"Hunt for the Hungry" ...OK or Bad idea?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Stikman, Mar 31, 2012.

1. sharpbroadheads

sharpbroadheads Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Really...Y'all need to eat more! :):) My wife and I go through 7-8 a year...It's all we eat!

2. 1st Time Hunter

1st Time Hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yea, but the kids don't like it as much :(
    Its a lot for just him and I. Oh yea...and also I'm not the greatest cook in the world, so that doesn't help either! :sad:

3. sharpbroadheads

sharpbroadheads Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hmmm...sounds like you need to start sneaking it into things without them knowing it...thats how I got my wife's family to eat it....now they like it....i made burgers and didnt tell anyone it was venison until everyone had eaten 2 or 3....:evilgrin:

4. Gjacobs

Gjacobs Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have donated deer and will continue to do so. It is a great option if your freezer is already full and it benefits other needy people.

5. Treehopper

Treehopper Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have donated often, not only does it make me feel good. It helped keep the population in check when it was getting out of hand.

6. 1st Time Hunter

1st Time Hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You are right! And I have done that. So, we have tacos, lasagna, spaghetti, chili...all the stuff that you can replace ground beef with. I think that if we have less steaks, etc and ground more...then we would probably eat more.

7. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I've donated several times time as well as knowing several families that will take any meat they're given. In Wyoming, if you "donate" a deer, you are required to pay the processing and the bother can either donate the meat to a soup kitchen or the like, or if they have proper licensing they can produce jerky, summer sausage, etc. to sell for their business. I've never seen a state where you simply drop off a deer without any sort of payment. I also know that in several states, the processors get a tax break for butchering donated animals and distributing them to an organization to help feed hungry people.

I'd rather give meat than pay tax dollars for someone to eat at burger king. ;)

8. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I try to donate 1-2 deer a season. Plus sometimes I give 1-2 away to friends/family/co-workers. There's a lot of deer around, I can get a lot of tags and I like to hunt. It's a win-win all the way around.

9. jjnowak

jjnowak Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

10. VA Bowbender

VA Bowbender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Out of the 6-7 deer I kill per year I give all but 1 to Hunters for the Hungry. It's just me and the wife and the wife won't eat deer. I feel it's a VERY worthy cause. I'm not a trophy hunter I shoot every deer that comes within range, spots or not. BUT...I urban hunt to control damage done to ornamental shrubbery for property owners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. gummy034

gummy034 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't done it, but I would rather see it used for that, than having a whole deer turned into jerky and handed out to all your friends. What is the difference?

12. VA Bowbender

VA Bowbender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    In VA the hunter can drop off the deer at no cost at some processors and some will charge a fee. Hunters for the Hungry will pay the processor $35.00 per deer. The processor I use, you just take a deer that's been cleaned not skinned and drop it off. There is no charge to the hunter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk