What poundage?

Discussion in 'Traditional Archery' started by fatsbucknut, Nov 18, 2011.

1. fatsbucknut

fatsbucknut Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm going to get a recurve within the next couple months so i've been doing a good bit of research. I've found that a lot of people are shooting 45-50lbs. Do you guys feel this is sufficient? I don't wanna start out being over-bowed but i wanna have enough **** behind my arrows that i don't have any penetration issues. Any info is appreciated. Thanks.

2. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    40lbs will kill a deer any day of the week with the right arrow set up. Being over bowed to begin with Is so critical when starting out. So many bad habits will come Into play. If I were a newby starting out I'd get a bow In that 40lb range. Get your muscles honed and your form perfected. You can always go up In draw weight after you get comfortable and figure out what your doing.

3. fatsbucknut

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks a lot for the info, i appreciate it. Very excited to get shooting.

4. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Enjoy fatsbucknut!! It's a whole new experience, one I think everyone should try.

5. oxnam

oxnam Newb

Dislikes Received:
    How big or naturally strong are you? What do you want to hunt? How many times a week do you get out to shoot? What kind of poundage are you currently shooting?

The first bow I ordered was 65# @ 28" at age 16. That was my compound weight and no one told me I should drop down in weight and I was primarily chasing elk. I shot it lot and adapted very quickly. It worked great for me but I wouldn't recommend anything without some more details about you. There are some nice advantages of heavier weight bows if they can be shot comfortably. 50# is a very popular weight but after shooting 65-80# bows, they seem so slow.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  6. BowHuntingFool

BowHuntingFool Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The way I see it, speed is not a factor! For me it doesn't matter how long it takes my arrow to get where I'm looking, my arrow hitting the exact spot where I'm look matters more than how fast it gets there! Schultzy gave some great advice, I started out with 50#, killed a deer with it, then a 52#...another 52#, my last 2 bows I ordered were 47# and 45#...I shoot a lot, any heavier for me, would tire me out rather quickly! LOL! Start out light, reason being, this most likely will not be the only bow you will own, trust me!

7. oxnam

oxnam Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Words of wisdom right there!

8. woodsman

woodsman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You might want to check your state game laws. Some states have a minimum poundage requirement to hunt large game and some don't.

chris

9. ARYAN1

ARYAN1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you get a T/D (take down) you can start with 40# limbs then go up in weight later on by gettin heavier limbs and wont have to buy a new bow. but keep the 40# limbs because you can have fun stump shootin all day with them.

10. fatsbucknut

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for all the help. I ended up with 45#. I've been having a ball shooting it!

11. ARYAN1

ARYAN1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    good to hear fats, whats your arrow weight?

12. Larrington

Larrington Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I don't mean to hi-jack this thread, but I am very interested in the info as well. I haven't shot a bow more than 50 times, and only a compound. I too am interested in a recurve because I want to take as traditional an approach as reasonably possible. I am 6'1" tall, weighing 175 and in pretty good shape...I won't be hunting with it for a while being that I am currently stationed in Japan, but I want to be ready for when I get back to the states. Please advise.

13. balaban9331

balaban9331 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    just got a recurve today. a samick one peice at 40#.i'm 5'9" and 220 and have no problem pulling more weight but i want to learn properly and have fun doing it. if i find it gets too light in the future i'll buy something heavier.i would also like to do some hunting in the future.....but not the near future.

14. ARYAN1

ARYAN1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    40# is perfect, you can go stump shootin all day

15. fatsbucknut

Dislikes Received:

They should be around 540 grains with 200 up front. I starting shooting with a tab I cut out of Cordovan, what a world of difference it has made. I have a lot of practicing to go but I'm becoming consistent at 15yds and in.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  16. ACH

ACH Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Smart move.