Bowtech Insanity CPX

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by GeorgiaBoy, Feb 25, 2012.

1. GeorgiaBoy

GeorgiaBoy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So, I came into some cash from taxes and went out and splurged on a new bow. My old Redhead Blackout, essentially Bass Pro's version of the Diamond Outlaw was a good shooter that managed to drop me a load of hogs and a single buck this past season, so hopefully the Insanity will be able to perform better, considering I managed to flat miss a nearly P&Y 8-point and a mature doe with the Blackout and I'm already shooting consistently better with the new Insanity.

[​IMG]

Draw Weight : 50-60, 60-70, 70-80

I chose to go with the typical 60-70 pound version, and we dialed her in to an even 65 pounds. The draw cycle is relatively smooth, but not as smooth as my Redhead Blackout, which was set at 60 pounds. I do not know exactly why the draw cycle is more aggressive, but I'm willing to bet it's the change from a single cam to a dual cam bow. The let off is billed at 80%, but my bow tech told me it is 75% and I'm leaning more towards the second number. Once I reach let-off, the bow feels wonderful – there is enough weight remaining that I continue to hold steady pressure and it has thus far eliminated my creep issues I had with the Redhead. The valley is adequate, and the back wall is absolutely solid.

Mass Weight : 4.3 lbs.

The Bowtech Insanity is certainly no Mathew's Heli-M, nor is it as light as my Redhead. While weighing a full pound heavier than the Heli-M, it is certain to aggravate my arms more on the long treks I take to my stands during deer season and will prove even more annoying to deal with as I try to get into a concealed spot to guillotine a Tom in turkey season. . .but, the weight is a very evenly distributed mass and lends a very special amount of stability that I did not experience as much with the Heli-M, as well as my old bow. Whereas I've been unable to reach out with any amount of accuracy past 30 yards, I'm hoping that with enough practice this stability will make me a more accurate archer at my peak range and past it.

Kinetic Energy : 98 ft-lbs.

Under IBO standards, bow companies supply us with IBO influenced calculations of Kinetic Energy. With my draw length, arrow weight of 390~ grains, and draw weight, my particular Insanity CPX is touching 88 ft-lbs of Kinetic Energy. In comparison, my Redhead Blackout was putting out 69 ft-lbs. I'm now much happier to be hitting harder, increasing my chance of a pass through and intensifying the damage caused by my arrows on impact. As hunters, we all strive to reach recovery rates of the animals we choose to shoot that are close to one hundred percent. I'm very pleased to know that I've increased my chances marginally.

Axle to Axle : 32”

I primarily hunt out of trees, but occasionally opt for a ground blind. The Insanity CPX is right up my alley – long enough to lend to stability and therefore forgiveness, but short enough not to impede any shots I may be presented with whether I'm shooting from a tree with intense cover, a blind with a short area to maneuver, or the ground itself. She's compact, but not too compact.

IBO Speed : 355 FPS

IBO is a great general estimate for the speeds your arrows will be reaching with broadheads, wraps, and the lighted nocks we all know and love and trick our arrows out with. It's a known fact that many hunters will never touch upon the advertised speeds, whether it be due to draw length or preferred poundage~all factors that influence our accuracy and therefore our recovery rates. With that said, my Bowtech Insanity is set to 29.5” draw length, 65 pounds, and chronographs my hunting arrows at 318 FPS. With a single pin, my arrows at yardages lower than 30 are all grouped exceptionally well. When I step to the 27 yard mark, my shot drops about half an inch. This bow is entirely capable of firing one pin to 30 yards, which I exactly what I've wanted to do for a long time now. Incredibly happy with this.

Brace Height : 6”

I was once a hunter whom never thought I would be able to pick up a bow under 7” of brace height and achieve the forgiveness I require to maintain consistent groups at the distances I was comfortable with shooting at. Truth be told, now I'm completely aware that the extra money I've spent on an upper end bow and the technologies included have allowed me to shoot more confidently and accurately than ever before. If you're shooting a 7” or higher brace height bow and fear the idea of stepping down a notch to increase your penetration through increasing your speeds gained by increasing the length of the power-stroke, fear not. Balanced, smooth, and almost absolutely dead on the shot, the Bowtech Insanity CPX is a powerful, forgiving shooter.

Advantages :
    • Great FPS – increased penetration.
    • Ghostly quiet.
    • Stable and balanced.
    • Forgiving – accuracy has increased for me.
    • Gorgeous cosmetically.

Disadvantages :
    • A bit heavy, increasing the necessity of a bow sling.
    • The finish on the limbs is not very durable. By the time my bow was set up, their were already slight nicks. The bow tech at Wildcat Archery down here stated that if a customer is unpleased with the product, Bowtech is willing to send out new limbs that they say are more durable than the initial run.

Overall, I am incredibly pleased with Bowtech's new Insanity CPX.

No, I'm not on their payroll~

2. ILLUSION HUNTER

ILLUSION HUNTER Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nice review of both the pros and cons that you've experienced. Thanks for the info.

3. GeorgiaBoy

Dislikes Received:
    I actually plan to run these limbs through hell before I call Bowtech for some new ones.

4. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nice review and as far as the draw cycle, I bet it has to do with how aggressive those cams are to get the speeds it gets over the Redhead.

5. frantic29

frantic29 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the new bow. I didn't get to shoot one but did get to see and look at 3 yesterday. All of them had chipping on the limbs. They had 1 I didn't get to look at because someone was shooting it. I'm glad Bowtech said they were going to fix that for you. It's a shame they couldn't get the finish right the first time though.

6. GeorgiaBoy

Dislikes Received:
    The Insanity is slinging arrows through about 30 inches of styrofoam. Time to buy a new target.

7. shed

shed Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    sweet rig! congrats!

8. GeorgiaBoy

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys. =]

9. Scljrl

Scljrl Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats! and nice write up.

10. GeorgiaBoy

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]

I wasn't able to do this with the Redhead at 40 yards. This bow is a serious upgrade from that thing. xD

11. Pro V1

Pro V1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    is that the Octane 7" hunter stabilizer on there?

12. jakeratt

jakeratt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    keep a close eye on this bow.... at our shop we have had 3 blow up since the first came in. I work at a archery shop and we have had numerous come in with the cables blown into pieces from cam lean and also the cables jaming in the reverse ast.

13. GeorgiaBoy

Dislikes Received:
    That is in fact an Octane 7". And wow, thanks Jakeratt. I'll watch it closely, but so far, so good.

14. MeanV2

MeanV2 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Really? Shoot me a number I'd like to talk or if you want mine let me know. I've had several Insanitys in my hand and Cam lean was sure not an issue. Even if there was it would only take a few minutes and a little knowledge to totally eliminate it :)

GB, Sweet looking rig!!

Dan

15. MtnManX

MtnManX Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome Bow

Really? because the shop i work for has a lot of Insanities going out the door and i haven't seen any come back except for one that some idiot had dry fired. Everything i've heard is that people are thrilled with the BowTech has done this bow. I know that as soon as i get my taxes back that i'm buying one!!!

16. td8541

td8541 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    For real???

I too have seen and shot many and have not seen one do such. Not even the ones purchased at the ATA show. Had one with finish issues, but that has been replaced and the finishes issue has been resolved as well. Sounds like that shop needs to figure out how to set up these bows properly if you are experiencing any issues, let alone numerous of them.

I left another web site in hopes of finding a site that helps others rather than bashing them. Not saying this is a bash, but we have set up lots without seeing this once.

To the OP, good post and you'll love it!

17. GeorgiaBoy

Dislikes Received:
    Ain't had a single problem yet and I've probably flung a couple...couples of hundreds through her. I've run probably five hundred arrows through it and she's holding up just fine.

Don't be afraid of picking one up. Bowtech did a good job. Thanks for the reads and replies, guys!

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

18. MeanV2

MeanV2 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds Great! Mine should be here this week. I'll be giving it a custom look :)

Dan

19. ultramax

ultramax Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have shoot both models at the pro shop cant decide which one to get, I have a d350 but the shop dont allow trade in's,so i guess i will have to go somewhere else to buy one.. wish they would have told me that when i bought it.:(

20. MeanV2

MeanV2 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That's Crazy! I'd definitely be looking for another shop!

Dan