Mechanical vs. fixed

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by SFarcher, Mar 19, 2012.

1. SFarcher

SFarcher Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have used both mechanical and fixed blade broad heads and I am thinking about getting new broad heads this year. What are your thoughts about fixed or mechanical broad heads and what specific broad head do you use?

2. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have used both in the past, and I'm sure I will end up using both in the future. It's really just like everything else, personal preference. Some guys will only use fixed because mechanical broadheads do leave room for failure however slim that chance may be. I have heard of several instances of rages opening in flight, but I have never seen it for myself. Currently I am shooting shuttle t locks, and I could not be happier with them. The killzones have definitely caught my eye, but I don't need to buy new broadheads yet. I may end up giving them a try next time I need to buy new broadheads. Until then I am totally confident with the shuttle t locks and definitely recommend them.

3. bone8collector

bone8collector Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I used both rage and grim reaper broadheads this year and was impressed with both, pass throughs all 3 times, Im going to shoot those KillZones this year, It's like NAP perfected the Rage, thats how i see it, its an awesome looking broadhead.

4. wags1

wags1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    shoot gobbler getters for turkeys (mechanical). muzzy mx-3 or slicktricks for all other game.

5. ngabowhunter

ngabowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I really like G5 Strikers, after saying that I might try the ramcats

6. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I've been shooting Rages for 5 years with no complaints. I'll probably switch to a fixed blade before my elk hunt in 2013 though.

7. SFarcher

SFarcher Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I think I'm am going to try the new g5 havocs or the nap killzones this year. They are pretty similar so I'm undecided as of now. I have used g5 expandables in the past so I'm leaning more towards the havocs. If I were to use fixed blades this year I am going to try muzzy mx-3s. Has anyone used muzzys and if so how are they?

8. wags1

wags1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    SFarcher i used mx-3s on my bear hunt this past fall and they preformed as well as i had expected. if bow is set up properly, they fly fine. i will probably go to slicktricks this deer season as they seem just a tad sharper,and there is not a nickles worth of difference between the two heads as far as how they shoot out of my bow. getting back to the mx-3s ,think you would like them, and they did put the hammer on a dandy blackie last fall.

9. nate

nate Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I loved my rage 2 blade last year, they are devastating. It does look like NAP perfected the rages though. I think I'll use fixed blade heads when I still hunt though. I can't risk drawing on a deer and seeing that one of the blades has caught on something and opened up accidentally.

10. Timberking

Timberking Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I've used both. I've been shooting Muzzy's for the past few years but i'm switching to Wasp Jak-Hammers this fall.

11. ARYAN1

ARYAN1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Slick Trick Razortricks in my compound and Werewolf's in my Recurve

12. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Tried expandibles and kept having issues with them opening up before I ever got a shot off. I think they leave room for error. IMO
    I like the Muzzy fixed blades because they fly just like a field tip and you can buy them almost anywhere.

13. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Here is a blog that I wrote a few years ago about broadheads and the Pros/Cons of each type.

Fixed vs. Mechanical

14. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have shot both and am currently shooting G5 Montecs. I tried mechanicals for a few years but went away from them because I wasn't getting pass-thrus. I did recover all deer I shot with them but the fact that I wasn't getting a complete pass-thru kinda spooked me off of them. I'm not saying there are not good ones out there, they just weren't working for me. The two mechanicals I tried were the Grim Reaper and the NAP Spitfires. You will have to see what works for you and go from there. In the past, as faras fixed blades, I have shot Muzzys and Slick-Tricks. IMO these are very solid heads and I don't think you could go wrong.

Blessings.......Pastorjim

15. Pro V1

Pro V1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Muzzy MX4's. I shot two deer with them last year with both being pass through's with good blood trails. Plus they don't break the bank.

16. maghunter 444

maghunter 444 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    i have been shooting cabelas brand lazer strike 2's. they are mechanical and i have shot four deer with them with no failures at all. all deer have died within sight. i love them cause i shoot feild point all day shoot one or two broadheads and they group in the same group as my field points every time. so i save time practicing. there cheap and reliable wat more do u need performance kills deer not a fancy name or high price tag.

17. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I use the Rage 2 Blade broadheads. I have been using them for the last 3 years. I have yet to lose a deer while shooting them. Devastating exit wounds and good blood trails. I shot a buck this past hunting season at 15 yards quartering away and he had an exit wound the size of a tennis ball.

18. tracker1

tracker1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    i always carry both and use them as the situation dictates. if i'm in an area that long tracking is not an option like close to private property, close to a swamp or other cover that would make tracking harder, or last light in the early season, i use an expandable. of course with an expandable i limit my shot angles. with all other conditions i use a fixed blade. right now for an expandable i use the 2 blade rage, for a fixed i use a thunderhead. i have used thunderheads for over 20 years and nevr been disappointed in their performance. i sharpen all new blades on all heads scary sharp.