Eye Glasses & Hunting

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Copehunt, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Copehunt

Copehunt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The eyes aren't what they use to be, so in about a week I'll have four of them. Any hunters here have any comments, opinions or advise about wearing glasses and hunting? I'm sure it will help me see much better, but a few concerns of mine are: Reflections, flashes or shine off of them - Fogging up - Interference with facemasks & hats - Drawing back - Lining up and aiming through the peep etc, etc.

I can't do contacts...

Thanks!

2. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've had little to no problems with mine. It has helped me see way more than they hindered. Rain is the the only real issue and a hat takes care of that.

3. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I wear contacts but I have glasses. Both I my brothers wear glasses and it hasn't been a problem for them. I bought too small of lenses to shoot my bow while wearing so I won't be hunting with them. Rain may cause problems or wearing a face mask has caused one of my brothers issues before though.

4. PCOutfitters

PCOutfitters Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have both contacts and glasses and I've always been used to using my contacts and this past year when I finally got a pair of glasses that I wear more often I've shot with them on. Personally I would rather shoot in my contacts because one of my anchor points is putting my knuckle underneath my ear and it pushes my glasses around a little bit and can cause some issues. I can shoot just fine with them on but I don't prefer them. As far as facemasks go I haven't had problems with mine.

That being said a lot of people say they "can't do contacts" and I was the same. The first week or so I had them they gave me all sorts of trouble putting them in and taking them out but now it's second nature. If you absolutely 100000000% positively cannot do contacts then definitely use glasses because it is a world of difference. You can make glasses work shooting a bow, but if you're anything like me I would recommend at least giving contacts a chance.

5. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I must say that my glasses really get in the way of my shooting. They constantly slip down my nose just enough that I can't see through them when I go to aim. Also when I look into the corner of the glasses when aiming they are blurry. The optician says this is because they are progressive lenses, meaning no line bifocals. I tried the other type, the lined bifocal, but I hated those things for everyday use. Fogging can be a problem if you wear something up over your nose, so avoid that. I too don't think I could wear contacts. Good luck to you, it does take some adjustments.

Blessings.......Pastorjim

6. rizzo999

rizzo999 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    2010_Hunt_025a.jpg I have some of the same issues as I have had had glasses since 2000. In cold weather they are easier to fog up when wearing a face mask. Rain is not typically a problem when wearing a hat, but I have had issues when there is a windy mist that just blows around. Hunting out of a ground blind should effect that positively though. The worst issue I ever had with glasses was with transition lenses while hunting with snow on the ground on a sunny day. The dang lenses got sooooo dark that I literally had to climb down from the tree early one afternoon 'cause it looked like to was nearly nighttime to me. I have an example of the transition lenses on me in this post....and this was NOT even in the snow!!! Other than that I have not had any problems with wearing glasses to shoot or hunt.

7. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I hunted with glasses for about 5 years and hated every minute of it. The biggest problem I had was the lenses fogging up on cold days. You can pretty much forget about wearing a facemask with glasses on. One breath = instant fog. Then if it was rainy, foggy or misty they would get full of water and make it hard to see.

I got contacts in 2006 and haven't looked back.

8. rtaylor

rtaylor Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I feel your pain. I finally had to get glasses three years ago. For me they are nothing but problems when hunting. They fog get water spots and when looking through my peep my frame on my glasses splits my vision. I really hate wearing contacts but you will probably get tired of battling the glasses when hunting and bite the bullet. I wear my glasses 100% of the time I am not hunting.

9. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have no problem with my glasses. Get a facemask with an open mouth to keep the fog down. Or use face paint which is what I do now.

I did take a me a little bit to get used to but I've become very accustomed to them.

10. grs00

grs00 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    No problem with my glasses. Actually see better with them than without. My new problem is to see really close I have to look under them. I have progressives but hate to use them since when walking etc it seems the floor is blurry. For rain/snow i wear a hat and face mask but, do not cover my nose.

11. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would seriously look into contacts, they are so much easier to deal with than glasses.

12. 1st Time Hunter

1st Time Hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had glasses when I first started and they seemed to always be a hinderance one way or another. I got contacts again after years of going without them. The contacts that I have now, I have absolutely no problems with at all. I can even sleep with them in and don't even notice them. You should check with your optometrist and get some samples of contacts, you may just be surprised.

13. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Contacts for me too!! A lot easier to deal with in my opinion.

14. ajax

ajax Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have glasses and contacts, the contacts are way easier to hunt with. I've experienced all of the problems everyone else has mentioned with glasses along with the issue of not being able to see well by simply cutting eyes to the left or right. Most of the time this is not an issue, but when you have deer in close and you can't move your head much it does make it a little more different to keep an eye on keeping other deer from slipping past you. And after turkey hunting this past weekend with them I really realized what a disadvantage they are.

15. Scljrl

Scljrl Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Contacts here too. Tried glasses and they just don't work for me for most of the above mentioned reasons. What's the reason you can't wear contacts??

16. spinnerbug

spinnerbug Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Be sure to get anti-glare coating & lens that turn dark in sun (uv)-otherwise you'll be fine and even see the pins just fine!

17. Copehunt

Copehunt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks everyone!

18. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I wear glasses and probable like you not a candidate for contacts.
    Fogging is an issue but anti fog solution helps that. I just pull my glasses away from my face and the fog clears up as well.
    My glasses don't mess with my aim but my su glasses do.
    I was thinking about getting some anti glare lenses and glasses just for hunting.

It's a pain but doable.

19. Ruff

Ruff Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hunted with glasses for about 10 years.

1) For hunting get a pair that are just for seeing that don't have bi-focals. For me that line was always where I was trying to aim and messed with my anchor point.

2) Forget facemask's when it's cold. Face paint is your friend.

3) Don't get the lens that darken in the sun. First light and last light they are a pain and makes things darker than it is and can cost you a deer or three. Talking from experiance!

4) Be very careful wearing glasses for the first few times in a tree or even on stairs for that matter till you get used to them. Get them well before hunting season to get used to them being a first time wear'er.

For my at 51 I got fed up with Glasses and went and had Lasik Surgery and it's without a doubt the best thing I ever did to gain my freedom back. Cost of this is less and less all the time and something to look into if you can swing the cost as most insurance wont cover it. Mine was $3800.00 last march.

Good Luck!