Chewing tobacco in a stand

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by JerseyHunter95, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't disagree. At the same time isn't not a smell associated with their house! Meaning its a foreign smell. So that big bruiser may just bolt when he detects "Something that just isn't quite right".

2. Woody9220

Woody9220 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have been hunting with a dip in for the last few years and have seen/ killed plenty of nice deer, but that has always been during the Illinois shotgun season. I guess I will find out this year if it has any affect when bow hunting.

3. mnbowhunter

mnbowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My pops smoked a 152" deer with a light cigarette in his mouth. I know cause I was 30 yards away telling him to put it out haha

4. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Would you chew on a date or a job interview? Why not?

It may be okay... but you're not going to risk it are you?

I used to chew and I killed deer but like someone said; "what big deer did I not kill?" I'll never know.

If I did chew, I would use a bottle to keep from smelling up the ground. JMHO

5. seanmoe

seanmoe Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I dip but my opinion on this is that I shouldn't on stand (although I sometimes do). It's not that I think they do or don't feel threatened by the smell that makes me say we shouln't its that they may...and givin everything that we do in order to increase our odds of making a kill it seems a little backwards that we would say it's ok to do something that even if we're not sure... MAY decrease or chances.

6. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This has always been an interesting topic for me, how deer interpret scents. No one knows or will ever know exactly what a deer smells at any given point in time and causes them to react they way they do.

For instance, when I was younger, I used to eat apples a toss the cores on the ground while I hunted. Deer like apples. I have seen countless deer walk up and eat the core while I sat and watched. This, despite my hands and mouth being all over that thing. The deer didn't mind.

Deer smell lots of things in the woods. I seriously doubt that a foreign, non-human (aka Predator) smell, is concerning to a deer. I just don't think deer are smart enough, or capable enough to comprehend that the smell of something, other than real predator or human scent, is related to danger unless they had a bad experience with that smell to begin with. Of course, a lot of our deer have been educated over the years and probably do associate some things with danger. But I think those things fall into a very small category.

My guess with tobacco, is that its probably not the chew itself that might spook an animal, its the saliva mixed in with it.

To me its kind of like when I drive around our property in the truck or on the atv. Deer, turkey's, whatever, will just stop and watch me drive by. Now if I were on foot, they'd be gone. They know a vehicle doesn't pose a threat to them because, well, maybe a truck or atv doesn't look like a predator or the two or four legged variety.

I do chew while on stand and spit in a bottle. I don't chew much outside of hunting or fishing and its my "relaxation" time to enjoy it once in a while.

7. sharpbroadheads

sharpbroadheads Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    okay...i am not denying that some of you have killed deer with a dip in......but i have not heard anyone say they have ever killed a giant while doing so...deer and huge deer are two completely different animals. there are many things that dont bother most deer that much. But huge old bucks ARE different.....in every aspect of their life. that is why we dont see them that often. If someone is content to just shoot "a deer", or even a "decent" buck or a "good" buck, then dipping on stand is probably just fine, I would not argue with that. I will argue however, that those people will not have repeated success on big deer while doing so.....a hunter may get lucky and shoot a big buck once in a great while, but ill bet my lucky huntin hat that he wont do it year in and year out....it just doesnt happen. Of all the people I know that consistently kill big bucks.....not one dips, smokes, or pees on the ground. I personally dont want to rely on getting lucky once in a great while, i want to put as many odds in my favor as i can to be succesful every time i step into the woods.....the post about not seeing the bigger buck is dead on....a lot of large antlered bucks are young deer...where i hunt it is not uncommon to see 140-150 inch 3 year olds.....a 3 year old might not spook from smelling a little copenhagen, but his 6 year old daddy that is 200 yards further down wind will....and you will never be the wiser. its just not a risk i am willing to take....i do absolutely everything i can to stay undetected...to introduce something foreign into the deers environment right in my immediate hunting area is not only counterproductive, it just plain doesnt make sense

8. ck3

ck3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I used to dip (quit 1 1/2 months ago) and I used a bottle. Sometimes I was lazy and spit on the ground. I can tell you for a fact I had a doe bust me because she smelled the chew on the ground. I saw her react when she came up to the spot I was spitting on and she hissed to warn her fawns. She then scooted past my stand so I did not have a shot.

9. rknierim

rknierim Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    swallow it. I always tell my brother, when he asks for a bottle to spit in, if he's not man enough to swallow it then don't chew it. I don't spit it on the ground. I don't get rid of my dip while still in the woods. Why risk it? If they can smell good enough to bust me for the smell of chew in my stomach, then I don't deserve to shoot that animal anyway. He must be a super-hero or something

10. michaelp

michaelp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:

I agree...pretty much useless for everyone involved...lol:rock:

11. jeffacarp

jeffacarp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    my early years hunting i dipped on stand and saw only younger bucks and does in moderate amounts. I quit dipping before the 2011 season and saw a lot more deer, and a lot more mature deer. I also spent more time on stand in 2011, so I'm not sure if there is a direct correlation to the amount of deer/age of deer i saw in regards to tobacco usuage on stand.

12. JerseyHunter95

JerseyHunter95 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    well im a youngster yet so i cant swallow it without vomiting which would bring an end to my hunt. im 16 i swallowed dip the first time i tried it and learned my lesson. but ive found that i can swallow a lil of my chewing tobacco and i just get bad heartbean but i can never swallow my friends dip. (people dont realize theres a big difference between chewing and dipping tobacco. i believe theyr cured different but dip is much harsher than chewin tobacco IMO)

13. JerseyHunter95

JerseyHunter95 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    thats absolutely stupid advice. being able swallow something that will give u cancer of the esophagus and stomach does not make yu a man. i chew and ive excepted that it is bad for u but i dont intentionally swallow it to prove my manhood.

14. Pro V1

Pro V1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm never in my stand/blind without a fresh chaw & i've never had any issues.