FPS vs. Weight

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by indynotch50, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Antler Eater

Antler Eater Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Slightly over 500 grain arrow going in the neighborhood of 270 fps out of a BowTech Invasion CPX. Shot placement wins out everytime in the contest of light vs heavy but my experience has been a heavier arrow gives me an advantage in a number of areas if conditions or the shot aren't perfect.

2. Bill2311

Bill2311 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Insanity- 29 1/2"@ 72#
    485 grain arrow- 300 fps
    375 grain arrow - 335 fps.

Will be using the heavier FMJ for hunting again next year.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  3. rcowan

rcowan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey Indy
    I don't understand part of the question.
    Why would it not be safe?

Bear in mind that I am new to this sport. :bash:

RC

4. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    No worries. I was more refferring to safety of the animal. At 262 the arrow will be in the air for quite a while, especially at 40 yards. So if it moves at all it could move out of the kill zone. Also, will the arrow have enough velocity to penetrate. I get momentum, but there is still a velocity portion to that, half the equation as a matter of fact.

5. OKhunter

OKhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    262 fps vs 300 fps at 40 yards will be a second difference in flight time. Also a 400+ grain arrow at 262 will put the smack down on a deer at 40 yards and it would have a straighter flight line than the lighter arrow would . If you ask me the heavier arrow would be a safer arrow to shoot at 40 yards appose to the lighter arrow if hitting the kill zone is your worry. I was also one of those to choose speed and lighter arrow over a heavier arrow. I just recently made the switch to a Easton axis 340's over the 400's I was using. I went from a 345 grain arrow at 307 fps to a 386 grain arrow at 293 fps. I get an avg of 3" more penetration with the 400's and not even a blink of an eye difference in speed.