Hunting Knowledge---start giving it up! :)

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by virginiashadow, Mar 25, 2012.

1. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Come on now some of you hunting veterans, start giving up some of that hard earned knowledge. Big woods bucks, hunting in the morning verse the night, early season, pre-rut, public land, private land, managing your herd for BIG BUCKS :), taking out does, scent trails, rubs, scrape lines, thermal currents, hunting the wind, using aerial/topos to build a hunting plan, find the food sources, hunting the terrain, your thoughts on things that can make us all better.....GIVE IT UP!

Right now is the best time to help others out as they scout and plan for the upcoming season. Come on guys, no matter the experience, place you hunt, the BIG BUCKS you've killed (or not like me),give us all some knowledge. Look at the threads right now on this board (WHERE are the tactical hunting threads fellas!).

KILL

2. gutone4me

gutone4me Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you plant it they will come .......

3. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Make a thread Gut. Do you always plant your food plots in open fields or do you an ability to plant in certain areas inside the woods? I am interested.

4. sharpbroadheads

sharpbroadheads Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    access is more important than aything else...scent control, food plots, the best equipment, or even the best stand placement, means nothing if the deer know you are hunting them

5. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    An expansion on that idea would be a great post. Put some detail into your thoughts and they would benefit a good amount of hunters on this site. OR we could sit around and talking about everything but hunting tactics.

6. NebraskaDeerKilln

NebraskaDeerKilln Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Location x3. Everthing is different where ever you hunt. Round my area deer are not really put off by scent. It just makes them a little more alert. You have to put in the leg work. I havnt used topo's or anything like that. I get walkn. Find trails. Cameras are nice to see how much action there is. A good spotting scope used from a road or distant place will help you learn some patterns. I always try to get out when the weather changes to see how their patterns change with them. I hunt alot of public ground. So plots and such are a no no. To kind of sum it up. Deer are creatures of habit. Small changes have big changes in their habits. You can not make them come to you without putting yourself in their home. Its the only way to see more. The more does you can find in an area, the more bucks you will find come the rut. I dont really know what else to say without giving up all my secrets.

7. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My tip.. edges. Find and hunt edges as often as you can. These edges are similar to structure to a bass and deer behave much like a bass on a stump. They use these edges, especially bucks, to move from one area to another, while having a quick access to cover is they need it. They feel more secure this way. The pre rut is my favorite time to hunt them as the bucks are starting to look for does and cover a lot of ground doing so, but I will purposely look for and hang stands on good edges any day over not.

8. Southernboy

Southernboy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A good nights sleep.

As you get older being well rested is a huge benefit.

The most comfotable stand you can afford.

Warm feet.

SB

9. striker

striker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt almost all public land. The things I feel give me my best chances are hunting in very thick cover, most I couldnt take a shot over twenty yards none nore than thirty. Early morning is best for me, im in my stand at least an hour before light a lot of times two hours before light. I pay a lot of attention to access. My favorite way to get to a stand is through a stream. My favorite spot is one I wade through chest deep water in the dark to get to, it freaks me out a little but I see deer every sit

10. dukemichaels

dukemichaels Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Word.

11. Lastoneout

Lastoneout Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    When you have a long hike to your stand in the early season strip down and go slow

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

12. Treehopper

Treehopper Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Decoys are really very under utilized in September. The earlier in the month the better. I like to use them on food sources preferably food plots or fields in the evening.

This works really well when you have a healthy herd with a good age class structure. It seems they are trying to set the pecking order.