practice

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by austin97, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Obsessed1

Obsessed1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

Exactly, long range is just simply fun and really makes you so much more effective. Yes, my effective hunting range has migrated out to about 85-90 yards under perfect conditions. I could hit one where I aimed much farther but experience has taught me penetration is lost drastically and progressively once you break 90 yards.

2. AshAid

AshAid Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

I like this idea....:rock:

3. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The vast majority of my shooting Is done between 10 and 20 yards. When I need to perfect my form some I'll get back to that 30 to 40 yard range.

4. Deerhunter 28

Deerhunter 28 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    20-60 mostly 50

PSE EVO 60 lbs.
    Blacked out

5. Dogfish

Dogfish Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    i love shooting ground hogs at 80+ yards, i havent tried a deer farther then 66 yds though.

6. JerseyHunter95

JerseyHunter95 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    yea i realize what you mean. after shooting that far away 20*30 yards is nothing. this brings something up that im having trouble with. i just started shooting a bow. i started at 10, now i can group pretty good at 20 but at 30 im spraying them all over the place. its pissing me off. realisticly, where my stand is ill be (God willing) taking deer at 10-15 yards. my bait piles at like 20-25. but my pins on my sight are set at 10, 20, 30 yrds so i want to be proffecient at that range. Its seems like they lob more at 30 yards while at 20 yards they have a real flat trajectory. My bow is at 50lbs and has an fps probably around 300.

7. Obsessed1

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know where to begin? If I were you I'd start with a quality bow shop to check your setup to make sure everything is ok.

8. ILLUSION HUNTER

ILLUSION HUNTER Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Now that I got a new bow and a single pin floating sight I've been shooting alot farther distances. I have to mark my tape on the sight myself so I want to shoot far to get it marked. I've been shooting at 65yards, and I've gotten pretty good at 55 yards. I never would of thought of this with my old setup, but the single floating pin is much easier for me and it does make a 25 yard shot seem like nothing.

9. JerseyHunter95

JerseyHunter95 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i shot at 30 today and got big groups but all in the circle. its probably just me being shaky.

10. round cam

round cam Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Was that the, "I fell out of my tree-stand" position?

But, just like almost everyone else, 30-40 cause my hunting shots are always under 30. But it's a lot of fun chucking them out 80-90 yds.

I tried to simulate the 4-hour sit, out in 20deg's, but lost interest & went back in the house.

11. Obsessed1

Dislikes Received:

First things first, open your hand or very lightly grip the bow. Focus on one tiny spot and aim small. Lightly squeeze the trigger on the release until it surprises you when it goes off. If your release is adjustable back the tension on the trigger down a turn or two and test fire it in front of your target so you don't send an arrow in your neighbors yard. Quit shooting 20 yards until closer ton season to fine tune your sights. Once your shooting good at 30 move back to 40. Shoot one arrow at a time slow and easy in groups of three and make it count. Focus purely on your shooting form. Don't worry about sight adjustment until your convinced it consistently hits off the mark. I don't change mine unless I group off for a week or two because at 120-150 yards the wind can carry an arrow off mark a good bit.. I don't even pay any attention at all where each arrow hits but instead focus on good groups. You would be surprised to learn that many of my 100 yard groups are smaller than my 30 yard groups because I don't take the time to aim as well and have a tendency to lose focus a just slap the trigger on those close shots. That's not saying I can't shoot well at close range; it just gets bothersome destroying perfectly good arrows.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012