouthDakotaHunter

SouthDakotaHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I almost spit out my Dt. Dew all over my laptop....
    [​IMG]

17. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I know nothing about Buckmasters. What surprises me is SCI excepts animals shot from fences. Kind of a liberal organization if you ask me. But they (SCI) helps fight for our rights as hunters and I thank them for that. But so does P&Y and all of these other hunting organizations people tend to rip on.

18. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    What you, and anyone else, fails to mention about SCI accepting Estate kills is that they have their own separate record books for Free Range and Estate. You make it sound like they're recorded together. Not to mention, it's still legal to hunt high fence.

P&Y is outdated and out of touch with modern bowhunters. SCI fights for rights of all hunters while P&Y is busy alienating today's hunters by putting an asterisk next to their name because their bow had more than 65% letoff and spending money trying to keep other hunters out of the field, ie crossbow hunters.

I'll admit too, I don't know much about Buckmasters.

19. ultramax

ultramax Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    :jaw: The good news is the Government is so good at getting there pockets stuffed.

20. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received: