Have you ever met a home schooled kid that wasn't weird?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Hooker, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    A couple of the dairy farmers I pick milk up at home school their kids to a certain age and then they go to regular school from there on out. Definitely In the one family these kids have some Issues with communicating with me some but as they got older they got much better. The other family they communicate just fine.

2. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Vito, where did you learn your paper grading skills? I am guessing at home. :wave:

3. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I was NOT homeschooled and I am weird and have an outstanding sword collection. Myth debunked.

4. Nate/FL

Nate/FL Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    To answer your original question, yes I do know lots of homeschoolers who are not weird. My church has a bunch of familys that homeschool and they co-op together and have classes outside the home and some take one or two classes at the local high school. They are very accute socially, polite, and are a lot of fun to be around. I hunt with a few of these families also. Now granted there are a few of these kids who are a stereotypical, but for the most part they are very normal. I think going to classes with other kids helps the social aspect of it. If you are cooped up in your house all day every day living a sheltered life and learning what your parents want you to learn then yes you will be weird. But if you get out and interact with other kids your age and do fun things then you'll start to break the stereotype.

5. austin97

austin97 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    thats what i do co-op.

6. davidmil

davidmil Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm thinking..... half the members of this board are home schooled. That proves the weird theory.

7. JerseyHunter95

JerseyHunter95 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    cmon vito, that aint nice lol. noone uses correct grammar on internet forums

8. rangerj

rangerj Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I only know two kids that were homeschooled,they are my wifes cousins. They were schooled by their mother who is "Dumb" as a hoe handle and so are the kids.I don't know how she gets by the state mandate for testing etc.It is very sad.

9. b0nec0llect0r

b0nec0llect0r Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Come to think of it, my sister-in-law is currently home schooled right now and she's farther from normal than the earth is from the sun.

My two cousins were home schooled, one of them turned out to be kind of normal. His wife is home schooled and she is kind of normal, but I do believe they'd been better off in a public school population.

10. in da woods

in da woods Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Okay, I gotta weigh in on this one. We have family friends whose kids are home schooled. All are perfectly normal with the exception that they where attending college at ages 16/17. Extremely smart, everyone of them. As for social skills, nothing wrong on that end. The teenage boys are the ones all the girls run too, and one hunts with his dad. So starting out a thread with a statement of are all home schooled are weird would be the same as all people who have seen hunting violators representing all of the hunters here. Ignorant to lump all into one group. What do you consider normal? The kind of stuff that goes on in the public school system?

11. davidmil

davidmil Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    ... and Vito... that makes me spit coffee all over my computer everytime I open this thread. Slowly shaking my head from side to side and ROTFLMAO By the way, I'm not an expert but I think his "DO" is correct.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  12. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you!

13. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I kinda forgot about this thread, so I just read through it, and sorry, still not convinced. There might be an anomaly of 0.01%, but the overwhelming majority of home schooled kids are weird.

14. Vito

Vito Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The entire sentence is a mess. I started to rewrite it, but writing with a mouse is a PITA. "Do" does work there without the parentheses. Then its just a run on sentence. That was the part that was too much effort for me. I think I made my point.

15. Vito

Vito Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It was actually a question. Questions end with question marks (?). Statements end with periods (.). Hooker was simply asking a question. Then, opinions were given.

Isn't learning fun?

That's a question. Feel free to give your opinion. I suppose I would need to define "fun".

16. Muzzy Man

Dislikes Received:
    All kids are weird, that's why they need us.:nana:

17. sachiko

sachiko Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    How come you all know so many people who were home schooled?

That in itself seems a little weird.

18. Muzzy Man

Dislikes Received:
    1. I am the president of my son's swim team. I have to deal with hundreds of kids, many of whom are home schooled and yes... some seem a little weird. 2. We are in Montgomery Alabama, where the schools are atrocious if you can't afford private school. Those kids seem more odd to me. The real odd birds though are usually the parents of home schoolers and not the kids themselves.

On the attractive side, if homeschoolers decide to take off to the beach or the mountains or a hunting trip... they go!

I know one family who has nine kids, all home schooled and the kids are graduating college at like 15-16 years old. The kids are great but the dad is a loon.