fastest car you have owned

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by sharpbroadheads, Mar 24, 2012.

1. sharpbroadheads

sharpbroadheads Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    so what is the fastest car everyone has actually OWNED, not just dreamed about....

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  2. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nice car, but to do what you say you have done on public roads is reprehensible. Its one thing to risk your own life. I have no problem with that. But to go over 170mph on a public highway is risking the lives of others. That's where I have a serious problem. Those speeds belong on the race track only.

My fastest car is an Infiniti G35 stock. I have no idea how fast it could go.

3. Hoythews71

Hoythews71 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That's a pretty sharp ride man!

I had a supercharged 1996 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP when I was a senior in high school. Very quick, and very impractical, but I was going through a phase when I bought it. Just bought a 2007 Dodge Charger RT a few weeks ago, and that's pretty dang fast too! Nice having a car and a truck! I'd like to do a little work to it eventually, but there's a chance it's going to have to go away to make room for an economy car in the next year or so after our move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. davidmil

davidmil Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know the fastest. I never saw the need to find out. Keep playing with 172 on the highway.... you or someone will be removed from the gene pool eventually. Should you get caught... I'm suspecting jail time... or a spanking. LOL Speed does not impress me in the least.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  5. sharpbroadheads

Dislikes Received:
    you aint kiddin about those grand prix GTPs....i drove one of those once, those things are surprisingly fast for "family sedan"

6. Krohboy

Krohboy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My stratus rt with a built 3.5 supercharged. Went pretty fast but I'll stick with my ram. I'd like another project car some day but it's not in the foreseeable future

7. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I used to be nuts into cars. After nearly killing myself and a good buddy........and realizing I had enough $$$ into my current ride to put a healthy down payment on a house, I parted it out and have driven nothing but stock cars since. I suppose someday I'll have a midlife crisis and get something again, but today I have enough expensive/time consuming hobbies according to my wife.

My fastest ride was an 01' WE Jetta 1.8T that I bought brand new. I ended up putting a 50 trim on it along with the necessary manifold, injectors, software, intercooler, suspension, etc. On C16 the tune I had on it would spike to almost 30 and hold 25-26 psi to redline. I kept going through clutches and I was afraid to put drag radials or slicks on it to get a solid run out of it, but my best run on C16 went mid 12's at 118. Despite over 100 passes with that car, I could never get below a 2.3ish 60' time which killed the ETA but my trap speeds really showed what the car was capable of. That same tune put down 360 something at the front wheels and 390 something ft/lbs, I don't remember exactly now as it was about 10 years ago. It sucked from a stop due to lack of traction (FWD) and first and second gear were pretty much worthless once the wastegate opened. But from a roll it would absolutely murder any naturally aspirated LS1's or Mustangs that ran around, and most anything else I ran across. You can't see the platinum grill in these pics.........I painted it black so people never really knew what was done unless they got under the hood. :evilgrin:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Mine would have been my old Pontiac Forumula 350. Loved that car!

9. Aaron

Aaron Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not "Fast" by any means, but I had a 69 Chevy Pickup I liked to toy around with when I was younger...

It had a 283ci .030 over, mild cam, intake, Holley 600... 350 Trans w/shift kit and 2300 stall. It would run 10's in a 1/8 :rock:

Man, that eclipse was SICK... Just curious... what would it do with out Spraying?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I do hope one day to find a 68-72 Chevy Nova... keep it street legal running low 7's in a 1/8... and I'll be set for life.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  10. The Amatuer

The Amatuer Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    2006 Acura Integra

Slow it down or risk warping to another dimension.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  11. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That a cool ride.

I had a 2000 GTS Viper that I had set up for street and road courses. Short throw shifter, quiafe diff, aluminum fly wheel and 6 piston baer brakes up front and put the front breaks on the back. Stock 8.3 motor put out 460hp but 500lbs of touque naturally aspirated, there's no replacement for displacement:). I join several car clubs that would rent out race track to drive on. I never had enough road to safely go for top end but I'd hit about 155mph every 2:30 on Sebrings road course and go through two tanks of gas in one day session:-)
    Loved the looks as much as the performance. Steel grey with black interior.
    Sold for the 2005 converible Viper but sold that a few mouths ago.
    Wife says we should get the 2013 SRT Viper being shown in about two weeks at the NY auto show. Love that women of mine:)

12. english archer

english archer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had a Jaguar XJ40, that was blueprinted and chipped, it made 296bhp. Top speed was over 150

And I had a Rover 623GSI that was putting out almost 250bhp, never found out the top speed of that

13. sharpbroadheads

Dislikes Received:

thanks. without nos it will run 10.9-11.0 1/4 mile....on street tires

14. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nothing too fast for me but boat loads of low end power. I had a 1970 3/4 ton camper special Ford Pickup with very low gears In It. It had a 352 under the hood. At 120,000 miles It started burning a ton of oil so I'll pulled the motor out and did my 1st ever rebuild. I think I could hit 85 or 90 mph In an 1/8th mile. That was 21 years ago, hard to remember for sure.

15. OK/Sooner

OK/Sooner Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've never owned a car. But the fastest truck I've ever owed was a 06 silverado SS. It was my baby. Had cold air intake, custom tune, headers, msd wires, magnaflow, had a switch to open the exaust were it was just straight headers, lowered, bunch more stuff that I've forgot. Decided to sell it when little man came along. Truck got me in way to much trouble. Fastest it ever ran was 10.4 in 1000 ft. And not gonna say how fast on the highway lol here's a few pics. Had 4 different sets of 22's on it the 5 years I had it. Wish I had all the money back that I put in this thing. Only thing I can say is. Women love fast trucks!:)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Mine was an 88 S-10. Did a little work to it. 350 balanced / blueprinted. Aluminum brodix heads. 2.02 valves. .515 lift cam. Straight pipes to supertrapp exhaust. Too much to list.

Live and learn.

Yea it got me a few tickets in my younger days. Most improper takes off. They don't like it when you pack the front wheels on the street.:rolleyes:

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

17. NebraskaDeerKilln

NebraskaDeerKilln Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Had a 89 honda prelude when i was in high school. Ran 12's on the track. Could beat any v6 mustang, gt probe, the ocasional v8 when they had traction problems. At 140 the front end would start to float. So i never topped it out. Today i have a Yamaha fz6r that tops at 137 with alot of motor still in it.

18. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Had a 1982 Z-28 when I was in high school. I put a mild cam with 1.6 ratio rockers. Single plane high rise intake with 750 dubble pumper. Long tube headers with 3 inch flowmasters. Tranny had manual valve body with 2800 stall. Posi rear with 3.73 gears. It was a real sleeper. No thought it was much. Speedo only went to 85 for some reason. I do know that it would run around 150 mph cause that is how fast my brother was going on his GSXR when he stared to pull away from me. I got a ticket for 39 in a 35. Cop knew me and cut me a major break, I was really doing 139 in that 35. I didn't have guts to tell him I was slowing down when he got me. I wish I had pictures of everything I use to own. But a fire just after my wife and I got married took all my photo albums:mad:

sent from my electronic carrier pigeon

19. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have helped put together some really fast rides. A friend of my use to run outlaw street in the HotRod power tour. It was a 1972 Monte Carlo SS with 596ci bb on alcohol. It had a 14-71 blower and a four speed lenco. Car made 1650 hp on chassis dyno. Gregs best was 6.70's @ 195. His car was even on the cover of HotRod once.

sent from my electronic carrier pigeon

20. ultramax

ultramax Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Growing up in the late 60's and 70's i have driven and rode in some of the fastest street cars made, 59 vett w/dual carbs, boss 302,boss 427 sohc,most of the hemi gtx and roadrunners, 70 chevelle with a wild 481 cube deal that would take your breath away. 67 nova w/302 chevy w/crossram and 4 speed. all bad arse and stupid at the same time,I crashed a real nice car when i was 15 and was thrown thru the drivers window after hitting the ditch at high speed after that i never liked fast cars as a passenger or driver.Later i crewed for a top sportman car with a 615 dual nos lenco car that ran 200 mph like clockwork.

But i have always been a boat guy.
    Started going to boat drags at the age of 12 and buying my own at age 18 and still have it today.

Here is my 83 sanger hydro 496 alum head all roller w/500 hp shot of nos 9.70 127 mph 1/4 mile
    after this race i put a 601 bbc dual dom and 500 shot of nos and after some testing I deemed the boat could not handle the power and sold the hull.But kept the engine
    [​IMG]

BBC 601 Dual dominator w/nos fogger and spray bar system all roller, pro action 380 alum heads
    [​IMG]
    (on stand) waiting it's turn.

Here is my 17' diamond flat 1973 v-drive 565 cubes w/350 shot of nos and 3 speed trans that i bought in high school and still have and run every year. In 31 years I have sunk it 2 times spun it out 1 almost flipped it last year and and hurt my back pretty bad. But getting ready for the lake already

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012