Trayvon Martin vs. George Zimmerman ....

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Tony, Mar 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    This is not about left or right, it's about right and wrong.

2. NEW61375

NEW61375 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    So let me get this straight...you're saying Zimmermans innocent, right?

3. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Try and look at it through what Trayvon was thinking. It seems perfectly fine to you and others that Zimmerman found Trayvon suspicious, are you telling me a kid being followed by adult male who is doing nothing wrong would not find be followed by Zimmerman suspicious in a car?

In 23 pages you keep stating it was perfectly fine for Zimmerman to react the way he did, to confront the kid on what he was doing.

If the above is true, why is not acceptible for Trayvon to do the same. Is it not his right as you and others have afford Zimmerman to as why he's being followed?

When they met one of them over reacted the questions why to me is more important than who at this point. Why is it you and others put the burden on the 17 year kid being followed to be able to assess what Zimmerman is up to.

At some point Zimmerman stated he went for his phone, was that act mistaken for reaching for his gun and that's when Trayvon punched him. I don't know nor do I think we will.

I keep saying he was 17 year old kid because he was 17.

Somehow it's ok for Zimmerman to folks here to question what was Trayvon up to, but it's not ok for Trayvon to questions Zimmerman is up to.

Your 17 be followed by a man in a car and it dark, is that not suspicious? Why is Zimmerman suspicious > and has more weight to you than Trayvons?

4. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I really do not believe we will ever know, the quote is from Trayvon's mother btw. I just change it to right or left, because I believe this is more about Gun Control than a black and white/hispanic(or whatever) issue.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  5. brucelanthier

brucelanthier Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If zimmerman is a "white hispanic" why isn't obama a "white african american"? They both had one white parent.

6. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Obama has not shot anyone yet and he hugged a Harvard professor:fro:

7. NEW61375

Dislikes Received:
    I have never said anyones behavior was fine, just probably not against the law. Confronting and assaulting are two different things...no? If someone confronts you or asks you who you are that is not against the law, if you then assault that person for confronting you and questioning you that is. You are basically saying that Zimmermans whole account is made up and that he was not assaulted. He was just asked a question by another concerned citizen which led to a fight and that Trayvon also had knowledge of the gun and thought Zimmerman was going for it. Which would mean that Zimmerman came up with a fairly elaborate cover up before the police(who he called) got there. OK...If that's what happened I imagine the FBI will be able to determine somethings fishy, we'll see.

Kid, child, teen = media hyperbole used to illicit an emotional response in many cases. Seems it works. Other than that it probably never came into play between the two individuals on that night. That's not so much directed at you Germ more towards the medias initial portrayal of Trayvon as some little kid.

8. racewayking

racewayking Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  9. JerseyHunter95

JerseyHunter95 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    damn were still talking about this? ****s like "12 Angry Men"

10. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Do you know why? Because some of us don't care if Zimmerman hot his butt kicked or not ... some of us are sickened by his irresponsible actions ... we never said Trayvon was totally innocent ... the platform is and has always been the god complex displayed by Zimmerman .... he shouldn't have gotten out of the truck ...

11. NEW61375

Dislikes Received:
    God complex displayed by Zimmerman?? Some of you fellas know squat just like the rest of us media readers yet the statements you make suggest otherwise.

Innocent until proven guilty, sorry that's how it works...don't shoot the messenger.

12. JerseyHunter95

JerseyHunter95 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Look im not disagreeing or agreeing with either of you. I'm just saying this is a bowhunting forum and this particular thread is getting A LOT of action. I know its under the Water Cooler section but some of you guys are really getting into it. Water Cooler conversations are just for shootin the bull, not an entire defense case.

My only complaints on this thread were about the media painting this whole thing as a hate crime.

13. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    NEW ... he shouldn't have gotten out of the vehicle ..... I KNOW you gree with that ....say it.

Jersey, I know, Bro ... just responding to the others ... it's all good ... it is the off season .. that's how it goes :D

14. racewayking

racewayking Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    He broke no laws getting out of the car. Maybe Trayvon shouldn't have jumped him from behind and tried to beat him if that is what really happened;)

15. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I 100% believe he should be at NO fault for getting out of the vehicle... Since when have we become so sensitive as a society that we can't answer a simple question to a neighborhood watch guy? Is he acting like officer doofy chasing down ghosts? Perhaps, but so what? Asking a guy what he is doing while walking down the street isn't a crime, or invitation to bash someones head in. Nor is it a reason to shoot someone.

Fact is, people keep fabricating the parts of the story we just simply don't know to bolster arguments as to why the guy is a wrongful, racist murderer who shot a 5 year old kid eating skittles in cold blood. Until we know what happened in the altercation, how can we know what he is guilty of?

IDK why this thread keeps sucking me in.......lol

16. NEW61375

Dislikes Received:
    You KNOW I agree with that...that made me laugh. Have you read the last 20+ pages? In your opinion he shouldn't have got out of the car, OK I get your opinion....still not a crime.

Turkey season is Saturday JerseyHunter, trying to get this case wrapped up by then ;)

17. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Actually, I haven't read most of this thread .. :D

the whole situation frustrates me ..... my thoughts ...

The media lies to over embellish their story (shocker to no one)

Zimmerman was stupid enough to follow someone he thought was dangerous and then get out of the truck ... again, supposedly thinking this guy is a possible criminal.

Trayvon was a punk teenager with an attitude, showing that there is a good chance his parents didn't do too good of a job raising him

Mom was already looking to benefit financially from her son's death (see previous point)

Trayvon instead of having a chip on his shoulder could have told Zimmerman what he wanted to know instead of trying to hide from him

If he was trying to hide from him, was it to gain advantage to jump him? If so, BANG ... your dead.

Was it because he was scared of him? If so, Zimmerman must have found him and then the confrontation ensued.

When it's all said and done, I will be in a tree bowhunting whitetails this fall :rock:

18. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    He saw what he percieved as a suspicious person
    He called 911 to report it and was told not to follow him
    He did follow him and got out of his car to confront him.

19. Finch

Finch Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If OJ and Casey Anthony were set free....Zimmerman shouldn't have anything to worry about.

20. OHbowhntr

OHbowhntr Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Tony,
    I don't know that I would consider his actions "irresponsible." If Trayvon assaulted him, broke his nose and proceeded to do a little "Curb stomping," as much of what we have heard is true, then I COMPLETELY support his right to use his weapon, a weapon in which he has went and taken a course, and passed a shooting competency to have the right to carry concealed, and USE in such circumstance when his or someone else's life is in danger. Again, if he approached Trayvon, and asked him if he could help him/whatever, and Trayvon was walking home, and needed a ride, and he gave him a ride to his house, this whole thing would have turned out differently. Unfortunately, that is NOT the case... Something happen, cooler heads did NOT prevail, but in the circumstances, in which a man is assaulted by another man (and I'll call him a MAN, because at 6'3", he's certainly not a little kid as the disgusting misleading media tried to portray), he has a right to defend himself with appropriate force up to and including LETHAL FORCE in his efforts of SELF-PRESERVATION. As part of a neighborhood watch, he has the right AND obligation to find out WHO is in his neighborhood. He's recognized by many as a responsible, respectable person, and then in an instant, he's tried and convicted in the court of public opinion, because as the victim of an assault, he used his weapon to protect himself.... I know Jesus said to turn the other cheek, but in the light of getting my skull stomped in, I'm more apt to retaliate, and ask for forgiveness later. My wife and kids still need me, therefore, I'm not going to turn the other cheek to the extent of having my skull smashed in. I, for one, don't think ZIMMERMAN was the IRRESPONSIBLE party in this situation. Given the history of the deceased, we can assume that at least 3 other times during the past year, he's had some issues with "poor decision making," and I think considering he "didn't have a mark on him," other than the GSW, tells us that he was very likely the instigator of the assault, and that furthermore justifies Zimmerman's actions to protect himself. As I said earlier in the thread, I was a more dangerous foe at 17, than I would be today for someone to be in an altercation with, so don't let the fact that Martin is "only 17" misguide your judgment of his capabilities.

I don't agree, I think he has a RIGHT to check in and see who's lurking around his gated neighborhood, and as the "captain of the neighborhood crime watch," he's got somewhat of an obligation. Remember, he was speaking with a dispatcher, not an actual police officer, and had Martin's actions been different, this whole incident would have never been known to us, because he'd likely still be ALIVE!!!

Again, if Zimmerman was hanging out there, blowing the smoke off of his barrel of his gun, without a scratch on him, I think that he'd also be sitting in a cell, but as it is, that's not the case. And while many want to say he was IRRESPONSIBLE, he was exactly the opposite. He used his weapon in an appropriate manner to defend his person, from further injury, and in that usage, ended the life of the assailant. Isn't that what we want our right to bear arms for??? Let's forget that the assailant was a minor by law, and consider that he was 25, had a criminal record for assault, attempted murder, and numerous drug violations.... I believe if the assailant had been WHITE or Hispanic, and of the above description, this would be a story about how a man with a CCW used his weapon in an appropriate manner to protect himself from an attacker, thus being able to go home to his wife and kids, and continue in his fatherly and husbandly duties....

Jersey,
    We are all hunters/archers/bowhunters and brothers in that love for the sport, but we still have opinions, and that is what this section of the forum was created for. Soon a few guys will be out chasing turkeys, and that will gain some ground, but for now, it's about current events, and figuring out the what-if's....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.