crossbows legal in IL...

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by rknierim, Apr 16, 2012.

1. rknierim

rknierim Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Justin for bringing some actual 'stats' to this thread. It helps for people to be informed BEFORE they make a decision, but can help to change minds with proper information afterward too. Thanks for all the responses folks :)

2. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
  3. 220

220 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well said Justin. And you're right. I'm less concerned with "anti's" than I am the constant bickering amongst our own ranks. In my opinion the biggest threat to the lifestyle we all love is ourselves. Arguing over who should hunt with what, and when ... rather than concerning ourselves with how best to promote new hunters into our ranks will do more harm to the hunting lifestyle than allowing folks to enter the woods with a crossbow rather than a compound/traditional rig! With video games and numerous other "distractions" competing for the time and preferences of kids these days, I'd personally prefer to see actions taken to increase the opportunities for youth to be in the field moreso than continue to limit those opportunities.

I will use a personal example of where I believe legalizing crossbows would help in that manner. Here in IL, a kid has between 3-13 days per year to deer hunt. Between a 3-day early youth gun season, 7 days for general gun season, and a later 3-day muzzleloader season—that's the best a kid here can hope for each year for getting their chance in the deer woods. Consider a 3+ month span those same kids could be in the woods if they were able to take part in archery season. Now consider how many 10-12/13-year old kids quite possibly cannot draw a 40# bow. One of my little sister's started hunting three years ago. She got to deer hunt a total of 6 days/year during that time. She enjoyed those 6 days, but openly wished she could spend more time deer hunting. She simply cannot draw a 40# bow, so she's limited to gun only!

Would it not be worth allowing someone like my sister the opportunity to get in the field more by being able to utilize a crossbow, rather than risk she loses the desire to hunt overall ... simply because she's limited to how many days she can spend deer hunting due to limitations on what choice of weapon she can use ... ?

My Dad has used a crossbow for over 20 years due to a disability. The same little sister that cannot yet draw a 40# compound can accurately shoot my Dad's crossbow. But, for 3 years now, she's had no opportunity to take advantage of more time in the field chasing deer only because she's too weak to meet the draw weight requirements to bow hunt. Personally, I'd much rather see her spending her weekends in the Fall during archery season chasing deer with a crossbow than risk losing her simply due to finding other interests that are more "inviting".

Again, well said. It's less about the weapon in hand than the mindset, standards and personal accountability set for and by the individual behind it!

I will NOT, ha!

4. rknierim

Dislikes Received:
    Yesterday was scheduled for first reading. Website listed Sponsor. Today it says 'Sponsor Removed'. Anybody have any idea what that means? Does that mean the sponsor changed her mind and took it out of action?

5. CILhunter

CILhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It's a stall tactic. The sponser doesn't think they have the support (or the Senate President doesn't want it to come up yet), so they keep it from moveing forward until the "right time"

I'm personally conflicted about this. I have a daughter who likes to gun hunt with me, and would like to bow hunt, but she can't draw 40# yet (per regs).

6. rknierim

Dislikes Received:
    Today it has a new Sponsor listed and has been referred to Assignments. I'm hoping thats a good thing, but don't really know how all that crap works